Coolest Places You Have Visited?

Discussion in 'Travel Polls' started by BostonBill, Dec 27, 2008.

1. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Japan (anywhere in...)
    Czech Republic
    parts

2. Lafincoyote

Lafincoyote Member

#1 - Amsterdam, absolutely the best city I've ever visited!!! #2 - Paris France ( I got along with the French! When they went into their asshole mode I could barely cease laughing at them, and they then seemed to be embarrased, and would begin to treat me much better - I speak a little French, and that helps too.) #3 - Tulsa, OK, just a cool place, lots of nice people, and I really liked it there.

3. caliente

caliente Senior Member

This is so funny. I remember my first morning in the hotel in Paris when the cleaning woman came in. She said "Bonjour" and I replied, with my very best terrible French accent, "Bone jore."

The instant she realized I was American, she gave me a withering look and wouldn't speak to me the rest of the time she was in the room.

When I was in Europe, the friendliest people to me were the Germans and the Brits. They were both so incredibly nice. I absolutely loved my time in both countries.

4. caliente

caliente Senior Member

But to answer the question, my favorite places are:

1. Chaco Canyon, New Mexico
    2. Canyonlands Nat'l Park, Utah
    3. San Francisco

5. ZoëSiili

ZoëSiili Member

Helsinki, Finland! Oh how I miss it...I met so many wonderful people.

Manhattan is nice, too, though I live so close to it, it's not a big deal to see it.

6. Lolli

Lolli Visitor

1) disney world...cause it's disney world
    2) canada...much cleaner thn the USA
    3) communes

7. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

1) Stamford,GB as it was my first travel :)
    2) Malmo, Sweden
    3) Berlin

8. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Countries or cities? Countries I'd say (in no specific order):

1) Peru (so many different ecosystems from deserts and beaches to plains to rainforest, second non-north-american country I ever traveled to, great people, great memories!)
    2) Costa Rica (the least amount of inappropriate/annoying sexual attention from guys on the street out of everywhere I've been in Latin America, ridiculously amazing landscapes and nature, lots of volunteer and eco projects, and of course really cool people)
    3) Guatemala (interesting culture and history, Tikal national park, some of the best scuba in the world is next door in Honduras, Lake Atitlan, lots to see and do)

Cities would be nearly impossible to list, but I'll put

*St John's, Newfoundland, Canada
    *Vilcabamba, Ecuador...I've never had a town actually take my breath away, but you would never believe how amazingly beautiful it is there. Very very small down in the middle of countless tree-covered mountains with views that could make your heart stop!
    *Cusco, Peru...best partying you'll find on this continent, and you can hop a beautiful beautiful train ride to Machu Piccu from there which, even for someone who has no interest in ruins and originally didn't want to go like me, is an absolutely incredible place to go
    *a river in the Bolivian rainforest right before sleeping and as the sun rises

and far too many places in Central America- Parismina and Dominical in Costa Rica, Bocas del Toro in Panama, Isla Ometepe in Nicaragua, Utila in Honduras and Lake Atitlan in Guatemala!

Seriously I'm so in love with this planet and I've barely seen any of it.

9. Perilless

Perilless Member

1. San Francisco
    2. Vancouver Island
    3. Tropical Queensland, Australia.

10. harryoung

harryoung Guest

My three favorite places are:
    - Barcelona
    -Paris
    -Rome

11. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

1. New Orleans - for music, hedonistic culture, and food
    2. San Francisco bay area - incredible beauty in all directions

I can't decide on a firm #3, but my top 7 would include Memphis (Beale Street), Niagara Falls, downtown Chicago, Key West, and Las Vegas (with side trip to Grand Canyon). I don't know how to rank them because they are all so different. I like Philadelphia too - especially the art museum and historic district.

12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Most of the islands in Hawaii-especially Hana on Maui and below Captain Cook on the big Island where I lived in the jungle.
    Key West was a cool place. Great bars and the entertainment waterfront in the evening was fun.
    Montreal was a fun place too.
    All of Canada when I traveled across in 1970. Great people. Many adventures.
    Haven't been overseas(except Hawaii-guess that's kind of overseas) but I hope I can some day.

13. Cuba
    Kenya
    Dominican Republic

14. mckarkies

mckarkies Member

i have yet to travel much, but in my lovely state of Michigan, Mackinaw Island is the shit. Great place for summer, and no cars are allowed on the island, it's beautiful. :D

15. Honeybee69

Honeybee69 Member

-Manchester,london ENGLAND
    -Amsterdam NETHERLAND
    -SPAIN
    -Paris FRANCE
    -SINGAPORE
    -Bali INDONESIA
    -INDIA
    -Kuala lumpur MALAYSIA
    -THAILAND
    -Dubai UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

16. Giant

Giant Member

Not in an exact order, top ten:

1. New York, America
    2. Rome, Italy
    3. Sicily, Italy
    4. Amsterdam, Netherlands
    5. Cork, Ireland
    6. Gothenburg, Sweden
    7. Paris, France
    8. Vienna, Austria
    9. Glasgow, Scotland
    10. London, England

17. Stacey.

Stacey. Member

I've never been abroad so I'll just say places in the UK.

1. London
    2. Liverpool
    3. Birmingham

18. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

some favorite memories-
    kyoto, 1978, smoked out in a cemetery
    east berlin on may day, 1985
    colorado city, arizona, 1994, polygamous mormon town, kinda creepy . . .

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Instanbul and Brazil for me. Amsterdam's pretty nice but not really cool if you lived in the netherlands for all your life (rather visit coffeeshops that are chill and not aimed for tourists for instance). I really enjoyed roadtripping through european countries and especially in England as well but not in the first place because of the cool places (canterbury cathedral is cooler than stonehenge...). I really wanna go to some more places in the UK next time!

20. Marchfool

Marchfool Member

Koh Phangan