Should the death penalty ever be used?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by The_Moroccan_Raccoon, Aug 18, 2008.

1. iamtheeggman

iamtheeggman Member

^^^
    amen. killing the person who did the crime doesn't bring the person they killed back from the dead, it just means that there are two dead people.

2. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

Wha-a-a-l-l-l, I DIDN'T say they needed beat up, did I?:(
    I DON'T believe in the jail/prison system AT ALL!!!:mad:
    99.9% of VIOLENT CRIMINAL in prison are MENTALLY ILL. People who are ill do not need to be beat up, nor do they need the torment of prison.

Seriously evil people are that way either because they are not wrapped just right or they have had serious issues in their lives which led to their problems. Better to give people with serious problems the care they need to HELP them.
    Of course if you are just part of the problem you could always simply beat them up and leave 'em to rot behind bars... If it makes you feel better to do that, you should seriously examine WHY.

3. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I am always bothered especially in cases like the mother who pushed the car with her kids in the lake when the group mentality is to cry out for the death penalty. What exactly does that accomplish?

4. missedit

missedit Member

I voted yes because certain people don't learn from their mistakes and continue to rape, murder, assult, abuse, ect. I think pedofiles (don't think I spelled it right lol) that are charged should be killed, honestly I know it's a sickness but, they can't change and children can't defend themselves. I just think of if my future kid or my little cuz was molested... I'd want the fucker to die, not to rot in prision and get out in, what is it? eight years? They make me sick. I don't want to offend anyone, I just really dont like child molesters and people who abuse innocent children.
    but then I think death may be too good, but the prision time just isn't long enough for repeat offenders and child molesters.
    Again, sorry if I offened anyone, it's just a rant.

5. thedocisin

thedocisin Member

The death penalty should be used in my opinion, but only in instances of certainty. For example, more than one eye witness to the crime.

6. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Let's start by disarming the police and the military.

7. Fyrenza

Fyrenza Queen of the Ians

The problem i have with trying to "cure" these criminals is that there ISN't a cure ~ in most instances, the "cure" is just experimental guesswork, that can fail :eek: for any number of reasons, not the least of which is the right to refuse medications/medical treatment.

Also, i don't see how shutting someone up in an insane asylym is any different, nor better, than locking them away in prison, to tell you the truth.

Why do we put down animals that have killed and/or eaten humans?

Because they don't fear repeating the act, and get a "taste" for the meat.

Just like we can't allow wild animals to just roam around, killing and maiming folks,

we can't allow wild/crazed humans to do it, either, imho.

If we do, we are accomplices

and the blood of the innocent is on our hands,

for setting the monsters free to repeat their violent crimes.

And please don't get me wrong ~

i'm truly not a bloodthirsty, vengeful person;

it's just that sometimes, death is the only solution. (Think "Old Yeller")

8. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Killing people is murder.
    Killing people is wrong, period.
    Regardless of crime, etc.
    We kill people who kill people to show that killing it wrong. makes no fucking sense.
    its barbaric and wrong, no one has the right to take anyone else's life.
    its even more sick and twisted that murdering another person is a part of the law.

9. missedit

missedit Member

It's not killing people to set an example, it's more-so a way to keep repeat offenders from repeating. Think about it a rapist was let loose in the early 2000's I believe and while on probation raped yet another innocent woman... Do you want society like that? You give up the right on your life when you unlawfully take someone elses (this includes rape).

10. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

why should any one person or group be allowed to kill someone because they see fit to do so?

11. Individual

Individual Senior Member

There's a time and a place for everything.

12. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

don't you have to test them first? i mean, whether they float or not? perhaps test the person's flammability? :\

13. I doubt it's a deterrent and I don't think innocent people should ever be put to death to satisfy somebody's need for revenge...

Plus, I think a lot of people who get the death penalty are committing such crimes because they are raised in a society that promotes such pettiness. We should simply be above them...they're basically fundamentally serving themselves just like everybody else, except in a more brutal fashion. They need to be made to look like the fools that they are -- the intellect is above primal rage.

14. Ztrain

Ztrain Member

Death penalty for white collar criminals sounds good.

15. boredpsycho

boredpsycho resident grammar nazi

in addition to being agaisnt the death penalty, if someone is executed then found innocent, then by logical reasoning, everyone involved in the wrongful execution is guilty of first degree murder, and therefore, eligible for the death penalty...

16. floes

floes Senior Member

it depends simply on the deeds done. death shouldent ever be for anything eles besides taking the life of anyone. especially children.

17. I wonder if we can make a citizen's arrest.

18. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

As to Cruel and Unusual Punishment, I'd say that life behind bars is the most cruel and unusual. Twenty, Thirty and more years in a cell !

If my crime is so terrible to warrant 25 years how does it not warrant death?
    How is death unuasual? Judicial death is historically normal going way back.

All of these capital punishment lawsuits? These guys really want to live behind bars for the rest of thier lives?

Give me liberty or give me death

19. Psychedelic Rocker

Psychedelic Rocker Member

No, for two reasons.

1. How about if you gave someone the death penalty, then later on, they find evidence that person was innocent. Or someone else admitts to the crime, with facts to back it up. Then you killed the wrong person?

2. Let them rot in jail. Jail to me, is worse than the death penalty. I'd rather die, then serve life in prison. I know people say, I'm not wasting my tax dollars paying to keep some killer alive. Well, they waste your tax money anyway, so let the killer suffer everyday, day after day, year after year in jail. Killing them, would be letting them off too easy. Suffer in jail until you go insane and die.