Welcome to the Meme forum!

Discussion in 'Meme' started by skip, Nov 5, 2008.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Our recent interaction with Anonymous, an Internet phenomenon, inspired me to create a forum where we can discuss, share, and create new memes!

One definition of a Meme

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

My idea is that we can come up with some new interesting memes and test them out on the HipForums then release the ones that work into the greater community.

We already spread memes here on the Hipforums, but we're not really aware of when or how we are doing it. That is the nature of memes.

What I'm proposing is that we become more conscious of the memes that we are exposed to and how they are transmitted. Then we can consciously work to spread social/political or other memes that pass the test here.

So wadda ya think?

2. skip

To give you an example of a meme, let's start with the word, hippie...

It's just a word, a noun, but it's also so much more.

It started as a word to describe someone considered "hip" or "in the know" about things that the greater society was unaware. The first people labeled "hippies" were actually beatniks.

Then the media got hold of it...

It suddenly became a new meme that spread across America and the world.

It was a word that now represented a lifestyle exemplified by the thousands of young people converging on San Francisco during the Summer of Love.

So the word "hippie" encapsulated the youth movement's most visible traits: long hair, drugs, free sex, colorful clothes, rebelliousness, freedom-loving, etc.

But the negative connotations of the word that the media and public soon associated with the word quickly dominated. Then the slurs dirty hippies, fucking hippies, etc. changed the meme enough to dissuade later generations from following the hippie path.

Recognizing how badly the meme had been trashed, I made an attempt to reclaim the word and restore it to respectability so new generations might not be afraid of the meme and be willing to check it out more.

That was the birth of hippy.com, and it was a conscious effort on my part to change the way people viewed the 60s, which at the time (mid 1990s) had been revised so much by the far-right, you'd think every problem since then was due to leftwing potsmoking hippies.

I could not let that mindset stand.

You can judge whether hippy.com has influenced the views of the 60+ million people who have visited the site in the last 12 years.

Actually the word "hippie" is a lot more than a meme, but the mental set people have when they hear the word or see a "hippie" is a result of the associated meme.

3. Jaitaiyai

Jaitaiyai Cianpo di tutti capi

haha.. cool.
    I was scrolling down the forums, and i thought i saw meme.
    I double checked, and its true!!
    I thought i was seeing things.

:D
    nice idea.

4. Stephæ

Stephæ Member

Sweet, I'd like to try this out on the world in front of our eyes. It would be a good learning experience.

5. MagicPuff

MagicPuff Member

A meme is essentially a unit of cultural information. The hippie culture already has it's own set of existing memes. They have just never been referred to as a meme before.

Memes are created when the idea or usage is first implemented & people start to repeat it (naturally).

Protip: By announcing that a potential budding meme, is a meme, you have have most likely killed it. You cannot decide that something will be a new meme.

This is just something that you just have to let be & it will come about on it's own. You can't force it.

6. Living Corpse

Living Corpse Member

ITT: An old hippie trying to become an Oldfag by wrapping his mind around memes, and trying to implant his seed in the std-ridden **** of the internet.

also, cocks

7. skip

LMAO. You guys know shit about hippies. Yes, we invented memes. Some of the purposely and consciously, just as I am doing here. Most of them before you guys were invented by your parents.

Here's a little meme hippies consciously invented...

THE INTERNET.

Got it?

How did we do that?

We dropped successive doses of pure LSD and smoked endless bongs.

It opened our minds to a new universe of memes.

Lurk and Lrn moar before you comment.

8. Fuckeye

Fuckeye Banned

Sorry, you're saying hippies invented the internet?

9. skip

So notice how our memes succeeded in transforming society.

And they say we failed.

FUCKIN' HA!

The laugh is on those who say that because you Anon would not be here if not for us expanding our minds.

10. skip

Duh!

Lrn to Google.

11. Fuckeye

Fuckeye Banned

So, you're saying that DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency), who were, and still are, responsible for a nation's security, were a bunch of hippies?

I'm not buying it.

12. skip

13. skip

You guys should lrn who Stewart Brand is because he is one Old Hippie who is still active in a variety of causes & organizations include the EFF (which he cofounded), The Well (which he cofounded - the first successful BBS) and lots more.

It's become abundantly clear now why you Gen X & Gen Y don't get it.

Your dissing us needs to end or you won't get far with us.

Respect those who made your "thing" possible.

We've tolerated your ignorance to this point.

Now there is no longer any excuse.

No more excuses for your trolls either, thank you.

14. skip

I need to point out the reason Gen X & Gen Y are so completely ignorant about hippies.

It's due to the Conservative propaganda campaign that started with Nixon continued thru Reagan until the dying days of the BuSHIT admin right now.

It started with COINTELPRO (google it to see what we've had to fight against).

It continued with a huge flood of books blaming every problem since the 60s on hippie liberals.

It pervaded every school where lies were told, history was distorted to turn you all into robot consumers, the very thing we fought against.

You gen Xers bought that line hook and sinker too. Therefore many of you hate us, even today.

