Dextromethorphan [DXM] FAQ

Discussion in 'Pharmaceuticals' started by MeatWagon499, Jun 17, 2008.

1. MeatWagon499

MeatWagon499 Senior Member

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
    about Dextromethorphan [DXM]

Updates
    .04 - Added Potentiating DXM section.
    .03 - Added a Brands section thanks to
    Feelings Of U4ia.
    .02 - Added fuckles of drugs not to mix with DXM in the Drug Interactions section.
    .01 - Added mg/lb to the Plateau's to make it easier for those using the standard measurement system to calculate their correct dosage/effects.
    Added
    snocbor's Delsym extraction.

About
    Basically I am writing this for harm reduction. I've noticed alot of people on the forums asking if they have the right syrup or gels over and over. Some even think CCC's (Coricidin Cough & Cold) are safe to take (DO NOT TAKE CCC's!!), which is wrong.
    Some information has been copied and/or modified from Erowid and Dextroverse.

What is Dextromethorphan?
    Dextromethorphan, or DXM for short, is a cough suppressant drug found in cough syrups and cough medicines. It can be used recreationally, but there are risks. It is classified as a dissociative, and compared to Ketamine and PCP.

You can get high off cough syrup?
    Yes, if you choose the right kind; if you pick the wrong kind, you can end up dead. And you may not like the "high" you get; some people love it, others hate it. You should always start off with a low dose (80-200mg's is fine) to see how you individually react to it.

What kinds of cough medicine are safe?
    Anything that contains ONLY Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide (commonly found in Robitussin and generic versions of it), or Dextromethorphan Polistirex (found in Delsym). It is also found in liquid gel caps of various brands. The important thing here is that brands mean nothing about the ingredients inside. ALWAYS check the ingredients, if it has ANYTHING else in it OTHER than Dextromethorphan HBr or Dextromethorphan Polistirex then it is NOT suitable to use recreationally. Save it for when you have a cold.

Other ingredients found in syrups

• Guaifenesin - Causes nausea in large amounts. Can cause kidney stones with repeated use (Painful!!)

• Acetaminophen (Paracetamol, Tylenol) - Overdose will send you into a long, prolonged death. Can cause yellowing of the skin and liver toxicity.

• Pseudoephedrine - Common adverse effects include: central nervous system stimulation, sleeplessness, nervousness, excitability, dizziness and anxiety. Overdose effects include: tachycardia and/or heart palpitations, hallucinations, arrhythmias, hypertension, seizures and ischemic colitis, severe skin reactions, and in particularly high doses can cause episodes of paranoid psychosis.

• Chloropheniramine Maleate (CPM, found in Coricidin Cough & Cold) - Has been known to cause deaths and comas when taken in large amounts. Many people have an allergic reaction to this antihistamine, and bad things can happen in large amounts. This became popular because it was alot easier to do instead of downing some cough syrup. DO NOT under ANY circumstances take this along with DXM.

Drug Interactions

• Antidepressants of any kind. MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) are the worst; DXM + a MAOI will kill you. DXM with other antidepressants can cause serotonin syndrome, an unpleasant and occasionally fatal condition.

• Diet drugs like phentermine, fenfluramine (Redux), or phen-fen. Again, a risk of serotonin syndrome.

• Non-drowsy antihistamines (allergy medicines) like Allegra, Seldane, or Hisminal.

Here is a list of drugs that mixed with DXM can cause Serotonin Syndrome

Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
    Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)
    Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil,
    serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor
    Lexapro, Celexa)
    Venlafaxine (Effexor)
    Trazodone (Desyrel)
    Nefazodone (Serzone)
    Meperidine (Demerol)
    Chlorpheniramine
    Sumatriptan (Imitrex)
    Atypical antipsychotic (Zyprexa, Risperdal, Seroquel)
    L-dopa
    Meridia
    Lithium
    Valproic acid (Depakene)
    Linezolid (Zyvox)
    St John's Wort
    Ginkgo Biloba
    buspirone
    tryptophan
    montelukast(Singulair)
    kanna
    Risperidone
    Aripiprazole(Abilify)
    5-HTP
    Diphenhydramine(Benadryl)
    MDMA(Ecstasy, XTC)

Also, do not mix DXM and amphetamines. This can put alot of stress on the heart due to the combined effects of increased heart rate and blood pressure. Not to mention risk of serotonin syndrome.

