Does KAVA KAVA get you high?

Discussion in 'Exotic Psychedelic Plants' started by Jay_Billionz, Jul 10, 2008.

1. p0ly

p0ly Senior Member

how is it not real? i take it you're just stupid :2thumbsup:

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Good post, I might have to order some of this stuff, doesn't sound so expensive.

3. drrazzu

drrazzu Member

4. Codone

Codone Member

In my experience, kava gets me more "drunk" than "high". If you enjoy alcohol, benzos, sedatives or barbiturates, you'll probably like kava. The experience is very sedating and floaty at the same time. The trick is getting quality kava. Weak or contaminated stuff is out there and can be worthless or even deadly (google "kava liver damage").

Kava has been used for centuries in the South Pacific islands for its relaxing effects. It can be cool on occasion, but be warned that at least 25 cases of severe liver damage have spontaneously occurred in kava users. Many of these users required liver transplants and suffered no known health problems prior to taking kava. Don't combine with alcohol or acetaminophen, both of which are liver toxins.

Just sharing info that can be found elsewhere on the web. I use kava occasionally for sleep myself, so not dissing it or anything.

5. wierdo809

wierdo809 Guest

i just picked up some kava capsules from the vitamin shoppe the other day. i read about it on the web and it sounded like fun. i took one at first just to see if i would feel anything or have an allergic reaction or sumthin like that. i didnt feel a change after a half hour so i popped 15 more. after about 20 mins i started to feel really chill and floaty. i had some herbal incense i have been smoking for a while called wicked x, but it makes me a little paranoid so i decided to smoke it while on kava. It was a great experience, alot calmer and more relaxed compared to the wicked x alone. i was watching tv and it looked 3D lol. overall i just felt really relaxed and my mind was very clear.

6. XpandUrMind

XpandUrMind Guest

Damiana is madd weird. I smoked it and i became beyond high..... it was actually too much. the paranoia was unreal and it didnt mellow me out at ALL.

Kava is a mild sedative-like feeling. Ive only taken the exract/tincture kind though so i cant say how well the pills/plants work.

from what ive read on various sites kratom is the shit..... but im not sure of the legality of it anymore. i walked up and down st marks place in NYC trying to find it and despite multiple sites stating its easy to find (most postings were from 2008) i proved unsuccessful in finding it.

7. XpandUrMind

XpandUrMind Guest

but some people i know that have smoked damiana have said it has done absolutely nothing which just boggles my mind that the effects can be that far apart amongst individuals.

8. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

the placebo effect can be pretty crazy sometimes

9. 8bitg33k

8bitg33k Guest

Cool. Where do we get the Virgins?

10. peaceman7000

peaceman7000 Member

All it did for me was make me burp up bad tastes and just BARELY take the edge off my anxiety.

11. krozar

krozar Member

Maybe it's time to move up to cough syrup :D

Me and DXM have been good friends.

12. Poodle448

Poodle448 Guest

Kava is very nice. I take about 10 at the least. I just don't know if it is bad for you. Hopefully not! I've heard rumors about it being bad on your liver. :s

13. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

In high doses, the kind you need to get "drunk", it does indeed have a footprint on the liver, however this goes away when you stop taking kava. Of course avoid if you have pre-existing hepatic conditions (like obesity).

The amount that Islanders drink to get drunk is truly staggering . . . I have a 1/2 ounce of Kavalactone extracts which, for me, is approximately 50 doses. A typical native Kava drinker will consume FOUR OUNCES in one day to achieve desired effects. In other words they will consume, in one day, what for me is about 400 individual doses. 200 if I really start to hit it heavy. So we are talking truly massive amounts of kava ingestion here before your liver starts to creak and groan.

14. SunshineChild

SunshineChild Mad Scientist

Kava doesn't hurt your liver. It does give you scaly skin from daily use after several months that quickly goes away upon quitting.

15. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

16. Roseburg1880

Roseburg1880 Guest

I get my dry root powder from Paradise Kava and it is strong. If I drink enough (and it tastes BAD) I get a definite Krunked feeling, not exactly pleasant. A very strong head buzz with some stomach upset, like you have had too much alcohol. If I do it right I feel a little stoned, and euphoric. Dont get supplement Kava at health-food stores, they use leave and branch cuttings- and these are hepetoxic. A few cases of liver failure have been reported in conjunction with supplements.

17. BigDaddyCatt

BigDaddyCatt Guest

I'm fairly beginner when it comes to Kava Kava. I decided to try some Kava from BKH. So I went with the sample pack which contained Waka, Boroguru, Borogu, Melo Melo, and Koniak. This is my first night using and experiencing Kava first hand; making the tea myself. So far I've tried the Waka, Boroguru, Melo Melo, and Kaniak (in that order to). It is definitely noticeable that different strains give different feelings and/or highs. The Waka was almost no body effects, but did have a quite pleasant uplifting feeling although it was quite short-lived. I remember at one point I was simply walking to my car from the apartment and looked around realizing how beautiful it was outside, so I decided it would be nice to smile and look at the sky as well as the leaves moving on the trees being as it is very windy around here at the moment. Later on when I got to my house I decided to try the Boroguru. When I first gulped some down (about half a cup to 3/4 of a cup worth); I got an oncoming rush of enjoyment and I felt euphoria in a sense that I didn't care what I was doing because it felt fun, but I feel like that only lasted about 20 minutes or so and afterwards I just felt relaxed and nothing more. Then I made some Melo Melo. This is my favorite so far because not only was I content on it, but was super-relaxed and quite sedated, so while on this I decided to start painting on my canvas and with confidence. After this I tried the Koniak which so far is my least favorite. I just simply felt relaxed on this strain, but not any other feeling.

I take 1/4 scoop Kava
    1/2 cup Silk Almond Milk (Original)
    1/2 cup Water (Cold)
    Shake well inside of a mason jar.
    Let sit for 20-30 minutes.
    Using Metal Mesh Strainer, straining into a bowl, and squeezing out liquid from remaining plant matter.
    Discard plant matter.
    Then restraining into a cup, then I drink the liquid very slowly being as the drink is so disgusting that I can't drink it fast or I'll gag.

18. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

oooh! i want! source? technique? dosage?

19. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

KAVA

• Mild euphoria

• Sedation

• Relaxation of muscles and mind

• Clear thinking; opening of mind

• Strong anxiolytic effect (studies show as on par with that of benzodiazapines)

• Mood lifting and mellowing effects

• Inebriation, usually without serious mental clouding and coordination problems

• Very mild visual effects (colors more vivid, slight surface rippling, visual snow, double vision) -not incredibly common

• Talkative and sociable behavior (similar to that of mild alcohol intoxication)

• Numbing of tongue, lips, and throat

• Analgesia