Do you think ADHD is real?

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by Fluffernutter, Mar 27, 2008.

1. goofydrummer

goofydrummer Senior Member

and you're kind of a bitch.

2. Karmalized

Karmalized Member

not really.

i'm just kind of NOT IGNORANT. :)

3. Karmalized

Karmalized Member

okay, okay, okay. i kind of take back that comment. but you're not doing your self any favors by making your self sound like you did. explain your argument more thoroughly next time and let the world know that you are truly intelligent. :)

4. goofydrummer

Wow, you're so special and smart. Good for you. Drop your big ego and get a life. I put in my opinion, and you called me an idiot. In the future accept others opinions with an open mind instead of simply putting them down. I cant believe the words on your signature were put there by you, as you are not following your claimed "hippie values". Compassion, Acceptance, Tolerance, Love?

5. goofydrummer

And yeah I have been diagnosed as having ADHD, so I definitely feel that my opinion is valid.

6. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

I'm sorry Karmalized that somehow you've been brainwashed into thinking that there is something wrong with you. Well there is nothing wrong with you, you are just different. Add is just a name someone came up with as excuse to try and make you the same as everyone else. Well there is nothing wrong with you except for the fact that you are not everyone else, you are yourself.

7. Pellinore

Pellinore Member

The old man with the star behind his name is always right ^ :p.

8. OlderWaterBrother

:smilielol5:

9. Karmalized

Karmalized Member

just because i'm a hippie it means i have to blindly accept someone elses opinion, no matter how idiotic i may find it to be?

i think not.

i too, am entitled to my opinion.

my opinion was that your opinion was idiotic.

and i don't have an ego.

accusing me of such is pretty laughable.

10. OlderWaterBrother

Seeing as this question is in the Home Schooling forum.

I just thought that I’d mention that Public Schools are pretty much one size fits all and are designed to fit the majority of learning styles.

So if you or your child’s learning style does not happen to fit into Public School, you or your child is labeled as somehow defective. But nothing could be further from the truth.

It just means that Public School was not designed with you or your child in mind.

So perhaps Home Schooling, if you have the time and abilities to do it, would be best for someone so labeled.

11. shellebelle

shellebelle Member

No, I don't believe it had anything to do with meds. We NEVER relied on meds as a crutch to make him easier to deal with for us. We never used meds on the weekends or during his summer break. I'm glad we got him off of them when we did. I think it's a combination of the neurofeedback that we had him do, and just him growing older and learning to use his way of thinking to accomplish what he needs to. I think a lot of folks get better about it with age.

I also get what the one lady said about it being something where the person is a "hands on" learner....he is very much that way...excelling in science, art, auto mechanics, etc., and doing very poorly in things like English. Our son is very bright but cares nothing about school, and will try anything to get out of work in a class he doesn't like. For example, just this year, he had a high C in english with a week of school left, and just quit doing anything (of course we didn't know this, as he is a sophomore in high school, and I knew that he had all B's and C's up to that point). He ended up just not doing a test...getting a 0 on it and several assignments. He thought his C was high enough that it wouldn't drop him below a D-. But he ended up failing and having to take summer school (which he completed in 4 days). You would think he would learn not to do shit like that, but he doesn't seem to. It doesn't make him "bad", but I sure don't understand him....when I was a kid, I would have just sucked it up and thought "well only a week left".

I worry for him in the future, because I think he may have trouble relating to a boss, and may end up working for the family business. He's not lazy or unpleasant in any way, but if there's something he doesn't like or doesn't want to do, he just won't do it.

And I TOTALLY understand him not liking English; I despised English and Algebra as a kid, and excelled in biology, chemistry (any science, really), art,
    and suprisingly, geometry. But algebra I never fucking understood at all. And english, I understood but hated. I thought it was boring as hell.

12. gnome89

gnome89 Member

Ive been "diagnosed" with it and i hate taking the med. Which i stopped like the third time. I do think that is it very over diagnosed though. It seems like a lot of times the teachers dont want to attempt to struggle with anyone.

