remember 9/11?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by polexiayay, Aug 3, 2008.

1. dereistic

dereistic Member

i was in 10th grade. i was in 1st period, biology. i started feeling sick, so i went to the nurse and went home. in the nurses office, the nurses mom called her and told her a plane crashed into a building, but she didnt believe her mom.

my mom came and got me, in her car, the guy on the radio wasnt even talking, he came on and said something about a plane hitting the world trade center, but didnt really say much.

got home and all the channels still had the normal shows on, then they all turned off. watched the second plane hit, the towers falling, all that jazz.

2. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

9th grade, just finished 2nd period and they made an announcement on the PA. I was with my friends and we figured it was bound to happen sooner or later, wasnt a big deal to me. Still isnt I think it got blown way out of proportion.

3. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

On 9-11, I remember watching live coverage at work, in a conference room packed with coworkers, on a TV with terrible reception because of a short antenna and lots of steel in the building. We thought it might be an accident until the second plane hit. It was then obvious that we were watching a deliberate attack, but we had no clue who might be behind it. Not one person in the room guessed that it might be a terrorist group with roots in Saudi Arabia.

For the rest of that day, I spent a lot of time wondering how many other attacks might take place in the next few hours or days. There was a lot of speculation on how many terrorists might be positioned throughout the country, ready to destroy all kinds of important things. Personally, I knew that I was in no immediate danger, living in a city that was of no national importance. But I also knew that America would never be quite the same ever again, no matter how the short-term situation played itself out. It was a terrible feeling.

I was touched by the world-wide outpouring of support for our loss, but horrified by George Bush's memorial service speech a week later, in the National Cathedral. The way I heard it, he was declaring his authority to go anywhere in the world and do anything he wanted with the terrorists, regardless of the wishes of the governments of the countries involved. I knew that this attitude would likely lead to dire consequences for all of us, in the long run. In his eyes, I saw not leadership but undisciplined anger. I began to fear that our reaction to the attack could end up being worse than the attack itself.

A week after that service, I took a preplanned trip to West Virginia. The first night, my wife and I were sitting in a bar on top of a high mountain, watching the sun set over a distant ridge. Others in the bar were talking about feeling safer being out in the middle of nowhere. Some had scheduled their trips on short notice, wanting very much to be away from Washington, DC and Baltimore for as long as possible.

The consensus in the group that night was that the twin towers should be rebuilt as soon as possible, exactly as they were before, to prove to ourselves and the world that the terrorists had accomplished nothing. Eight years later, the place is still a hole in the ground, and the extremists know that they accomplished more that day than they had dared dream of.

[​IMG]

4. LinaJo76

LinaJo76 Member

When 9/11 happened, I had already got out of the Army (my ETS was in July). My husband and I were coming back from Kentucky (after going to his uncle Bobby Joe's funeral). We were still living in North Carolina until October when we moved to Arizona.

Well, anyway, we heard on the radio about it and we were only 2 hours from home. Soon as we got home, we turned on the T.V. and saw the 2nd building get hit. We watched it the rest of the day (we didn't even unpack our suitcases yet we were so stunned). I watched the whole thing. It was horrible.

5. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

i was in class and the teachers were getting phone calls left and right. everything was really tense but no one was telling us what was going on. half the students got picked up from school including me. i just remember being surprised at the time but glad i didnt have to stay because i never got to go home early lol. when i actually found out what happened i feel guilty to say i didnt care much. i was at that ambivalent age where most kids think "eh, it doesnt really affect life in my bubble so whatever", or maybe it was just me. idk. makes it worse that my grandfather died three days later and i didnt know how to react, i didnt know him too well. anyway after i snapped out of that i was like, omg this really happened. feel very sad to think of the lives wasted.

6. The night before I went outside in my back yard. Then as I was going in, standing at my back door, I saw a plane coming from the corner of the sky, and for some reason it struck a chord with me, and I watched it curiously until it flew out of sight. It's strange how you can sense something like that...though I didn't know why at the time.

The next morning I woke up and just kind of shrugged my shoulders. Big surprise, people killing each other. Everybody was getting all excited at the spectacle, like they were secretly relishing in the disaster, though outwardly decrying it. Like it was giving their lives meaning. And I said that at the time...that everyone was overreacting. And of course got called a monster for saying it, but I was right. Everybody calmed down and eventually started making jokes about it.

