Welcome to the Meme forum!

Discussion in 'Meme' started by skip, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Anoni Domini

Anoni Domini Member

2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

OK, now I can see clearly you guys are the ones who have no idea what a meme is. Thanks for the heads up. :)

I admit the definition I posted includes "catch-phrases", and you could claim IB is one too, but that definition is from 1976, and our understanding of cultural memes has changed since then.

In any case my definition of a meme is one that actually ALTERS CONSCIOUSNESS and behavior on a long term basis.

I suppose there are subcategories of memes that would encompass both our definitions.

When you arrived you did start the Anon "Meme Bath", which included all the above. I would say the MEME is ANONYMOUS itself, not the jargon you use. Just as IB is the meme, not necessarily any jargon associated with it.

3. moarxenu

moarxenu Guest

Oh hai thar hippiefags. Oh Lawd dat sum memefaggotry.

Thx for allowing anon to play in your forums. Srsly, I rly appreciate your hospitality and hope fellow 420fags will check out the cause.

Scifags are bent on eradicating psychiatry, psychology, and form of spirituality that is not Hubbard Tech, and all psycho-active substances.

These fuckers must go down.

[​IMG]

4. OldTroll

OldTroll Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There are memes within memes like Russian nesting dolls.

5. OldTroll

OldTroll Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In ‘71-’72 I worked in the Strategic Air Command underground dealing with SAC’s big honking IBM computer. Many of the kids that worked on the computer were hippies that had joined the A.F. to avoid going to ‘Nam and coming home in a box.

They were super-active in developing clandestine computer hookups for personal communications. A lot of their earlier tricks led to DARPA and that dumb freakin’ politician inventing the internet.

6. stratface

stratface Member

I CAN HAZ SUM MOAR MUDKIPS?

had to. kill me please.

so i can be an hero.

7. stratface

stratface Member

god damn, if this is the first sign of the hipforums turning into 4chan, i'm bailing out.

8. -moonshine-memi-

-moonshine-memi- Member

9. Agent R

Agent R Banned

A meme (pronounced /miːm/) is any idea or behavior that can pass from one person to another by learning or imitation. Examples include thoughts, ideas, theories, gestures, practices, fashions, habits, songs, and dances. Memes propagate themselves and can move through the cultural sociosphere in a manner similar to the contagious behavior of a virus.

In hippie words, you can't force it skip, a real meme needs to flow like the wind let nature be your guide, would you try to guide the way the Jay flies, would you try to force a tree to grow upside down?...

10. Dave_techie

Dave_techie I call Sheniangans

you can, but it takes entirely too much time and effort to be worth it.

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

Meme Sex, Meme Mods, and Meme Fights
    The title of this sums up the three things memes do when they interact. They can have sex (create a new meme), modify each other, or duke it out (killing one or both). I figured I could use more interesting terms to make the topic a bit more approachable.
    When memes have sex they can create new memes. For example, when a flying squirrel meme (aka sugar gliders) has meme sex with a ninja meme, a flying attack squirrel meme may arise. Granted this one may be a bit out there, but the contribution of the parent memes is clear (plus it's fun to think about).
    Memes modify each other. A religious meme on abortion may affect a political meme on abortion. A financial status meme may affect a potential car meme. A design for a laser cannon meme may shorten the time table on the global domination meme. The possibilities are endless..
    Finally, memes duke it out all the time. And by duke it out, I mean to the death. A "I'm partying tonight" meme could easily be killed by the "I have to work tomorrow morning" meme (or possibly the other way around). Or more seriously, a evolutionism meme could kill a creationism meme...
    All three of these things could happen within a single persons mind, or in the process of two people interacting. Either way, it can be fun to think about (or experiment with in your head, because meme sex can be fun..

12. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Why would the hipforums glorify a concept like meme?

To me this definition is so close to propaganda and marketting hype that I find revelling in it as a bit bizzare.

13. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

i suppose it's a linguistic programming thing.

14. R's Sock

R's Sock Banned

You know gardener, that's kinda my point...

15. prana

prana Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  16. Rudenoodle

Rudenoodle Minister of propaganda Lifetime Supporter

The bomb 1950's = Atomic bomb. (get under your desks!)

The bomb 1990's = An expression of excitement (That's the bomb!)

The bomb 2000's = Atomic bomb, Dirty bomb, Truck bomb. ect, ect, ect...

I don't think I know what you guys are talking about, but am I close? lol

17. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Yeah that

18. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Kewl forum idea. There's only book that I carry everywhere I go, and that's a paperback copy of Dawkins' The Selfish Gene. A truly brilliant scientist and educator, he is.

19. political squaw

political squaw Member

20. BTS

BTS Member

béke