Lose that meme you absorbed because it's not only false but counterproductive.

Go to http://www.hippy.com Read the articles there. Esp. the ones in the Activism section. You just might lrn something.

We are not done creating memes yet.

And it is not your place to tell us we can't, IBs.

15. Fuckeye

Fuckeye Banned

Here's your problem:

"As Steven Levy chronicled in his 1984 book"

"In the years since Levy's book...At the same time, they have transformed the Defense Department-sponsored ARPAnet into what has become the global digital epidemic known as the Internet."

Now look at the dates on wikipedia (due to needing to give you something as a source, I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it). The whole protocol of the internet was finalised before the book was published.

16. skip

Nice OUT OF CONTEXT quote there. Are you just trolling us or what?

"In the years since Levy's book, a fourth generation of revolutionaries has come to power. Still abiding by the Hacker Ethic, these tens of thousands of netheads have created myriad computer bulletin boards and a nonhierarchical linking system called Usenet. At the same time, they have transformed the Defense Department-sponsored ARPAnet into what has become the global digital epidemic known as the Internet. The average age of today's Internet users, who number in the tens of millions, is about 30 years. Just as personal computers transformed the '80s, this latest generation knows that the Net is going to transform the '90s. With the same ethic that has guided previous generations, today's users are leading the way with tools created initially as "freeware" or "shareware," available to anyone who wants them."

He's discussing here the FOURTH GENERATION. Three others gens of hippie computer hackers preceded the one in your quote.

Sorry you lose this argument. Why even bother to deny history?

17. skip

Here's what you should've quoted:

"In the 1960s and early '70s, the first generation of hackers emerged in university computer-science departments. They transformed mainframes into virtual personal computers, using a technique called time sharing that provided widespread access to computers. Then in the late '70s, the second generation invented and manufactured the personal computer. These nonacademic hackers were hard-core counterculture types - like Steve Jobs, a Beatle-haired hippie who had dropped out of Reed College, and Steve Wozniak, a Hewlett-Packard engineer. Before their success with Apple, both Steves developed and sold "blue boxes," outlaw devices for making free telephone calls. Their contemporary and early collaborator, Lee Felsenstein, who designed the first portable computer, known as the Osborne 1, was a New Left radical who wrote for the renowned underground paper the Berkeley Barb. "

I think the main problem with ANON is thinking you KNOW EVERYTHING.

You don't know what has been hidden from you by the powers that be.

You don't know what transpired before you sucked your mom's tits.

You haven't learned the lessons of the REAL history.

You have been brainwashed, just like scientologists, into being robot consumers.

How's that working out for your generation these days?

18. Fuckeye

Fuckeye Banned

No, I'm not trolling:

The quote was shortened, as I saw no point in copying the whole thing, you can see what it was. The end was omitted due to it being completely irrelevant.
    Yes, this was the fourth generation. Due to this being the one that supposedly made the internet what it is, as the article states.
    Not one part of that article CONCLUSIVELY states that all those that were known as hackers were hippies. You've gave a couple of examples, which could be right, but what about Tim Berners-Lee?

Edit: Christ, put it all in one reply, it's a lot easier to respond properly that way.

19. skip

Hippies SAW the future, and it wasn't looking pretty.

We left the cities and went back to nature cause we knew sooner or later unbridled capitalism would meet its end (it has taken longer than expected, but we're getting close now).

Now many of us are making preparations for what is to come.

You dissed HippyHillbilly, yet he is one who is helping many to prepare for the future.

The future that Gen X and Gen Y have guaranteed us with their insatiable appetites and never ending greed.

As we have been trying to point out to Anon since the day you arrived. There are far more pressing concerns to ALL OF US than Scientology.

There is NO TIME left to be distracted by such B.S. The future of our species lies in the balance.

Scientology ain't goin' nowhere, but every fuckin' day the health of our planet's ecosystem deteriorates further.

So that's why ppl like HHB don't give you more time.

We have too much important work to do in the time remaining to us to effect change to be LULZing all over the Internet.

We PRAY your generations get your priorities straight while there is still time.

"We are here to make a better world. No amount of rationalization or blaming can preempt the moment of choice each of us brings to our situation here on this planet. The lesson of the '60s is that people who cared enough to do right could change history. We didn't end racism but we ended legal segregation. We ended the idea that you could send half-a-million soldiers around the world to fight a war that people do not support. We ended the idea that women are second-class citizens. We made the environment an issue that couldn't be avoided. The big battles that we won cannot be reversed. We were young, self-righteous, reckless, hypocritical, brave, silly, headstrong and scared half to death. And we were right."
    - Abbie Hoffman

AND WE ARE STILL RIGHT!

20. skip

The Internet was a meme invented by hippies.

Darpa funded the research at Universities. Hippies carried out the research as students.

Hippies did more organizing in the 60s and spreading of memes than you can imagine. Anon is child's play in comparison (but has potential to be much more).

Hippy.com is there to reclaim the Hippie meme from the conservatives.

It worked!