To spay or not to spay

Discussion in 'Animal Advocates Support' started by Indica.Skye, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Indica.Skye

Indica.Skye Member

What is your guy's opinion on this? Neutering too.

My dog is a female, and we just got her spayed. Only it sounds so cruel to me, taking out her uterus and ovaries. She was in pain all day yesterday and all she did was sit in her bed and quiver. :(

They said it's better for her health, but is it really?

2. rojored

rojored Member

I personally would'nt have my dog spayed,i think that it breaks the dog's spirit.

3. Ludicrous

Ludicrous Member

Spaying and neutering is really just an attempt to keep the stray populations down and not have to euthanize hundreds of unwanted kittens and puppies every month. It's also difficult, if not impossible, for pet owners with multiple pets to keep them from having babies without getting them "fixed." What do you think is going to happen to all those babies? It's not good.

I had my dog neutered, and I don't think it broke his spirit at all. Also, he doesn't hump strangers' legs like his daddy did (although that might have been more because I trained my dog, and his daddy's owners left him alone in the backyard most of the time.) I think it helps if you have it done at a young age. I can see it breaking the spirit of an older dog.

However, if you have a pet, and don't plan on ever getting another of the opposite sex, and are prepared to keep a close watch on him/her whenever your pet is around other animals, and don't let him/her wander the streets (that's a bad idea for a dog anyway), then I don't see a reason not to not spay/neuter your pet. Your pet-owning friends probably won't want to watch your pet for the weekend, though.

4. IllCanabillyVanilly

IllCanabillyVanilly Senior Member

First thing, neutering the term for both males and females. Castration is actually the proper term for neutering males.

I was taught in animal care that you should get your animals spayed or castrated. it prevents different types of cancers and it will NOT destroy your pets spirit. a castarted male dog or cat will not become effeminate and a spayed female dog or cat will not change in behavior despite what cartoons have shown you.

It might sound cruel at the moment but getting her spayed can save her life in the long run. would you rather have a spayed dog with no ovaries or a dog with ovaries giving her a chance of getting ovarian cancer?

5. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

All 3 of my dogs are spayed & they are all very spirited. We have 3 dogs because a neighbor's dog got loose and impregnated our dog. You can be a very responsible pet owner & still accidently add to pet over-population, which is why our mama dog's 2 daughters were spayed early.

6. Indica.Skye

Indica.Skye Member

7. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

yes it is better for your pet. it cuts their risk of cancer involving the uterus/ovaries and prevents her from having puppies (which could be unhealthy or unwanted with no home), and stops her from the chance of dying while birthing, if that was to occur.

8. OldTroll

OldTroll Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It’s too bad that most of the responses have been emotion generated.

Your situation is similar to mine Indica.Skye. I’ve been a responsible cat caregiver (no one owns a cat) since the late ‘60s and have always spayed my babies. In the last few years I’ve had a growing concern that it is nothing more than mutilation of a poor animal that has no say in the matter.

For many generation people in the U.S. have mutilated their own children’s penises just because it was popular! Most physicians said that it prevented disease and most clerics said that it prevented masturbation. Neither is or was true!

Almost all veterinarians recommend spaying to prevent cancer. Stop and consider whether of not their recommendation might be biased by their financial interest.

Now please excuse me while I go get my hands amputated. People my age often get arthritis in their fingers .... and thanks to many responses in this thread I know how to prevent it.

Yesterday I asked a similar question in another forum .... got unbelievable responses!

Have fun, play safely, and love your cat!

9. OldTroll

Castration is only one method of neutering males.

I would only spay my female cats if they were to accidentally get impregnated. I would do the same for all the young girls that get pregnant and go on welfare as well!

10. Biida

Biida Member

Before my dog was neutered he still peed like a boy Now he pees like a girl. He'll never get his manhood back. Poor thing. :(

11. OldTroll

That's not the only thing he'll never get - - back or otherwise!

Om Muni Muni
    Mahāmuni
    Śākyamuni
    Svāhā

12. Tobias

Tobias Member

To have your animal altered is simply the humane and correct thing to do both in terms of their health and in support of the effort to reduce pet overpopulation. It is a scientific fact that an altered pet benefits from the procedure in both physical health, longevity and temperament too. Also, a competent veterinarian uses pain medications which negate the short time discomfort during and following the procedure. If you take you pet in to be altered, assume nothing and insist they provide your pet with ample medication both during the procedure and something to take home with you afterward too.

As a government computer analyst, I designed and implemented a computer network at our county dog pound back in the early 1990's and during the course of my work there, I discovered that even in a relatively low population rural county such as San Luis Obispo, California; they were literally killing thousands of unwanted puppies and dogs and tens of thousands of unwanted kittens and cats. As a result of what I discovered in the course of my work, I volunteered my time and expertise on the weekends to our local humane society who were badly in need of more efficient computing power to better save their many unwanted animals too.

I suggest that anyone out there who professes that it is better not to alter their pets simply take a tour of your local animal shelter and experience the misery you are causing with your ignorance.

