I want a more creative curriculum.

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by The Center, Oct 2, 2008.

1. The Center

The Center Member

My current curriculum focuses too much on maths (there is more maths than all the other work combined.) and logical thinking, I want a curriculum which has almost no mathematics, since I will without a doubt never go into the direction of maths, and I feel Grade 9 maths is enough to get me through life, but now I have to take maths because of a stupid law.
    I want a curriculum that is focused more on creative side of things, since I cannot use facts in life as much as I can use creativity.

2. pixeewinged

pixeewinged Visitor

3. The Center

The Center Member

No, I just want somebody give me a few recommendations for a curriculum, I have to start looking somewhere. I want math, but not much past Grade 9, none of my parents or there many siblings took math after Grade 9, and they are very successful people. My grandfather, who has a masters degree, said he never used algebra in his entire life after school. (He is almost 80.) If I am only going to use complicated maths 10 times in my life why should I focus all my energy towards it.
    Maths in general is not a problem, but algebra, and other complex mathematics is not needed, I only need enough that I can do basic mathematics that I will use in daily life. I feel spending 12 years of your life on something you are not going to use very often is pointless, and I would much rather spend that time on something I can use. Biology is a good example, since I want to start my own specialized nursery. (Specializing in entheogens;), but not necessary just entheogens, anything exotic and useful medicinally can qualify.)
    And geology would be very useful to me too (My greatest ambition is to be a travelling surfer, and if I get the guts sometime around a big wave surfer, and both needs a fairly good knowledge of oceanography.), but advanced maths is not exactly what I was aiming for. Maths is important, but not to the extent of dedicating my childhood for, which with my current curriculum is sadly the case.

4. stalk

stalk Banned

you're going to need to look outside of school for creativity, in my opinion...

I had to drop out because it was holding me back from being an insane artist of life.

what do you want to do?
    Learn how to do it.
    Practice :)

5. The Center

The Center Member

BTW I am homeschooled, so I do think it is possible, there must be a few good curriculum's for the nature and art freaks out there.
    I do not know exactly what I want to do, but I know what I DON'T want to be, and the very first thing that comes up is anything to do with math. I would rather do something where I am close to nature and can care for it, but preferably plants.

6. stalk

stalk Banned

I hope you find something that works for you :]
    sorry I didn't realize this was the home schooling forum

7. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Agreed.