Any Active hippie communes?

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by poiuy, Sep 21, 2008.

1. poiuy

poiuy Guest

I'm doing a paper on environmentally sustainable communities. Are there any active hippy communes out there? A website or number or contact information for an interview? Anything?

I'm in Iowa and I know of a place called Ecolectic, but I can't find any trace of it?

2. Gerasimus

Gerasimus Member

Not so much a hippie commune, but there is an ecovillage in Scotland called the Findhorn Foundation. Think it has the lowest environmental footprint in Europe or something. It has a website if you google it. It's a cool place with loads of ace houses, but most of them are super expensive - too much for any hippie to buy :)

3. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

4. ChildoftheRisingSun

ChildoftheRisingSun Member

Lots of little communes here they are almost evrywhere : )
    You should go to find one :)

5. tculi

tculi Senior Member

theres plently of communes out there but most small ones dont have a website. maybe if you go to washington and just start looking :) Heres one that does have a website though. http://www.dancingrabbit.org/
    good luck on that paper brother

6. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

The Farm in Tennessee. Been around since 1970.

7. lilb1t

lilb1t Member

i know of a few

8. lilb1t

lilb1t Member

none really worth it

9. 1337carlos

1337carlos Member

I'm currently planning an environmentalist, anarcho communist commune out.. =D

10. lilb1t

lilb1t Member

they cost alot, u gotta buy the land, ensure resources like food and water

11. 1337carlos

1337carlos Member

No one owns the land, it was there before us. As long as you use it, not abuse it, it's justified.

An example of abusing land would be selling or buying it.

12. CrystalRevelation

CrystalRevelation Member

this is a really great place i saw on planet green last night...
    it's not a commune but they're these really groovy environmentally sustainable homes....
    got some hippies too:
    http://www.earthship.net/

CHECK IT OUT!! ; )

13. lilb1t

lilb1t Member

well, yah, thats squatting carlos, people buy land nowadays, its called private property... myah never heard of it? its in the constitution somewhere, i dunno though

14. Hippie McRaver

Hippie McRaver Senior Member

I agree lilb1t

15. soniconacer

soniconacer Member

if youre way crosses europe anytime, there are some MUST GO in copenhagen, denmark,
    a commene named christiania, you can find nice people and chill by having a good spliff and get some infos about communes and festivals in northern europe.
    link to www.christiania.org
    in the south of spain you can find a few places, like BENEFICIO, a commune in the mountains in the south of GRANADA. take the bus from granada or MALAGA on a THURSDAY to a town called ORGIVA. thursday, because its marketday in orgiva and you find people giving you a lift to beneficio. its quite hidden, not far from the town, but you wont find the way first time. also near orgiva there is a palce called ALMOREON you can check out. if you call beneficio love and peace, almoreon is that kind of place like sex and drugs and rocknroll.
    check out http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=beneficio&emb=0&aq=f#
    there is kind of squatted beach between malaga and motril in a town called NERJA.
    nerja isnt hard to find, but that little magic beach isnt easy to get to. if anyone is interested, give me a knock and i ll help out. there are more places in southern spain you can check out, but not as nice as those i wrote here.
    the island LA GOMERA on the canary island community is kind of natural park.
    no cars, no bullshit, clean air, very quite. get a plain or boat to teneriffa and take the ferryboat from there to la gomera. the ferryboat goes from a place named los americas or something like that. there is much more places in greece italy germany HOLLAND ....
    coma to europe, and put planty of time and good mood in youre suitcase.
    sonic from germany

16. gypsyjedi

gypsyjedi Member

Now that everything's legal in Mexico...I think you know where I'm going with this. There's already a few communes in Mexico. I know a town called Zipolite is a hippy beachtown. It's on the southern coast. There are a few other hippie communes down in Mexico, and now that drugs are legal in Mexico, many of us will be colonizing south of the border, so more communes will pop up over the next couple years. I'll be there by summer.

17. gypsyjedi

gypsyjedi Member

The constitution isn't the final word on right and wrong. Just ask a cherokee or a navajo how they feel about the constituion and land ownership rights. I guess they were just squatters till the white man came. I see your point carlos.

18. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

19. 52~unknown~52

52~unknown~52 Member

you should look into earth ships

20. coolrayfruge

coolrayfruge Member

Hi. My Name is Thomas.
    I'm 50yrs old.
    I lost my job and my home in Flagstaff AZ 2yrs ago and now Homeless.
    Feel like this society has shunned me cause of my age.
    I have plenty of job skills.
    Construction,Landscaping,plumbing,painting,agriculture,have a class A CDL. and many other skills..
    Also a Artist draw paint,Photograph people and landscapes.
    Feel this world is going to shit.
    I'm looking for a commune to join and fit
    Where people are Friendly,helpful to one another,
    don't look at you as a stranger,but as a brother.
    They work together for the good of all in the community.
    Cause we all know this world needs unity.

Willing to contribute Freely my labor skills to help out the community in exchange for a place to stay, some spending cash and some food.
    I'm very easy going,non-violent (Unless threatened).
    Like people,nature,art, BBQ's and music almost any kind ,mostley Rock N Roll,festivals,camping,fishing,like to party with friends.
    I'm not religious or consider myself spiritual.
    Just mellow & easy to get along with.
    Some times funny.
    Well I hope to hear from ya!
    World Peace ,Love, 420 .