DXM and LSA is also ill-advised as LSA can cause vasoconstriction, in conjunction with DXM's high blood pressure this could be unhealthy for the heart and circulatory system (Thanks BillyX).

The Trip
    DXM has notably different effects at different dosage levels. There are 4 distinctive levels, and we call these levels "plateaus". Most recreational use happens during the first and second plateau. Doses are measured in mg/kg or milligrams per kilogram. So to find your dosage take your weight in kg (pounds divided by 2.2), and then divide it by how many total milligrams your taking. It is hard to describe how any of these plateaus feel, because DXM is one of those things you have to experience to know.

• 1st Plateau: 1.5-2.5 mg/kg [.675-1.125mg/lb] This is the weakest level. This feels slightly intoxicating, a little light headed. Some music euphoria is noticable

• 2nd Plateau: 2.5-7.5 mg/kg [1.125-3.375mg/lb] This level is often compared to being stoned and drunk at the sametime. When this might seem true, there is also a noticably strong "mental" high also. You can have trouble talking with slurring, and can have a hard time carrying on an indepth conversation, because your short-term memory can be temporarily impared. And occasionally you can have mild hallucinations.

• 3rd Plateau: 7.5-15 mg/kg [3.375-6.75mg/lb] This level has strong intoxications and hallucinations. Things can become very confusing as your thinking processes are disturbed. You can sometimes daze-off into your own world, and get lost in your own mind. Trips in this plateau can sometimes be unpleasant.

• 4th Plateau: +15 mg/kg [+6.75mg/lb] This is the strongest level. This is a sub-anesthetic dose, and can be compared to a high dose of Ketamine. Your mind and body become seperated at this level and it can become dangerous psychologically, and physically. Personally I say that you should never have to go this high, it can be very dangerous. But whatever you do, NEVER go past 20 mg/kg (about 2000mg for a 220lb person), this can become very toxic and kill you.
    To calculate your dose, take the amount your taking in mg and divide it by your weight. Example: I am 135 pounds and going to take 600mg. 135 / 600 = 4.44, an average 3rd Plateau dose.

DXM Effects

POSITIVE

• mood lift, euphoria
    • giggling, laughing
    • dissociation of mind from body (positive when sought)
    • creative dreamlike experiences
    • Enhanced and pleasurable tactile sensations
    • some users report empathic feelings, forgiveness, warm feelings towards others

NEUTRAL

• pupil dilation
    • visual and aural hallucinations
    • decreased sexual functioning (difficulty achieving orgasm)
    • confusion, disorientation
    • skin sensitivity, alters tactile (touch) and skin sensations
    • robotic, zombie-like walking, "robo-walk"
    • discoordination, reduced agility
    • Loss of appetite
    • Involuntary flexing of muscles
    • Feelings of merging with adjacent objects like a couch or bed (with higher doses)

NEGATIVE

• upset stomach, vomiting
    • dizzyness
    • body itching
    • rash, red blotchy skin
    • diarrhea
    • fever
    • tachycardia (racing, pounding heart)
    • some users report feeling disconnected, isolated from others
    • some users report hangover/depression on the following 1-2 days.

DXM Polistirex
    Dextromethorphan Polistirex is a time-release formulation of DXM. It is basically coated in edible plastic.

Common Sense
    As with any drug, DXM should never be used daily, and should be given much respect. Just because it is legal doesn't make it safe. It can be psychologically addicting. Be sure to space your trips out alot. I wouldn't go over more than 1 trip a month, maximum. Oh, and again, don't take CCC's.

Extractions
    snocbor's Delsym extraction

Potentiating with Grapefruit Juice or Pomegranate Juice
    To make a dose of DXM stronger it is recommended that you drink Grapefruit Juice (not Grape Juice, or Grape Fruit Juice) or Pomegranate Juice within 2 before ingesting DXM.

