What is your...

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by Peaceful River, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Peaceful River

Peaceful River Member

Who is your favorite Artist/Band and what's your favorite song from them?

Mines "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" By Jimi Hendrix

2. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

This is the Prog forum, amirite?

3. ippi

ippi Member

Jimi Hendrix was one of the first proge guys... Like Voodoo Chile, 10 minutes psychdelic blues... Progrock... Also Hendrix did band of gypsys record, what was quite progressive, but i would put it to jazz fusion gategory...

But back to subject...
    Best song....
    Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child (slight return)... I almost did cry when i did learn how to play it with my guitar... Jimi is the king... Jimi is REALLY big thing for me... :D:D

4. Peaceful River

Peaceful River Member

Totally dude. I love Voodoo Chile. Slight Return is the best version of it. From Experiance. I'm not sure what it is about Midnight lamp, I just love the opening tune. It's lovely man.

5. TangerineSoul

TangerineSoul Member

If we're talking strictly prog,

King Crimson "One More Red Nightmare" and "Easy Money" ...its a tie

6. ippi

ippi Member

Oh, one of the best record must be King Crimsons Larks tongue in aspic...

OH SHIT! Once! When I was practicing guitar, i did learn how to play larks tongue in aspic part one solo!!!!! That was also my best things in my teenage what i did... Badly i can't do that anymore, because i have been just improvisating with Jimi....

Weird, in all respect this Larks tongue record, it's not been so much in my play list... I have been playing too much that "sooo clichee Court of Crimson King... "

7. TangerineSoul

TangerineSoul Member

Larks Tongue pt. 1 - any song that can open with three minutes of chimes and still be that fucking heavy is incredible, in my book.

Lizard is my current favorite album by them, but they all get their fair share of rotation. And nothing wrong with the debut at all, ippi...its in an atmosphere and league all its own.

8. Spaced06

Spaced06 Member

Probably Amazing Flight by Ayreon, because it simply takes me to another place.

9. zillagod

zillagod Member

Whats my fav band? GUESS

10. serena3

serena3 Member

the Flaming Lips
    "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song"

11. zillagod

zillagod Member

Wrong. It would be the Marshall Tucker Band, and 24 Hours at a Time with Charlie on fiddle and Dickie Betts joining in with Toy would be my fav.

12. zillagod

zillagod Member

Oh, sorry, just realised this was the prog rock side. Ok, let me give you another. Excerpt from the Snow Goose-God of Light 1973-75, Camel.

13. serena3

serena3 Member

shit, this is prog huh?

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Innovative psychedelic blues like Jimi played is not progressive rock at all, in my opinion. I love psych blues rock, and generally have trouble really diggin prog rock because it's too much focus on the experiment and often too less groove (something that I just love about the psychedelic blues of Jimi for example). There are some exceptions of course.
    I think one of my favourites is also by Ayreon, Into the electric castle is just awesome. I even had the luck to be able to see them live. :)

15. killuminati

killuminati Member

Jimi for me as well. favorite song is, well I don't know. I couldn't choose, but Voodoo Child is always a pleasure.

Asmodean, I'm not sure you get it, Prog Rock isn't about "focusing on an experiment", nor do you "lose the groove". the groove really comes first. it's called Progressive for a reason, because it does just that, progress, which is usually fusing pre existing styles into a new genre. there is no "focus", it just happens.

far as Jimi though, they were probably talking about the Band Of Gysies. they were literally the first Funk band. if anything, the groove is better than ever, with a real bassist.
    but even before that, he was the first to combine Jazz(Mitchell, the drummer), Blues(Jimi, guitar), Rock(Noel, bass).
    his drummer Mitch Mitchell also invented the drumming style later to be known as Fusion.

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Perhaps you're right about the focussing part. But for me the groove is far less to hear in progressive rock then in psychedelic rock. Jimi was an innovative musician, tried new things and stuff and out of that he created his own new sound. Although you can describe that process as progressive, it doesn't make his rock automatically progressive rock.
    Now progressive rock has been a genre for at least 40 years you also can't describe it as the fusing of different styles anymore. That's called fusion or crossover, etc. Progressive rock has it's own specific characteristics, which are not typical for Jimi's music.

17. killuminati

killuminati Member

you know, you're right. I was thinking about the whole Funk/Jazz/Blues thing, and I was like "wait, how can that be Prog ROCK if it isn't even Rock?".

I'd say Jimi was only 10% Rock...it was in there though. that observation is also facilitated by his use of feedback

not to say the Experience/Gypsies weren't Progressive in their own right.

18. mimoe79

mimoe79 Member

Yeah I really like rock from back then as well.
    However, I have also recently started listening to a band called Damage from Orange County, CA. I think they are great, and have been for example been inspired by bands like, Led Zeppelin, Beatles etc. You should check them out on myspace.com/damage if you are into rock

19. Funkateer

Funkateer To swing on the spiral

Props I love the lips :D

Mine at the time is def
    Mythos
    mysterious science

20. Spaced06

Spaced06 Member

Now I'd have to add Day of the Baphomets by The Mars Volta. What an incredible song!