Quantum Physics

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by SeveredNebula223, May 16, 2004.

1. SeveredNebula223

SeveredNebula223 Member

I've discussed quantum physics briefly with a friend of mine today, and it sounds quite interesting. Could anyone here give me more information on the subject, or point me to some good books or websites?

I hear that its being used to try to prove the existance of God.

I really dont know if I should get into it or not though. Whenever I try to figure out the universe I get thrown into a funk that lasts for months and makes me want to die. And, are we really even going to find the answers anyway? Maybe all the "solutions" people have found are lies to make them believe that they need to look no further than they have for the truth.

But with me, curiosity seems to always prevail. :p

Anyway, thanks.

2. know1nozme

know1nozme High Plains Drifter

Try Stephen Hawking's site. This guy knows his stuff and I think he's really good at explaining things to the non-scientist. Plus he's one of the greatest minds of our time. His lectures in .pdf format are really great, I recommend them highly.

http://www.hawking.org.uk/home/hindex.html

3. SeveredNebula223

SeveredNebula223 Member

Yeah, Ive heard of him. He gave a few seminars recently at the Unity church that I go to. I'll check into it. Thanks!

4. POPthree13

POPthree13 Member

Yes Stephen is quite the resourse for quantum info. I am not sure how you use that to prove the existence/non existence of God though.

What it does show us is that the 'solid' world we take for granted is based on extremely unpredictable particles which can change their nature easily - even just by being observed. It reminds us that everything is made of energy and when viewed at that level everything is connected - almost indistinguishable in fact. What we perceive as separation - us from the trees, us from each other, us from, the universe that surrounds us - is a trick of observation.

The 'solid' world is nothing but an illusion and perhaps, just perhaps, thinking something has more relevance than we can imagine it does.