"Drugs whose metabolism is altered by grapefruit because of its CYP3A4 enzymatic inhibition will be affected to an even greater degree by pomegranate. Quetiapine (Seroquel), for intance, is extensively metabolized by the CYP3A4 enzyme (Bakken et al, 2008). This is, of course, the same enzyme process that is inhibited by grapefruit juice, but new evidence now shows that pomegranate juice has an even more dramatic effect on drugs metabolized this way (Hidaka et al, 2005). Pomegranate juice particularly affects the absorption of carbamazepine Tegretol, as the Hidaka article shows, which means that other anticonvulsants (lamotrigine, valproic acid, oxcarbamazepine, etc.) may be affected in the same way. Hidaka also points out that the effects of ingesting pomegranate will affect drug metabolism for three days, no matter when the drug dose is taken in relation to the pomegranate. In fact, evidence suggests that both pomegranate and starfruit have a much larger effect on this metabolization process than does grapefruit (Fujita et al, 2004). These are significant drug interactions that should be monitored closely in anyone taking these medications."

Source: Wikipedia

Brands

ROBITUSSIN MAXIMUM STRENGTH COUGH
    Active Ingredient: DXM HBr
    4oz = 354mg DXM
    8oz = 708mg DXM

This is probably one of the most used products. Some have said theirs contains no menthol, and some have said theirs does. If given the choice, take the one without menthol. Menthol can irritate the throat, and makes some gag.

CVS TUSSIN MAXIMUM STRENGTH COUGH
    4oz = 354mg DXM
    8oz = 708mg DXM

This is an example of a generic equivalent of Robitussin. The ingredients are basically same as Robitussin, just cheaper, thinner, and no menthol. While CVS is a regional drugstore, and not national, you can always look around in your local drugstore for generic brands. Just check your active ingredients!

EQUALINE MAXIMUM STRENGTH COUGH
    4oz = 354mg DXM
    8oz = 708mg DXM

Another generic version of Robitussin. I personally prefer this to the CVS brand for some unknown(for the moment) reason.
    edit: seems to taste less nasty compared to the CVS brand, and causes me slightly less stomache discomfort on the come-up.

ROBITUSSIN HONEY COUGH
    4oz = 237mg DXM
    8oz = 474mg DXM

This is similar to the maximum strength cough, except that it has a much more "normal" taste (strange honey taste), but it is a lot thicker. A lot of people don't advise this syrup because of its thick consistency, which makes it a lot harder to take in large amounts without getting nausea. Not too many people prefer this brand, or if they do, they usually get sick of it eventually.

VICKS 44 COUGH RELIEF
    4oz = 237mg DXM
    8oz = 474mg DXM

Some people choose this brand. It tends to be thick, nasty tasting (like most syrups) and contains less DXM than Robitussin Max Strength.

DELSYM
    Active Ingredient: DXM Polistirex
    3oz = 534mg DXM Polistirex

Most people say this is the easest to drink (taste wise), but its fairly expensive for one 3oz bottle. This syrup contains DXM Polistirex which is usually not as good as DXM HBr. This takes notably longer to kick in, takes more to be as intense, and lasts longer.

Robitussin Cough Gels
    This is the easiest DXM-only pills to find out there. Contains half the amount Dexalone does but easier to find. I personally would rather chug a semi-liquid syrup than eat all those lil gelcaps (barf).

DEXALONE
    Package = 10, 30 geltabs
    1 Geltab = 30mg DXM

These pills contain only DXM and can be difficult to find. Check out their webpage for more info. Its not that great of a deal for 900mg for $12. Most pharmacies will order this product for you if you ask, and maybe even stock them on the shelves if you give them enough business.

Dexalone's webpage: http://www.dexgen.com/

Sucrets
    Package = 18 lozenges
    1 lozenge = 10mg DXM

This is a throat lozenge that contains 10mg of dxm a piece. Some people choose this route and eat them whole, or they might try an extraction on them.

Info on how to do an extraction on sucrets: http://www.dextroverse.org/extractions.html#sucretex

Okay, so there ya go, there is some really good information about the different types of products out there, and a little info on each one. All of this information was taken from http://www.dextroverse.org

This is a site that I used to use quite a bit back in my DXM days, it has a ton of information, and a fun forum to talk to other DXM users.

Another good site to learn more is: http://third-plateau.org/

Also, as I am sure a lot of people know, Erowid is also a good reference, just don't trust everything you read on the internet though.

Also, this is a very good read if you are a new or inexperienced with DXM, I actually think it is a must read:

http://www.dextroverse.org/faq.html

There are 3 links to different ways to view the FAQ, but it is all the same FAQ.

Well, there ya go guys, there is my contribution for the day. I hope I helped out some people, and please guys, be very careful with DXM. People think it's harmless because it's found in OTC cough medications, but it is a VERY powerful dissociative drug, in the SAME family as PCP and Ketamine, believe it or not!

