why are you a vegetarian

Discussion in 'Animal Advocates Support' started by behindthesun93, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Sadhu

Sadhu Member

Consider this:

Plants, although they seem not as "alive" as animals; have in reality evolved further than us animals. We know this by the amount of genomes in the dna of plants. Just because plants do not act as we do, does not mean they are any less alive. THey have chosen a different evolutionary path, completely different from animals but they are most def. ALIVE. The only way(unfortunately) animals can gain energy is through the use of other living things. This is a fact of nature, of our earth. Death is life, life is death.

Because we are more like animals, we feel more them. See past your human bias.

2. TheChangingTide

TheChangingTide Visitor

Would I eat the flesh of a "humanely" killed animal? No. That "creature" which is going to be eaten as a yummy "steak" is in fact a reflection of the divine creator and I am going to end it's existence so I can put something unnatural in my body that doesn't belong?

Look at the human body. It's not designed for meat. no way. No canines. no claws. Imagine a human trying to run down a deer in the wild with his bare hands and killing the thing and taking a bite out of it's throat ... YEAH RIGHT!

Fishing is cruel. Fish are smart. They feel pain. I suspect they have souls. The fish you get at the market is usually farmed and disgusto when you think about the conditions it was "brought to market" in.

The whole concept of going out and killing an animal is beyond my beliefs, so no I wouldn't eat a turkey I caught hunting because I wouldn't be hunting.

herd culture. think about it deeply. Are humans REALLY supposed to eat flesh?

Doubtful all around. Most of the medical literature out there is funded by the meat industry, so I wonder what it's going to say ....

anyone knows cutting out red meat is healthy for you. They just fail to make the rest of the connection. It isn't just the meat, it is the animal suffering that is attached to the meat that they are ingesting as well.

Plenty of nutrients in plants and beans and nuts and such. even the such highly regarded "protein"

3. Mixed-Peppers

Mixed-Peppers Member

:coffee::)

1.Accepting meat is accepting the breeding and killing of animals just for food...

2.i think at times animals are not appreciated as much as they should be….I wouldn’t have a prob with eating meat if animals were fully celebrated and appreciated.

3.Tho I think my decision to become a vegetarian was more to do with me waking up and finding it sicken to be eating meat…

4. LadyNatas

LadyNatas Guest

Just navigating around the forums for the first time and this seems to be a good spot to drop by :)

I have been a vegetarian for ten years and have been slowly converting to veganism over the last year and a half. I will never be a full vegan, i am not interested in searching for reasons to give up honey or throw my 70s vintage handbag into the trash to waste. But over the last year ive managed to give up all dairy and eggs, lost over 30kilos and actually converted a couple of people to the lifestyle without a word said.

I became vego when i was 13 after i ate deer meat killed by my uncle when he was hunting, nowadays i know this is a far more natural source of meat, but honestly i would have preferred to see the thing alive frollicking through the fields instead of on a plate... thats what i guess it came down to.

Lately ive been reading "Animal Rights - Moral Theory and Practice" which examines animal rights on a philosophical level, very much enjoying it so far.

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

in the thread of life, all eats all...

6. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

One of the strangest things I have heard. They are still alive even if we celebrated them. It makes no sense to really appreciate the life of an animal and then killing it for you to eat.

They are alive, just like us. I would never go back to eating meat, no matter what.

7. green.earth.al

green.earth.al Member

When I was in my early twenties I was very unhappy with how much bodyfat I was carrying. I started cutting things out of my diet completely. All carbonated beverages. All butter, margerine & whole milk. When that was working a little bit, but not enough to satisfy me, I made a casual decision to see about giving up red meat. That was working even better. After about 6 months I was feeling a lot better about my level of bodyfat and flirted with adding red meat back to my diet. I ate a fast food hamburger and man, I got so sick I thought I was gonna die. It really tore my innards up.

During that six months I had been listening to music by Consolidated which had a lot to say about animal cruelty and so I had been reevaluating my beliefs on eating meat in general. So after I got so sick I decided to give up all meat.

During the 16 years that I have been a vegetarian I have added a ton of additional reasons to be vegetarian, but that was how I started: vanity issues.

I have come to feel that all factory farming is wrong, whether it be for plants or animals, giant agribusiness corporations need to be dealt with. I also believe that the Earth has exceeded its carrying capacity for Westernized humans.

8. neone

neone Member

Having gone the reverse route veggie -> carnivore. I assure you that if you were able to source a quality farm from which to buy organic, grass fed meat from and ate a diet that was meat-heavy and rare, You would not be able to remove it from your diet again without feeling like you are missing something very important.
    My wife and I were veggies for years, and we did it 100x better than most do, as in we ate almost completely organic, most coming from our garden, lots of wild forraging of everything local. I would drop over $50 a week in suppliments and magic pills, all that B.S.

We were not healthy until we began eating meat. Dont get me wrong, we 'thought' we were healthy, but when you're inside the box, its hard to see it from the outside. These days I am so much healthier, and my diet is so much easier.. Eat organs, meat and fat. I have absolutely no use for any suppliments or any of that crap.. in fact you could say that if you need suppliments, its because your diet sucks.

