want to make a decent living, with a happy life

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by Mrs.Krinkle, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Mrs.Krinkle

Mrs.Krinkle Banned

I'm 18 and im graduating from high school in like 20 days. (wooh!)
    But I have no idea what i wanna do with my life, i did terrible in school and i dont want to go to college anyways. At my current job I make 8.50 an hour, and i cant stand my boss. Id like to make decent money (idk, 20-30k a year) but i want to live a pretty laid back lifestyle. Basically I dont want a job where Im gonna be busy all the time and stressed out and stuff. I was thinking about massage therapy.

Does anybody have any suggestions about what I could do with just a diploma and maybe a year or so of schooling? or none?

2. Pengilum

Pengilum Member

well, 20-30 k a year isnt really DECENT. If you dont want to have kids or anything, and want to live in a bad neighboorhood (Generally, in my area atleast), then its ok.

I did HORRIBLE in school, actually got kicked out, twice. and graduated from an alternative school. College wasnt my thing then, I joined the Navy, got a couple years left, deffinatly alot more mature now, and actually looking forwards to going back home and attending college on the goverments bill.

You arent gonna have many choices with just a diploma. Because so many poeple go beyond that, so they get preference. I'm no genius or anything, but I dont think Massage Therapy is really a practical job choice, unless you want to give "Erotic" massages, and post on craigslist, that seems to work well. dont get me wrong, some people I am sure are very successful, but I am sure the majority of people in the job field arent doing that well.

3. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

^^ wow, do you think you can by ANY more negative about not going to college?

mrs.krinkle, i think massage therapy sounds like a great idea... in fact, its something i'm about to go get certified for too! :) at least sometime in the forseeable future! but i made between 20 and 30k last year, and supported both myself and my live in partner and lived relatively well! it all depends on how comfortable you are living in a non-yuppie suburbia kind of neighborhood, and how much you think you need to live off of! reduce bills such as cable, cell phones, etc.... and you'll be fine! society wants us all to think we need to make 50k or more a year to survive COMFORTABLY, and i can tell you from experience, you do NOT have to make that kind of money or live with that kind of stress! it's in your priorities.

oh... and for other work ideas... i work in direct care with adults with mental retardation, and working a 40 hour, relatively stress free, and does not require a degree other than high school. just an idea for you! it's incredibly fun and rewarding! good luck with whatever you decide!

4. Lookit!

Lookit! Member

I did exactly what you are talking about, when I was 18 I didnt want to do all the "core" classes (English, Science, Math) again in college. So, my local college offered Massage Therapy. At my age, it was AMAZING. It opens your mind to a lot of other avenues of healthcare and tunes you in to the body and how it works. Wow, in my class, our "business" teacher did a meditation before class started. You will most likely get a certificate, and in some colleges you may get an Associates Degree in Massage Therapy or natural healing or some other form of alternative therapy.
    Either way, it is a nice and relatively inexpensive education. My advice is to check out your options for schools. some teach better than others, with more things to learn about (which is better because when you go to get hired it helps to have a broad spectrum of experiences.) And also, Massage Therapy is a growing field. In my small town, the local hospital hired a girl from my class. They only pay $20.00 an hour, but they have great benefits. Check out the average pay in your area. It's got potential.

5. real_large

real_large Member

Impressive, tree. And you're in California? I thought a loaf of bread there cost $27.95! [​IMG]

6. nakedtreehugger

lol... actually, last year i was living in virginia... just moved to cali. not sure what we'll have to make to live "comfortably," as we are in the 2nd most expensive county in all of cali. but i will tell you, a loaf of decent bread doesn't cost THAT much... well, it is abou 3.50 but ya know... i just get whatever is on sale, as long as it's whole grain or whole wheat or oatmeal or something yummy and nutritious. gotta dig out the breadmaker and start making it again. :)

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What is the 2nd most expensive county in Cal,if you don't mind me asking?

8. nakedtreehugger

sonoma county.... at least that's what i've heard

9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah,that's probably true.It's sure beautifull there,tho.My little hometown is below Fresno 30 miles.It's NOT beautifull.

10. elover

elover ritz with cheese

I'm with the original thread started. I dropped out of high school this year and got my ged and started at the local community college and I can't stand it. I don't care for money, and this summer I'm just cutting grass with a guy making $12/hr. I plan on moving out but living with friends. I don't need so many material things

11. nakedtreehugger

well, it is pretty, if you like rural mountains and stuff... at least where i'm at. i prefer hot dry flat lands though, so it's kinda different for me. and housing is hella expensive. but right now i've got a sweet deal going on, so i'm not gonna complain... well, i guess i just did, but i'm really pretty stoked about it. it's better than swetty vagina, where i used to live (aka virginia)

12. Pengilum

Pengilum Member

Yea, im in VA right now, in Norfolk, but I live on base, and have commissary privledges, so everything is beyond cheap, and my gas averages about 15 cents cheaper than off base.

