Pink floyd

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by tie_dye_kid_454, Nov 23, 2008.

1. chugtonio

chugtonio Member

to answer the question its too hard to tell either way the band would create unbelievable music but I really love Gilmour's guitar work especially on ECHOES its like sex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJ_QVfT_wM

the improv jam session at 6:30 is the stuff im talking about, he was way ahead of his time, but than again no guitarist has really come close to his style

2. Susiecreamcheese

Susiecreamcheese Member

I love syds stuff, but some of it is incredibly hard to listen too, you can hear the confusion and the madness. He was a true genius, but it just wasn't to be. Too much acid. After the lost weekend they said one of his pupils was more dilated than the other - a sign of serious brain damage - apparently.

For me, the best stuff came after Syd and before Rog left.

Most of the Giilmour led PF stuff lacks feeling imo - even if it is okay to listen too.

3. Lumini

Lumini Member

I agree. Although written mostly by Waters, The Wall is my favorite PF album, by far.

4. gentry66

gentry66 Guest

Definately would have been.I'm a Who fan so different musical styles, but started in the same era etc. They went too visual and conceptual in the seventies. let the fxxxxxx music do the talking- not big fxxxxxx stage shows.So yes I do believe Pink Floyd would have better music-although they are very successful and well liked around the world-just over-rated i think.

5. Electrocuted

Electrocuted Guest

Hi, I'm a big fan of Floyd.
    Maybe it rubbed off somewhere in my music.
    Anyway here is the plug www.paulhayworth.bandcamp.com (listening is free!)

6. O.W.L

O.W.L Member

Gilmore is soo f-ing hot. lovely shirtless man. :gorgeous:

7. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I like the early stuff with Syd, and the latter stuff without.
    Bith have their own attributes to enjoy meThinks, however,
    Syd was a persona of complication and being within a mind of confussion is never easy to relate to.
    One can only appreciate the talent that was with gratitude, and may have been that to come, in awe

8. BuryMeInSmoke

BuryMeInSmoke Member

One of the reasons why I got into Pink Floyd was David Gilmour. Of course, everyone in the band was great but me being a guitar player, his playing really stood out to me. As good as Syd was, I think it was the right thing to do by letting him go. Dark Side of the Moon is musical perfection, I couldn't imagine it ever altered in anyway.

9. chordcat

chordcat Member

I like Syd's work, too, a lot actually. I don't think Pink Floyd would have necessarily been 'better', but they would have been 'different.' They had more of an experimental, psychedelic flavor with Syd, I think they would have remained on that path and could very well have fallen into obscurity. Syd had a different creative flow with the band, than the band had with Gilmour. David Gilmour, along with Syd's departure of the band and the making of Darkside, propelled them into the mainstream. I don't think Pink Floyd would have been 'better', I enjoy Gilmour's work with the band as well as Syd's. But any listener can say that they sound like different bands all together (Syd PF vs. David PF).

I think Roger Waters took on more of the creative reigns after Syd left, would that have been the case if Syd stayed? Who knows. I like the Syd Barret work with PF for what it was...and I think the band would have followed that path. Gilmour's style is SO different from Barrett's: Gilmour's signature is slow-bending, emotionally-charged solos, while Barrett's was a whimsical, playful style. I think they would have just had a different fan base...but hey, I wouldn't trade Darkside of the Moon for anything.

10. Sunsofcymbaline

Sunsofcymbaline Guest

I do love Syd, but I feel that if he was still in the band the albums wouldn't sound the same and they would've been hendered by his mental issues and vast usage of drugs.

11. Bolero

Bolero Banned

Syd Barret was not a musician. I find the stuff with Syd hard to listen to. Floyd were definitely better off without him.

12. mystic eye

mystic eye Banned

the floyd would have never been the floyd as we no them with sid. yes sid stuff is good but in my opinion its a product of the stg pepper era. david gilmour is floyd

13. opel diamond

opel diamond burn out

no he really isn't. MLOR and DB are pure crud compared to the floyd with waters involved. Gilmour is a superiour musician to waters without doubt and his guitar work makes floyd so epic but as far as who was 'floyd' it was all of them, from syd to gilmour and everyone in between. but without roger there would be no DSOTM or no wall. he was the driving force behind the band. gilmour let himself become a puppet so he is NOT the floyd.

14. mystic eye

mystic eye Banned

i dont agree. dark side of the moon wasn't just a roger Walter's album david gilmour and roger wrote a lot of dark side together with rick . again it was david who come up with most of the music for the wish you where here album and animals. and division Bell is a great album.

15. opel diamond

opel diamond burn out

hence me saying that david was a superiour musician. i don't have any arguement that he created most of the music for the albums but if it wasn't for rogers ideas and drive, gilmour would have had nothing to make music for. DSOTM, The Wall, WYWH, Animals....all of these albums were born out of rogers head and then the other band members were involved and encouraged to add to this, but without roger being the brains of the albums they would never have come to fruition.

gilmours lyrics are weak as his solo albums show and his ideas are nothing special, waters was the creator of the albums and the creater of the ideas....david, rick and nick then set them to music, added their ideas into the mix and the result is a nearly always perfect one. both david and rogers solo albums both show without any doubt where the talents lie, one in musicianship and one in ideas and lyrics.

16. storch

storch banned

Still relevant after all these years . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeVhhHRDcQU"]I'm A Stranger Here -- Five Man Electrical Band - YouTube

17. storch

storch banned

Even more relevant today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4fWN6VvgKQ"]The Youngbloods - Get Together - YouTube

18. JasmineFlower

JasmineFlower Guest

I love all of Pink Floyd's music, and Syd is my hero. Seriously like my favorite person ever, but I think Syd leaving the band was meant to be and their stuff after him was even better, especially with David, my second favorite member. If Syd stayed with Pink Floyd there would be no DSOTM!

19. erica lalala

erica lalala Member

Syd was a genius and I'm inclined to feel like PF would still have been big if he stayed, but I'm still such a big fan of Gilmour and Waters work together that I think I prefer Floyd without him over with him.

20. ganjabomber

ganjabomber Senior Member

you raise a good point.. i wonder how they would've been as a 5 piece.. i dont think its much sense bringing up the question tho, it just didn't happen. it's not like it ever will.
    most of the chatter i hear about pink floyd is people ogling over syd barrett and Piper and saying how the rest of floyd's albums just weren't as good. somebody on the forums was telling me The Wall was something like "the worst album in rock"... that's just mind blowing to me.. i know barrett was a hell of a guitar player and song writer, but it doesn't make pink floyd's later work any less mind blowing and progressive. whatchu think?