Pink floyd

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by tie_dye_kid_454, Nov 23, 2008.

1. buddhabelly420

buddhabelly420 Banned

I don't belive pink floyd would even be as big as they are if syd barret had stayed. Why syd era floyd is good it lacks the melodic genius that came from dave Roger and Rick (no disrespect to nick). Floyd did something not nobody before or since has even touch with their 70s albums.

tjr1964 likes this.
  2. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

I have been a fab on and off since I was 15. I would get into fights over who was the better band member I am 31 years old. Anyway I love the music and as I have aged now that I am 31 and not a young teenager I can relate to the bands music in a different way.

Orison likes this.
  3. deleted

deleted Visitor

Obscured by Clouds..

TO many tho.

tjr1964 likes this.
  4. Little Old Wine Drinker

Little Old Wine Drinker Senior Member

Saw Pink Floyd twice in 1969 at very small venues - they were the first band I saw live.

Even then Syd had already been gone for a year.

I don't agree with the people who say they wouldn't have been so big if Syd hadn't gone off the rails and stayed with the band. They'd have been bigger quicker with Syd, but would have been an altogether different sort of band without Gilmour's musicianship to complement Wright's.

tjr1964 likes this.
  5. Most overrated band on the planet.

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Well technically the only REAL pink floyd was with SYD so after he left,they werent the same band.....

I love thier first album and RELICS!! (1971)

7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

That's awesome you got to see them then, from what I've heard, their live stuff is alot better than their studio work during that era.

Based off Piper at the Gates of Dawn and the couple tracks he was featured on A Saucerful of Secrets, there is nothing there that really suggests that they would have developed into what they did with their masterpieces from DSOTM on throughout the rest of the 70's.

Syd's lyrics and singing favored the more fanciful and whimsical aspects of Psychedelic Rock rather than contemplative, he had some decent riffs but alot of his guitar playing verged on being too chaotic. I'm not sure how well all that would have translated post hippie era.

Gilmour's bends and tone on the Guitar are Amazing, I think that is a key ingredient to their legendary status.

Libbygrable87 likes this.
  8. Little Old Wine Drinker

Yes, there was a big difference between live and studio. They released More and Ummagumma that year, yet I don't recall the band playing studio tracks off them. It was mainly songs off the first two albums like the live part of Ummagumma. I found some of their set lists online from that period. It appears they did briefly play some of the new stuff live, but quickly reverted to the old favourites.

I guess we'll never know for sure what would have happened if Syd had stayed, but Gilmour says in one interview that he could have been a huge star if he'd not had his drug/mental health problems. I don't deny the importance of Gilmour's guitar playing. I think he has said that, although he was a better technical player than Syd, it was Syd who had the greater creativity. However, I'd say the later mega success of the band arose out of the remaining four working together as a creative team.

I just loved the four of them playing together as a unit with little in the way of effects pre Dark Side of the Moon. Waters described them as being a band of brothers before superstardom led to inevitable divisions. I don't consider that any of them has ever reached quite the same heights as solo artists or in the later version of the band after Waters left.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  9. Little Old Wine Drinker

I too had a bit of a problem with their massive acclaim after Dark Side. It appears from The Wall that Roger did too. Not the loveable hippy band of the late sixties anymore. The best artists aren't always the most successful, it's down to business acumen as well as musical talent. Nevertheless, nobody can deny the quality and originality of their best works.

10. Little Old Wine Drinker

Same for Fleetwood Mac post Peter Green or the Moody Blues post Denny Laine and later post Mike Pinder. It's happened time and time again. Sometimes, it helps the new band - sometimes it doesn't

In the case of the second line up of Lindisfarne, the name was an albatross around their necks that prevented them from developing as a band. What would have happened if Led Zeppelin hadn't dropped the New Yardbirds name?

Who can say which is the real version of a particular band - what's in a name, anyway.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

This!

scratcho likes this.
  12. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Yea David Gilmour is a very great guitarist. And vocalist. When I went to London (as I'm sure I've previously mentioned in this thread) we were lucky enough to catch the "Their Mortal Remains" Pink Floyd exhibit at the Victoria & Albert museum. It was everything you could imagine about Pink Floyd. I remember they had a little mixing station where you could remix "Money" and everyone could hear it in their headphones... (headphones are part of the exhibit. as you walk through you hear the presentation).

13. rebeldharma420

rebeldharma420 Members

wheather they would have been better with Syd is subbjective to each person. my opinion is no they would not have.

14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Well then first album with SYD is quite good :)

15. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

Back in 1987, I went to go to the Music Institute and was still trying to get over a my High School Sweet Heart breaking my heart .
    I was living in Fair Fax and this gorgeous Mexican American gal was sobbing and she came over to me, so I " 420'ed with her and she told me her boyfriend dumped her, but she had two tickets for the Pink Floyd Momentary Lapse of Reason concert that evening .

That night everyone that night left knowing that Pink Floyd had more shelf life, even after Roger Waters left the band .
    Best live show ever !!!!

16. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I liked Piper at the Gates of Dawn, but I thought Syd's two solo albums -put together with the assistance of Pink Floyd were a bit ordinary.