I saw someone mention 20 dollars an hour earlier. That 20 dollars CAN be a good wage, if you have decent benefits, then yea, thats not a bad job. But thats the thing, are there alot of jobs in the field that provide benefits? Its hard to find that alot of times in jobs in the 20k range. Sure, alot of places will pay you 15-25 dollars an hour. But when you get sick, you go to the doctor, and fork over 150 bucks. Plus Rx costs, Well thats A couple days work down the drain. =\

And whats good for the moment wont always be so good. You NEED to be thinking about retirement, with the average age now hitting near 100, you need to be able to support your self after your working years. Because Social Security isnt going to be there. (This is assuming no major impacts on our way of life, rogue nuclear attack, or whatnot. Some people doubt that will ever happen, or even COULD happen. Not allowed to give any particulair reasons, but, there is some scary stuff going on that not many people know.) But deffinatly, dont let yourself get stuck in the idea of, I am fine now, I am paying my bills with a little left over, so Im doing good. Make sure you set yourself up so you can improve, or at minimum, keep that way of life, for your later years.

13. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

Find your passion and pursue it. Even if it means a couple of years in some sort of schooling.

14. zihger

zihger Senior Member

I am a jack of many trades I do massage therapy a little about 3 or 4 massages a week that’s about all I can do with out it seeming like crappy labor.

But just doing a few a week I love it…

I still owe about $8000. for my education in it but it was worth it just in the self expansion I got out of it.

But to be honest the market is flooded wit CMTs and it can be really hard to get clients. The schools will tell you that when you get out you will earn 40-80$ an hour ect but it’s not that easy, same as all things.

But you learn some really cool stuff studying it, which could turn into a good fountain for a lot of other healing and medical stuff also.

Might see what your local community collage has also.

15. D_MAN

D_MAN Member

wow..I'm in the same boat as you. I'm doing horrible in school and all that, and I'm looking into massage therapy. However, I was thinking about joining a commune or something, so it might be a bit easier in terms of money. and I don't really care where I live, everywhere I've gone so far isn't all that bad so I'm down.

16. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

Hi kids, I have a lot of experience with what you're talking about in 3 different parts of the country... so let me tell you, it varies widely. However, there are quite a few cool jobs out there that don't require college education or any kind of schooling... and there are always volunteer positions with room and board that actually train you for skills that you might want to pursue as a "fun" career... when it comes to retirement and benefits, that all depends on your lifestyle, there are plenty of people who own their own businesses who don't need benefits or retirement, if you do what you love and take care of your health, you can save enough for what health expenses you might need, but if you take care of your health you usually don't need it... this is based on lots of people in alternative healing and other alternative careers that I've worked with, who own their own businesses.

In terms of massage therapy, having that experience can get you into other forms of health and healing as well, there are lots of opportunities to work as a massage therapy in many different situations, but it can also be enough training to get you a job with another alternative health field that is related... there are a million options out there, if you don't want to go to school, don't go... if you can't find the information you're looking for on the internet, pm I have a huge list of sites that can help... apprenticeships, jobs, internships, communities, training and more.

17. Jedite83

Jedite83 Van Dweller

2 words: Professional Panhandler

18. AtlantaIncense

AtlantaIncense Member

Massage Therapy could and is an excellent career choice. Though the job could be physical; standing for long period of time, vigorus workout of arms/shoulders etc., it can be financially rewarding.
    I mention this from experiece of having a massage or two monthly..as an addition to my healthy lifestyle.
    My therapist works in the privacy of her home/office and charges up to $80.00 an hour. I know for a fact she has a huge client base, yet with only a several appointments a day, can carve out a nice living.

I say, "go for it!". Find yourself a good school, start out working somewhere and build from there. You are young, with much time for trial and error. Best of luck!

19. Sheilabear

Sheilabear Member

Massage therapy is a great way to make money and heal people! In CA Palm Springs although not a choice place to live is a great place to be a MT and make lotsa dough! Joshua Tree located nearby is a better place to play and live while working in Palm Springs.

20. GrisGris

GrisGris Member

move to colorado... be a ski bum... worked for me