Should the death penalty ever be used?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by The_Moroccan_Raccoon, Aug 18, 2008.

1. The_Moroccan_Raccoon

The_Moroccan_Raccoon Senior Member

Is it always wrong for a democratic society to use the death penalty?
    Under what circumstances do you feel it would be justified?

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Pre meditated murder when the evidence is solid as a rock.

3. Any Color You Like

Any Color You Like Senior Member

No, even if somebody deserved to die, as a society we cannot do the same thing we are blaming the criminal for. It would be hypocrite, and hate creates hate, no matter what.

4. rodwv

rodwv Member

killers and child molesters should be executed.there is no place for them in our society.

Dax likes this.
  5. sunshine186

sunshine186 midnight toker

It would be hypocrisy if we killed a killer.
    Do you say no death penalty for any criminal?

6. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

You can't be against murder and abortion and condone capital punishment. It's a nonstarter.

7. Jedite83

Jedite83 Van Dweller

I think killers and the suck sold spend the rest of their lives in jail. Let them spend the rest of their lives in jail, while being reminded of their crime.

8. The_Moroccan_Raccoon

The_Moroccan_Raccoon Senior Member

It seems that in our society, the sole responsibility of police is to stop crime as it happens. The responsibility of the justice system is to punish people who commit these crimes. This is not productive. Getting to the root of the problem is the only thing that can truly prevent crime.
    Society is very much divided by class. You don't usually see an educated middle-class person in a pennitentiary. These people are able to prosper economically, while many people are not given basic education, or proper programs to have the opportunity that the middle-class is born into. People don't have the skills to have a job, and end up involved in crime and addiction. Most members of Hipforums oppose the "war on drugs." Ending that war is not enough. We don't want people using dangerous drugs. Arresting drug addicts will never help. And until drug addicts are rehabilitated, they are not capable of contributing positively to our society. Addiction, mental illness, poverty, and lack of education result in crime. By addressing these causes, there will be fewer violent criminals and killers for the justice system to deal with.

I'll post more about it later when I'm not half-asleep.

boubindica likes this.
  9. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I agree with it in some cases like this one, needs to be put down like a rabid dog for sure

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- Jurors cringed, cried and some desperately looked away as they were shown a series of deeply disturbing and graphic videos taken by a convicted child killer as he tortured, sexually abused and nearly killed a 9-year-old boy.
    [​IMG] Joseph Edward Duncan III stalked the Groene family and killed four of its five members.

[​IMG]
    1 of 3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joseph Edward Duncan III, acting as his own attorney, had argued against playing the videos, saying it would turn jurors "into my victims" as they decide whether he should be executed.
    Duncan kidnapped the boy, Dylan Groene, and his sister, Shasta, in May 2005 after murdering their older brother, their mother and her fiance in the Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, area. The two young children were taken deep into the Lolo National Forest, where they endured weeks of horrendous abuse at Duncan's hands.
    Duncan ultimately shot the boy point-blank in the head while his sister, then 8, watched. He was arrested after returning to Coeur d'Alene, where a waitress recognized Shasta as the two ate at a Denny's restaurant.
    The videos and photos taken at the cabin show Duncan forcing the boy to perform a sex act, whipping him with a belt and hanging him with a wire noose until the boy passed out.
    "The devil is here, boy, the devil himself. The demon couldn't do what the devil sent him to do so the devil came himself," Duncan yells in one video. "The devil likes to watch children suffer and cry."

Dax likes this.
  10. Any Color You Like

I thought it was obvious. Killing is the worst act of violence.

11. Any Color You Like

Very intelligent.

Now we only need to ask ourselves why billions of dollars are spent in war instead of in solving these problems...

12. LucyInTheSky777

LucyInTheSky777 Member

Killing the criminal doesn't undo the crime. it's wrong to kill another human being, period.

Piobaire likes this.
  13. Fyrenza

Fyrenza Queen of the Ians

Uh, oh...

i voted Yes, we can't allow criminals loose in society,

but there would have to be some conditions.

Proof-Positive Evidence, DNA testing, eye witness testimony, if possible, a confession that proves to be the true facts, like that.

If a rabid dog were to attack and kill a couple of people, and injure another, we could not risk it being loose in society ~ no matter how much we loved the dog, it is sick, with a disease that no amount of medicine (nor love, in the form of help) is going to be able to cure.

Some of the things these people have done is so atrocious, just the once is enough ~ e.g. Charles Manson.

And, believe it or not, it's for them, also.

My folks had a monkey for about 36 years, that had to be kept in a cage, and i wouldn't do that to ANYTHING. He existed. To lock someone up, for the rest of their lives, imho, is cruel and unusual punishment, especially considering the prison situation. (My hubby works in the TDCJ system, and we were SHOCKED at what we found out about prisoner treatment...)

And, of course, part of the consideration is the bottom line ~ the cost to house, feed, etc. these horrible people.

14. mrs_hendrix

mrs_hendrix Member

I don't agree with captial punishment...

But I think Saddam deserved it...

I contradict myself unfortunately.

15. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

not only should it be used, but actually it isn`t used enough.

16. Tsurugi_Oni

Tsurugi_Oni Member

Definately shouldn't be used.

The judicial system makes mistakes. You also don't combat evil with evil, you're supposed to always take the higher road. Plus, *hypothetical situation* some random person tells you that he's going to rape all your children, enslave your wife, and burn your house down. And then you kill him on the spot.

Not all cases of murder are of the same degree or quality. You can't just kill somebody cuz they killed, you have to allow some flexibility. Plus, people makes mistakes and can change. Might as well chop off hands for stealing too.

17. iamtheeggman

iamtheeggman Member

is that a joke?

18. mrs_hendrix

mrs_hendrix Member

Sure hope so...

19. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

Anyone who can say someone should die for a committing a crime is a hippocrite.
    How is it not a crime to kill a human for ANY reason? Does killing them teach them anything? Will it make them change their ways and start over fresh? Will it jumpstart their conscience and keep them from committing any further crimes? Is killing someone even a punishment? Once you are dead you are dead. How is that punishing anyone except the criminal's family members who are left behind?
    Anyone who is so screwed up that they commit SERIOUS crimes is probably either mentally ill and needs medical assistance, or so messed up by a bad life they need some compassion and new input. How does death help that?
    Until we can ALL see that killing someone as punishment for wrongdoing IS wrongdoing, we are just the blind leading the blind. It's obvious and stupid

20. Tsurugi_Oni

Tsurugi_Oni Member

Earthmother, you resonate with my soul.

Some of you guys are just bloodthirsty, trying to seek revenge. If you somehow get satisfaction from causing someone pain then maybe you should get yourself checked out. Cuz that mentality is the fuel for religious wars, mob rule, and tribal feuds.