13. OldTroll

I suggest that you have yourself altered to improve your health and reduce over population. Take a tour of the downtown area of the nearest large city and view the misery of the homeless humans.

People that have to hide behind euphemisms usually have pretty weak arguments. What you call altering is more akin to cutting off his testicles!

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Svāhā

[​IMG]

Getting high
    With a little help ….
    from my friends!

14. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

One of my bunnies is neutered, getting the other one done soon.
    The neutered bunny is much less aggressive, and much easier to train.

If I could afford it Id get myself snipped too.

15. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Give me a break. Humans have condoms they can use to prevent overpopulation, and we also (ideally) have freedom of choice for when and who we have sex with. Animals fuck whenever they feel horny, and female dogs and cats don't exactly have the right to say "no." Animals cannot be made aware of the larger overpopulation problem that plagues their species.

The human population problem that exists today is NOT because we're all having more sex than we were 500 years ago. It exists because we've made so many advancements in medicine and technology, so we are living longer and not dying in childhood as much as we used to.

And are you forgetting the fact that the animal is under anesthesia during surgery?? You act like vets just chop off balls randomly. I'm sure there's minor discomfort when they wake up, but after only a few days the animal is happy again and has forgotten all about it. My dog was neutered, and at age 16 she still loves going to the vet. If she were really traumatized, why would she still love to go visit him?

You're making assumptions based on your human feelings, not on science, and not on what's in the animals best interest. Your anthropomorphizing is NOT HELPING any animal.

16. OldTroll

I’m sure that the physician would use an anesthetic while neutering Tobias, and that there would me only minor discomfort. You’re anthropomorphizing your dog when you use him as an example …. for not connecting the veterinarian with the castration.

I’ve read many of your posts Ms. Strawberry Fields, and you appear to be intelligent, educated, and have a good heart; but I think that you are off base on this subject. I am surprised that you took my facetious remark to Tobias about viewing the homeless as being serious …..

Have fun and play safely!

17. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Off base??

Do you agree that there is an overpopulation problem among dogs and cats? (I'm just talking about dogs and cats, let's leave human comparisons out of the argument)

If you do not agree that there's an overpopulation problem among dogs and cats, then I'm afraid you're living in a dream world and I can no longer argue with you and keep my sanity.

If you do agree that there's an overpopulation problem, that what exactly are you offering as an ALTERNATIVE solution?? You can't just point fingers and say it's unnatural so we shouldn't do it--that still leaves dogs and cats overpopulated, with no current alternative than to kill the unwanted ones. Are you suggesting this is preferable to preventing reproduction? Of course it would be better if we lived in a world where dog and cat populations were balanced, there was no need for surgery, and sunshine and rainbows happened everyday.

But we don't. We live in a world where sociopaths put animals through more cruelty than anyone can imagine, sometimes for no reason at all. People burn animals alive, deliberately drown them, abandon them with no food or water. Think of the way we treat farm animals for god's sake, and you're trying to tell me that putting an animal through one anesthetized surgery during it's 12-15 year lifetime is cruel??

I'm sorry, but until you offer another REALISTIC alternative to neutering or euthanizing, I have no reason to agree with you.

18. OldTroll

Ms. Strawberry Fields Forever - - My realistic alternative to neutering or euthanizing is preventing intercourse ... just what many parents practice with their daughters.

It appears that we will have to agree to disagree on this subject and you may have the final word m'lady.

EDIT: Great final post Dr. Kate! :cheers2:
    (others see post #19 below)

Michelle Obama 2016

19. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

What if your cat is an outdoor cat? What about feral cat colonies? How are we to control their population? What happens if your dog gets out? What if another dog sneaks into your yard?

Even if every pet owner were responsible enough to keep their pet properly restrained at all times, not every pet has an owner. If a stray encounters your unneutered animal, then you just contributed 5-10 more animals to the world that now need to find homes. It just isn't practical or realistic. By using your logic, I could say that we should ban condoms, because I always use the rhythm method, so therefore everyone should use it.

20. Tobias

Tobias Member

To "OldTroll"

Those of us who resort to teenager style personal attacks usually have no argument at all as compared to those of us who use euphemisms in and effort to educate rather than offend the unenlightened. Obviously, your are entrenched in your dogma and only government legislation forcing you to do the right thing will convince you of the error of your ways. If you truly live in California, the time is coming soon where propositional state law will force you to do the right thing by your pet or face the criminal/financial consequences of your inhumanity towards your pets and the needless suffering your decisions are causing at our animal shelters.

To "Strawberry Fields Forever"

I want to thank you for helping me in speaking up for what is right by our animals who are counting on us to watch out for their health and well being. It is good to see I am not alone in my belief that humane compassion is the true embodiment of what being a "Hippy" is all about, in every sense of word.

I believe we are both wasting our time and energy on this person, since he is obviously caught up in his ego and neither you, I or the many animals out there in misery are going to convince him through this forum or otherwise.