a philosphy:

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 8, 2004.

1. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

ok men in history are hunters, women are gatherers....
    So, women prefer to go shopping, and GATHER things... because it's our deepest nature. men prefer the hunt.... sports. sports is the telling of a hunt, the men running around chasing the beast, and the finally through teamwork, killing it. Like the men on a court, passing the ball, every man wants the ball, then one finally gets it through the net, killing the beast and everyone celebrates the killer.
    isnt it amazing that our truest nature have adapted to society yet we're all like that still SO much later in time? we haven't evolved at all.

2. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Hmmm an interesting psycological assesment. I wouldn't call it a philosophy as such though.

I would expect a lot of disagreement on this.

Blessings

Sebbi

3. SweeperOfDreams13

SweeperOfDreams13 Member

Wow, that makes alot of sense.

4. bradofcentralpa

bradofcentralpa Member

i agree. i was at a family get together post-funeral today, and everyone was doing what researchers of animals would call, so scientifically, fostering relationships, bonding, or something like that. . .it was so funny watching my mom and aunt wrap up food that one was sharing w/ the other. they were oohing and awwing over the many colors of serran wrap they had. my aunt kept yanking my dreads and patting my head, little kids were clinging onto legs of familiar adults...it looked like a video of some baboon troop, but like we were just wasting our time a lot more. even funnier is when, tripping on shrooms, i saw a game of basketball in person....it looked so pointless and unorganized...just another way to look at the sports thing. a less logical/efficent way of proving worthiness to females, perhaps? sorry this was scattered. i'll blame the new forums. oh, and also sorry about organizing it poorly in the threading. i guess i can't use the linear view like the old forums, because the people who like threading will think i'm retarded. bummer

5. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

I don't think you can categorize people like that

6. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I am a man and I dislike sports.

So there goes your theory.

7. We_All_Shine_On

well I dont mean all guys like sports and all women like shopping, there are of course exceptions. what do you like Bird?

8. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Beer, women and fast cars.

Oh and poetry.

9. Woog

Woog Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You were very close to on the mark.

Men hunt women till they catch one and then she
    gathers half his money. I've hunted and been
    gathered four times. I have experience here.

10. know1nozme

know1nozme High Plains Drifter

Male and female is a duality which exists within each of us in addition to our physical gender. While we may be predisposed, genetically, to a certain type of sexually oriented behavior, we are not bound by it. Both possibilities exist within us.
    Having said that, IMHO archetyipical male and female personality/behavior patterns are much more complex than simply "hunter" and "gatherer." Consider our relationship interactions. Mother, father, sister, brother, etc. The patterns of these interactions may be related to hunter and gatherer, but they extend beyond them as well.
    There is something powerful in your observation, We_All_Shine_On, and much to wonder upon simply in the relationship between hunter and gatherer, but it is only a small part of a much larger picture, although understanding that relationship sheds some light on the rest.

11. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I agree :)

As with all generalisation there are going to be exceptions. My brother hates sports and I hate shopping.

TTFN

Sage

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well you know hunting is kind of an ego thing.

grinding acorns doesn't sound very glorious or romantic, and i'm sure everyone would have liked to have eaten more vennison and less acorn soup, but without the acorn soup and toolie root sallid and so on, no one would have survived
    you could also say women were the first priestessess while men the first kings
    but like the other generalizations, there are of course always exceptions

13. sassure

sassure Member

That's a pretty accurate assessment of the situation....we have evolved a little, but not as much as we'd like to think.

The gathering part is OK....were we all gatherers, we would be a whole lot better off. We would be cooperating at least.

But the men do much more than merely hunt. They are territorial; they compete; they fight if their territory is invaded. Football, hunting, war, business are all conducted on the same terms. And our culture is patriarchal, so all of these fine activities get center stage.....

We have a religious instinct, which is our ticket out of savagery...but instead of using the religious instinct to replace that savagery with cooperation, we use religion to justify the very savagery we are supposed to minimize......

14. We_All_Shine_On

that reminds me of the quote "religion is the opiate of the masses" I think thats the exact quote...