13. shellebelle

shellebelle Member

This is ABSOLUTELY true. Many teachers don't want to take the time to work with difficult students. Many schools don't have enough teachers to take care of even the "normal" students, and the teachers are stretched thin. For a while, the teacher was isolating our son in a cubicle in the classroom just so he could not disrupt the class or become distracted by things like people rustling papers etc. We objected to this because it was singling him out (this was in 2nd grade) and making the other students pick on him. While I understood the idea, we decided that it was causing more problems than it was worth and insisted that he be put in with the other students. They wanted to put him in an IEP (individualized education plan) but he didn't qualify because he had a normal IQ. The only way they could have an IEP was if he was diagnosed with ADD and was receiving meds for it. Then he would be considered "learning disabled".

He also despised his pill, and would spit it out or forget to take it whenever possible. This baffled me, cause I thought his pill was awesome fun, but ADHD kids DO NOT like it.

14. goofydrummer

I didn't say that you should accept my opinion. I said that you should respect it and not call be an idiot, but rather reply stating why you disagree. Even if you do think the claim is idiotic, it isn't necessary to tell me that. And yeah I apologize for calling you a bitch, I was just kind of upset at the time that I read that.
    wheres the love?

15. OlderWaterBrother

Thanx for saying this.
    We need to teach our children to do this, not drug them till they are "normal" in the eyes of others.

16. Karmalized

Karmalized Member

it's right here--->:grouphug:

i apologize for all the negativity.

17. gnome89

gnome89 Member

This is how i describe it. Its like your swimming upstream basically. The meds do calm you down and at some point make you feel a little better, but then they get heavy and you just feel like youre being held down.

18. Pellinore

Pellinore Member

Euphoria is one of the effects of relatine, the feeling of feeling better is fake, just like when you would take xtc.

edit: This is also what i ment in a previous post, it has scarifying similiarities with meth (a.e speed)
    Euphoria, increased concentration and even mood swings. Maybe relatine might be safe, but it can mess up ones mind pretty well... or that is what i experienced, and i've heard similar stories of other people who went pretty much downhill after taking relatine, on the psychological aspect that is.

19. goofydrummer

Same here. its all good.
    :cheers2:

20. tuttiflutes

tuttiflutes Member

As the parent, former homeschooler, music teacher..I believe ADD a ADHD exists....
    ADHD is hand in hand with impulse control issues can get you into lots of trouble when you don't know how to think before you act or speak. My son was homeschooled till 7th grade and was considered a genius, musically, mathematically, etc....on an on, however he borderlined aspergers in the emotional and social department. Long story short, goes to college, with high SAT scores..He was diagnosed ADHD and his IQ scores were ridiculous with certian spacial and visual things way off. Ie. 23 and refuses to drive a car, (He bumps into ting when he is walking)but is an amazing symphony musician....

His friends did a chemical experiment at a music camp with Adderall,(He was insulting everyone in his quartet and so fidgety) and he said he never felt better in his whole life..As good a musician he was he felt he could not concentrate to be great, and he can has much difficulty expressing himself which can get a person with these issues in a lot of trouble. The Adderall only prescribed since 19 has been a life saver for him. Especially if you are in the limelight. It is very hard to be a great leader if you insult everyone who makes a mistake that plays with you.

His oppositional behavior is also less noticable when he is medicated..
    It seems they have been using adderall fo over 60 years, it has now recently approved for adolescents.(I wish he had been diagnosed in Highschool, it would have saved him alot of hassle). Recently one ove my Kindergarted girls was placed on it and it was like night and day in this brilliant child, she just had no control overself. I was amazed that it was prescribed to so young a child.. Ritialin and Concerta are commonly given now and I am against medicating young children but...Every case is individual..I am a trained music therapist and I know MUSIC and the dicipline of the Suzuki Method made my sons ADHD into a gift. But since 75% of children with ADHD do NOT grow out of it and sometimes they need help, just like a pair of eye glasses..Don't be afraid to medicate ...They know alot more now about the medications, just be sure it is a last resort...