Cutting starches and carbs is one of the best health decisions that you could make, and you replace them with the best quality animal fats that you can find. But then again, most people are slaves to their carb addiction and they will never, ever be able to give them up.

and no shit Macdonnalds made you sick, but to stop eating meat because you ate probably the most awful meat you could imagine and had a bad time is foolish. The other thing is that cooked meat is poison. You need to eat it rare or you are just destroying all the nutriton in your food and then what are you even eating it for?

9. ItsAndrewBet

ItsAndrewBet Member

I went vegetarian after finding out how much steriods/growth hormones are put in the animal, how they are treated and after thinking of putting something dead in my body.
    I feel so much better now, and I'm considering going vegan, then later raw vegan.

10. Sunkid

Sunkid Member

every time you choose vegetarian ism there are 90 animals saved so go vegan. NOW.

11. wild-flowers

wild-flowers forever arbitrary

because i'm a dirty hippie

12. BareFootHiker

BareFootHiker Member

First, because of the treatment of animals that are used for food, and second because i find meat disgusting.

13. wild-flowers

wild-flowers forever arbitrary

Watch food incorporated

14. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

I eat meat for personal sport reasons, otherwise I don't touch the stuff. Even when I do it's only chicken.

I have no morale qualm with eating the stuff though, I just don't like the taste and mostly the texture. I keep imagining it being flesh (which it is obviously) and when it becomes so literal in my head it becomes as gross as biting into my own arm.

It's hard to explain. Just sort of feel like a Lion at the zoo.

15. MisSBoNgLips

MisSBoNgLips Member

You guys do realise that even 'vegetarian' animals eat other animals?

The chipmunks and squirrels around here absolutely LOVE picking the meat and fat left on my animal carcasses off. So do all the birds from little chickadee's to woodpeckers to crows. Deer and horses kill birds to eat. Shit, even my rabbit loves licking the fat and meat juice off of my clothes (he used to lick the shit out of us and we were like WTF does he want, then we realised we were wiping our hands off after eating on our clothes and he was going for our scraps).

pretty funny how you think that people do not eat meat, when we are obviously more adapted to eating it than a squirrel, who has forasken his nuts in favor of my animal fat... haha.

16. boredpsycho

boredpsycho resident grammar nazi

i'm not a vegetarian...i dont have the willpower.

17. Shale

Shale ~

Well, just saw this old thread bumped into my view so guess I'll add to it.

I haven't eaten meat since 1970, when I fell into this counter culture that had all these Eastern Spiritual ideas about reincarnation, Karma and such. Other ppl showed me that you don't need to eat meat (something our culture taught us as a given - friends and family thought I would die when I became vegetarian)

Anyhow, I acknowledged that animals were conscious beings and that I should respect their lives. So, I quit eating them, quit wearing leather or fur, quit using soap with sodium tallowait (animal fat) instead using castille soap (coconut oil).

I call myself a sloppy vegetarian (ovo-lacto) since I still am part of the exploitation of animals by eating eggs and dairy products. But I am probably healthier getting rid of the meat consumption. Oh, I didn't die. :D

18. MeggieMongoose

MeggieMongoose Member

"now, if you knew the animal that was killed was killed humanely and had a very nice life living somewhere like the place I described.. would you eat the meat?"
    No, I would't because I don't like the thought of eating the body of somebody who once lived, loved, breathed, though, etc. :(

and why aren't vegetarians vegans? -
    Vegan is much more instense, it is harder for a few reasons. 1. It's hard to give up some foods, like scrambled eggs, ice cream, yogurt, cheese, etc. 2. You cant get b12, miss out on a lot of calcium and protein, so you need to pay even more attention to health, and 3. Many restaraunts and foods have animal based products in them, so it's just tough eating out or with family/friends.

would you eat a fish that you would've caught if you went fishing?
    No, I would NEVER go fishing!
    would you eat a turkey you killed when you went hunting?
    No, I would NEVER EVER go hunting!

Long story short, I'm vegetarian because I love animals, and they are not treated nicely on most places. I also dont feel it is right to cause naother to give up her/his life for a meal when you can perfectly live without eating meat. I also care for the environment, and meat is terrible for the environment.

19. Walsung1of9

Walsung1of9 Member

I am a veterinary student, and I want to heal Odin's Creatures, not eat them. Also, I heard that going vegetarian cut the allergen load, as the animals involved were raised with vaccines and antibiotics (the same stuff that destroyed me in the '50's).

20. Reverie95

Reverie95 Member

I decided to be vegetarian a few months ago. Simply for health reasons and ethical reasons. I think people consume more meat than they need and that is the cause of illnesses and obesity. Plus I think it is inhumane. I don't think anything should have to die of deliberate and unnatural causes. I don't believe any innocent living thing should have to suffer.

I also started to develop a distaste for meat quite a while before I stopped eating it for good.