Minimum school age getting lower and lower

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by MunaJadida, Oct 24, 2008.

1. MunaJadida

MunaJadida Member

This is a little bit of a vent. I was thinking last week about how kids used to start school at 6 or 7. Then it went to 5. Now kids are expected to go to preschool at 3 or 4 and people keep going on and on about how very important preschool is. It crossed my mind that eventually daycare/preschool is going to be "mandatory" just like public school is starting at the age of 1 or 2. That idea scared the hell out of me. Not two days after I had this thought, I saw an editorial in the local paper about how education MUST start at birth. It was written by a former teacher. She talked about how by the time they get to kindergarten, they've already learned so many bad habits and it's too late for some of them to become good readers or even good citizens.

This freaks me out so much. It feels like we're heading to the point of having kids raised by the government entirely. Mandatory boarding schools even. I know that's probably a little melodramatic, but government education just keeps expanding. From the ages of 3 to 18, most kids are in school. Then they go to college and that's at least 4 more years (even longer now to get a bachelor's degree - it takes most people 5 or 6 years). Used to be with a diploma, you could get a decent job and take care of your family. Now you have to have a bachelor's to make decent money. How much longer before you have to have a master's degree to be able to support your family on one paycheck? It just seems like the push for the government to be in control is getting younger and lasting longer so that they can make sure you're a "good citizen" and be the kind of person they want you to be. KWIM?

2. Ludicrous

Ludicrous Member

I always thought that the only thing you learned in pre-school was your abc's and 123's. I also learned the United States Pledge and, since it was a church-sponsored pre-school, a couple prayers. I only went for a few hours each day, and a good part of that time was spent eating or playing. A lot of focus was put on playing nice with other kids and picking up toys after playtime was over, skills easily learned if one has siblings, or goes to a daycare. I learned nothing there that I couldn't easily learn at home with the help of my parents. In fact, I was taught it all again at the start of kindergarten. What are they teaching kids in pre-school these days that is so important? Perhaps you have a point.

I've also noticed that kids have a lot more homework than I did in elementary. I almost never had any homework during my first few years of school. A worksheet every now and then, but I could usually finish them during class. By the time my youngest sister started school, she was getting homework almost every day, even in kindergarten and first grade. She found it very stressful. Kindergarteners should not have to deal with stress from schoolwork!

I'm not entirely sure what the teacher you mention is referring to when she says "bad habits" but it sounds like she's claiming parents aren't qualified to raise their children correctly.

3. Living Corpse

Living Corpse Member

not to worry, as soon as oil runs out, there wont be a need for these "decent" jobs, so you wont really need a degree.

College is just highschool for 20 year olds, a purchase of a piece of paper that says the recipient is intelligent, and a quick way to start aquiring debt.

If the government really does follow that teachers advice, just leave the country, or live on the fringes of society.

4. MunaJadida

MunaJadida Member

Nice as it sounds to be able to just leave the country, it's not always a practical solution. For one thing, it takes money to move somewhere else, which I don't have. For another thing, I have a son and I'm divorced from his dad. My ex has a right to see his son and I could be deported if I illegally took off with my son to another country without my ex's permission. Also, if the shit hits the fan, a lot of people are going to be trying to leave. Countries are going to start barring immigration from the US.

5. MunaJadida

MunaJadida Member

Double post, sorry.

6. Valdis

Valdis Member

I don't like it either. The endless acceleration of education in general is just sad and wrong for most.

Most people think they "have" to send their child to 5-K.