Painting on Glass

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by LikeanArtist, Jul 27, 2008.

1. LikeanArtist

LikeanArtist Member

I don't smoke a lot (persay) but my connection is shoddy so I always buy in bulk, so I store in glass only. I found these nifty little glass jars at a thrift store, but they're clear. I would like to paint them so I can keep them out in the open without paranoia.
    Any suggestions on how to paint them so they won't chip or whatever (at least not easily)?

I was thinking about starting with a dark solid coat, then doing something on top of that (haven't decided yet, that'll come in time) in a light color. I'm thinking I'll need some sort of clear coat too. What do you think?

I would love to find a handblown jar that is reasonably priced. I keep my eyes out always, but nothing has come up yet, so I'm making due.

2. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

They make glass paint. Look in Hobby Lobby or someplace like that

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

for what you are doing, any acrylics (or cheap beginner set) will do.
    you might want to get a poly coating to protect from chips.
    You can also use polyurethane in a decopauge way (and I guess thick layers of clear glue would work this way, if the glue adheres to glass) by using tissue paper or magazine cut outs layers over the glass and covering them with a sealant.

4. LikeanArtist

LikeanArtist Member

I tried some cheap paint and it didn't go on well at all. I only did a little then wiped it off, but maybe if I coat it several times it'll work. I'll try that tomorrow.

I'm going to try the decoupage thing on one as well...should be cool.

5. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

I have painted a few glass jars with acrylic paint on the inside.. it definitely looks better on the inside rather than the outside. It is a bit harder but it looks good! This is my personal one:

[​IMG]

Also you can put paint in there and shake it up, I don't like it as much but its easier.. it takes a long time to dry too. But looks like this:
    [​IMG]

6. LikeanArtist

LikeanArtist Member

^^^ Those look really cool, but can they affect my stash?

7. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

As long as its dry it should be fine.. I have used one and my boyfriend uses one frequently and no paint chips in there or anything!

If you did it I would let it dry for a few days just to be sure

8. lilpurp84

lilpurp84 Member

u can even roll out funky tie dye designs in clay and just roll a huge thin ass sheet and lay it over the jar and press it onto it and fire it in the oven and voila.

i love clay =)

9. Glowstick

Glowstick member

Thats really cool, my boyfriend did this with a glass mold of a head, he did it with multi colors of paint and it was black light reactive paint. Came out pretty cool looking, he took his time, sat there with it, blew on it to make it move different directions and moved it around in his hands and stuff. Great job!

10. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

One Shot paint.

11. svrart

svrart Member

Hi,
    I paint on multi-media and have experience with this. Problem with glass is, its too smooth for the acrylic to adhere to. So, take a rough sandpaper and sand the outside of your bottle. After sanding you will find it has already become a little translucent. Then you can paint right on top of it with no problem. For added effect you can use a hot glue gun and put the glue on top of your paint. This will give it a very cool textured look.

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for that tip, svrart.
    Can a high number/ultrafine grit sandpaper work, allowing more translucence?

13. svrart

svrart Member

Hi drummingmama,
    The finer the sandpaper the more transparent the glass will be. But you can control the transparency using a rougher paper. Keep sanding it till you are satisfied and stop.

14. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

well, what i've done when i wanted to paint bottles, jars, whatever, was to scratch the surface with sandpaper, then paint with acrylics, then spray it with a clear coat that holds it in.

but i've had an idea recently, i want to paint on mirrors. any one have any ideas for that? will i need glass paint, or should i continue the way i usually do things?

15. Cavlin

Cavlin Banned

once i tried...

16. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i wouldn't paint the inside of your stash jars..

17. angelarobbins

angelarobbins Members

Instead of paint, you can use glass powder coating. They not improves the shining but also protect the jar from other harmful rays. Another option is to do sublimation on glass.

18. Karencraw

Karencraw Members

Don't just use cheap paint just to save money. Please do remember the quality.

19. nox_lumen

nox_lumen Member

Nail polish.

Hit up the dollar store and pick colors with potential for your creative visions. For brushes, you may want to spend a bit more for good quality. As long as you have curves and angles to work with you can paint as you like, have it dry in about 2-3 hours, and you can gloss the living tar out of it with lacquer, spray gloss coating, or clear nail polish top coat. as long as the top coat covers the whole thing, it will hold reasonably well for real cheap. There are ridiculous amounts of nail art tutorials for fussy details and it's a fast drying enamel so there are a number of classic art techniques that work too.

And look at nail art goodies too. Stencils, glitter, water transfer tattoos, stamps, tapes and such can be found pretty cheap and will stay on the glass with a bit of clear polish to act a glue long enough to make a full clear coat.

And be sure to ventilate. A lot.