I also had a dream a few nights before that I was on a plane. And some passengers and I were talking about terrorists, or that there was a bomb somewhere on board. We were all very confused. Then I was sitting across from this old black lady who started singing a hymn, and suddenly this big wall of fire started coming down the isle. Then I woke up.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I was @ home sleeping and my mum came home crying and said to turn on the tv :(

Quite sad...........

8. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

I was working in an office building. Some custodian guy wheeled a TV into a main hallway after the first plane had hit. I saw the second impact as it happened. Everyone I was working with watched in awe. We watched for quite awhile and saw the collapses.

It was weird when people walking down the hall who hadn't hear about it yet would see the TV and slowly realize what was going on.

I also remember a strange feeling when we starting working again.

9. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I was at school (middle school). In Pittsburgh, not far from Flight 93; there were rumors that the plane was headed here. I was confused about what they could possibly attack here, and kinda scared that some crazy shit was going down. I wanted to go home, but they didn't send us home.

My friend was freaking out about how we're all going to die, how can they keep us in school, and I joined him. We got yelled at, because one of our classmates had family in New York, and we were being insensitive. He was crying, and I gave up.

I don't remember who the teacher **** that yelled at us was. But I do remember she was blonde.

10. Hardrockerdave94

Hardrockerdave94 Member

I was 7 at the time, and I remember eating my tea at the table and my Dad coming in and switching on the news. Apparently they had shown it at work, and it was chaos where he worked, because there were people who were in America on business so they had to contact like every employee away on business and check they were ok, I live in england btw. And I think, the next sunday at football(soccer), before the match we had a minute silence, didn't really register the scale of it at that age.

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Plus

The COPS were carrying automatic weapons and the cop who questioned me looked as If he wanted to shoot someone :eek:

I suspect he was waiting his entire life for something like this to happen and he finally got his wish :eek:

Hotwater

12. WildBilly

WildBilly Member

I had finished my last overnight shift at the firehouse, and I went home to crash. It wasn't an hour later that my sister called my house and woke me out of my coma to tell me what was going on. I got up, put the TV on, and it took me a few minutes before everything started to soak in. Needless to say, I didn't go back to sleep.

13. salty

salty Member

I was in the boonies in west coast canada and turned on the radio in the morn and heard.Later my american neighbours came over for a visit and I forgot to tell them what had happened. I apologized later for not telling them but they thanked me as it would have ruined there day to hear,and there wasn't anything they could do
    '

14. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

i was at school during 9/11 i remember watching it on TV in the classroom

15. delilah sunshyne

delilah sunshyne Member

I was faking a headache and chilling at home in 10th grade. My mom called when the first plane hit, got to watch the second one live. I wasn't upset until I saw people jumping out of the buildings.

I lived south of Buffalo and two people that worked with my dad died and a fellow students sister was a flight attendant that died in NYC that day. sad stuff man.

16. Kyrara-Ruxandra

Kyrara-Ruxandra Member

Yeah, I still remember it perfectly. That day, and Lady Diana's funeral are the things that I'll never forget from my childhood. I was in the forth grade at the time, and a friend was at my place... we were supposed to go out and play, but for some reason we decided to stay in. My mom called us when the second plane hit, it was on all the channels. At first we thought it was a movie, but when we saw people jumping out, and heard the comments, we realised it was for real... It was odd for us to see something like that, you know. We thought it would never happen to America, and yet... It was a very odd and sad day for us all...

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember hearing about on the same day it happened another 9-11 that had happened a decade earlier, when alende shot himself (yah right) in the back with a machine gun.

i remember thinking it was kristal knockt, and still do.

18. Pablo

Pablo Member

I was on my parents ranch, 17 years old, we didn't get TV out there. a day later I went into town to get some groceries. It was a real redneck area so at first I just noticed odd talk "we should just fuckin glass the whole middle east with nukes" (which is something these types might have said anyway) I could get radio in town but by this time they were assuming everyone knew what had happened and were speculating on details, I gathered that there was a terrorist attack, then that it was in New York, it was very eerie, then they finally did a summary and said they were talking about the destruction of the world trade center towers by an apparent terrorist attack. As you can imagine it was very shocking.

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

^^this is the first post

the topic of of this thread is quite clear and conspiracy related posts are to be made in the conspiracy section only please

20. Skooky

Skooky Member

I had just finished making breakfast for my Mom and was washing the dishes. The TV was on in the living room. I was appalled and amazed that IT had happened. I remember trying to explain what had happened to my Mom. She had brain cancer and had trouble understanding things. Was a very surreal day.