If anyone has anything they think is worth adding, just post it and I'll edit.

2. San remo red

San remo red Member

nice, im a big dxm fan lol ... love the shit. thanks for info

3. i0-techno

i0-techno The Magnificent Dope

This post can be applied to many other pharms.

4. MeatWagon499

what like benzo's and opiates? those seem to be the main topics of question around here. instead of people asking already known facts, they could be sharing experiences etc.

5. st. stephen

st. stephen Senior Member

who ever mods here needs to sticky. nice faq by the way. im on a nice 300 m.g. right now :)

6. does2

does2 Member

i'm glad to see this post!
    so many people i know take CCC's like they're candy.
    i'm like wtf, we should all do a little legit research into anything we put into ourselves, not resort to shots in the dark on forums or from friends.

7. i0-techno

i0-techno The Magnificent Dope

Maybe people don't do as much of the stuff as it seems like or they do it for recreation which in my experience doesn't lead to much of a trip at all.

The one good trip I had off DXM isn't something you can share either, lest it be by the way I live and react to life in general and the way I appear to be because it has changed me as much as age has, as much as school has, and much and anything can and will when it touches you, I give it as much credit and respect as I give my first real good fuck with a real good female and don't try and put it into mere words when I can show my self by just remembering the then and incorporating it into my now.

8. henktank

henktank Member

Dxm is for babies who can't get real drugs, keep doing your cough syrup till your balls drop one day and are able to find the real stuff worth talking about. This was all copied, not modified, just switched around the order. Should of just put the link to the 2 sites you stole it from.

9. BillyX

BillyX Member

Your a moron, what defines DXM as not a real drug? I would love to listen to your reasoning.

Good post MeatWagon! sadly my days of DXM are over for now :( ohh well when i get off the anti-depressants ill have my self a good trip :p

10. MeatWagon499

thanks for the comments henktank, yes it was copied from other websites because it seems like many people on this forum don't know how to do any research about what their putting into their bodies. oh and i think i read somewhere, no outside links allowed.

DXM is a real drug, lucky for us it isn't controlled. was LSD not a real drug when it was legal, before 1970? also, I have done many many drugs and guess what, DXM is still in my top drugs of choice. just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to act like a dick.

11. henktank

henktank Member

you're right, im sowwy

12. iamthewalrus22

iamthewalrus22 Member

GOod post... my friends are too lazy to read the long dxm faq (the one on erowid) so ill send them this one

13. Jedite83

Jedite83 Van Dweller

This is nice having a shorter FAQ like this one - the full FAQ (which I recommend everyone who does DXM read) is to long and a very dry read.

14. Severely stoned

Severely stoned Senior Member

I might actually try DXM one of these days now that i've read this. Maybe.

15. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

To be honest my best DXM trips blew away LSD, shrooms, weed . . . nothing compares when it hits you the right way. The universe is dissolved and there is only infinite consciousness and awareness of your self, yet you are transformed into a godlike being. It's absolutely nuts (This is at around 600-800 mg). People say it's not a 'party drug', which is right, if you don't know anyone at the party. If you are with good friends who enjoy or don't mind drugs, dxm is awesome.

16. MeatWagon499

Honestly my best LSD and Mushroom trips have blown DXM away. But they are more like sacraments to me, not party drugs at all. On DXM I can be around drunk friends and have a GREAT time, which I could never do on LSD.

17. sdng

sdng Member

yeah i think i'm gunna try 550mg on my next dose.. i don't know if i'm tolerant to it or something, but i drank a whole 4oz bottle of tussin over a 2 hr period & i expected more.. it was fun while it lasted (very short), but hopefully next trip is more mind-expanding

18. IllCanabillyVanilly

IllCanabillyVanilly Senior Member

Not sure if I should ask this here or post a different thread, but does anyone else get like a "dead" look in their face when they do DXM? I've done DXM many times now and I still get freaked out when I look at myself in the mirror because I look dead (pale face, black pupils, panicked look, etc).

Almost like the pic of Peter Albin in my sig.

19. MeatWagon499

"zombie" look if i do 600mg+, my friends usually just say i look like a little kid.

20. Charlisangel

Charlisangel Member

How long the ''trip'' last? and can I be in my room alone on dxm Without waking rents or do stupid shit.