Kittymoose University

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by Kittymoose*, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Kittymoose*

Kittymoose* Member

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the Higher Ed forum, so if its wrong, please move it.

Anyways, for some financial reasons, I had to drop out of the private university I went to for a total of two weeks. So, being that school had already started, I couldn't transfer back to my old community college, and I've got an entire semester to wait before I can enroll again. So I decided that since I kept my textbooks, I might as well continue my education.

I've set aside at least 3 hours a day to study Cultural Anthropology, Chinese, and Guitar.

I'm wondering if anybody has heard of this at the college level, and if there are any resources available (things like discussion questions, or perhaps a sort of template for essays and things, I learn best that way).

For Anthropology I'm just reading the chapters in my textbook. There are some question/answer sections, but few and far between. For Chinese, I'm using my textbook, dictionary, and I figure I'll get a podcast or something for audio. I'm not sure where to start with Guitar lessons for myself, because I'm of very very modest means at the moment. I know of some online resources, but not many.

Also, would it be a good idea to double languages and continue my study of French? I'm wondering if anyone has had experience learning two languages at once, and if it was very difficult.

Sorry for rambling :eek:

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

yep , you're homeschooling ! my higher ed was most all self-directed , too . my college was very , very supportive of this . it was best for me , and eventually i just gave myself a degree . soon as that happened i got a nice professional job offer - turned it down and just carried on true to nature .

hmm ... i play advanced guitar and am a professor of one language . ok ? i could help you easily .

lesson one

guitar : watch a decent guitar player closely . study how to hold the guitar , the pose of the hands . this is important for making good tone . music can be anything as long as you are capable of making choices about it .

language : spend some time with a baby who 'babbles' . it's not nonsense nor mere experimentation . you are hearing the root of language . could you notate what you hear phoneticly ?