dry dreads, BREAKAGE!, please help

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by dubroots125, Mar 27, 2008.

1. dubroots125

dubroots125 Member

hi,

this is my first post on this forum, im just in need of some help with my dry locs,

ive had my dreads for about 18 months ive always used dread fx wax and shampoo on my hair, i only use the wax when my hair is desperatly dry but recently im finding my hair feels dry alot of the time and im getting some breakage at the roots,

i would like to find a natural way of moisturising my hair so i can stop using wax,
    i need somthing that will keep my hair healthy and stronger, ive thought about using aloe vera but im not sure wot it will do and even were do i get it from???

is there anything someone here can recomend to keep my locs healthy and stop breakage???

i really apreciate your help

thanks

2. lunatic_on_the_grass

lunatic_on_the_grass Member

aloe vera works.... get it from the plant.

and get out that wax....!!!!!

3. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

the wax does ya no good at all and only harms ya
    get it alllll out get yiouyr hair clean as can be

if u used wax u got a real mess to get out..very very hot water..dr bronners (diluted) scrub..do the deep cleanse..scrob..when your hairs clean use a lil aloe..sparingly

keep em clean and theyll grow long and strong..gunk em up and they wont last 5 years

think..natural..think pure..

and think no residue (thats all wax is..residue coat build up..the feeling you call muisturized is really called coated)

get your hair clean of all residue and it moisturizes itself

wax u just trap crap and never get clean

4. Dancing_Sun

Dancing_Sun Member

if you use aloe vera, buy a plant and grow it your self ! all you need is a sunny window, very easy to care for

5. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

Besides aloe you can try an all-natural conditioner. It may make them REALLY frizzy for a few days but it'll also get them nice and soft. My dreads were feeling really dry this past winter so I conditioned them once a month for 2 or 3 months. Did the trick.

6. creative_pagan

creative_pagan Member

Use a little Jojoba oil on your scalp every now and then. Its full of goodness and balances out the ph of your scalp. Put it on and wrap with cling film and a warm towel and leave for a bit ( at least half an hour). Then wash out. You can also put a little on the driest parts of your dreads, if they're mature. Dont put it on the roots though as the hair will be too soft and hinder the locking.

Buy it from any health food shop

7. happiehippie

happiehippie Member

my hair is naturally dry, so my dreads are even worse. I use conditioner all the time. Works a treat!

8. PeaceItOut

PeaceItOut Member

i'm not sure if this is the best advice...somebody correct me...but i have seen dread butter on dreadheadhq...which says it cures just what you are describing. I'm not sure if it is crappy like most of their products, just thought i'd put it out there.

dreads are supposed to be dry and nappy, but like dry to the point of breakage, you might be using a soap that does not agree with your hair.

9. Brookie the Wookie

Brookie the Wookie Guest

Hey all,

I have had my dreads for 4 years now, and they have grown up each with their own personality.
    The trouble i am finding now is that the tips of a few of them are breaking, i.e - the last couple of centimetres break at a weakpoint. on one of my dreads i lost a good 5 or 6 cms! :( :(
    its about to happen again on another one, so i was wondering if anyone has any idea how to keep the hair alive / strong?
    I see ads on TV for shampoo that advertise 'prevent breakage', except they are chemical mainstream shampoos that are made for normal hair

10. soaringeagle

i lost 8inched to2 feet off most of mine i find read chucnks lyin atround amost every day but its fiom being tripped over too much

vitamin e and aloe should strengthen your dreasds aot
    moisturuze too

11. kawa

kawa Member

When my hair is dry I rub a tiny amount of coconut oil on. I have also conditioned with no ill effect.

12. nympfsue

nympfsue Member

...mine are very dry too, i guess i cant rub my hair from root to end anymore when it was undreaded and the natural oil from my scalp isn't moisturizing my hair no more :( but uhh so i can use conditioner on my dreads? mine are 2 months old but pretty tight. i thought that might get rid of weaker and newer knots? i have some really good redkin conditioner i bought just before i started dreading lol what a waste of money.

13. soaringeagle

if u condition new dreads just dont often
    id use a residue dfee naturalo conditione like aloe or apple cidar vinagar
    diluted alot

cocia butter or jojoba oils good for tighter dreads..

if u condotion..dont do it every time do it nly whenneedd

u can also mix jojoba teatree rosemary thyme with some olive oil then mix that with waterr to sprewad it throughy the dreads leave it in awhike b4 rincing

i find vinager makes an excelent conditioner too and keeps hair flexable

14. nympfsue

nympfsue Member

yeah i used some comercial stuff, i can still feel it in there it didnt rinse out, i guess it isnt residue free :(

15. soaringeagle

most arent
    try apople cidar vinagar ..a cap full or 2 in a gallon of water dump it in wait 10 min rince it iut
    i added 15 drops teatee and 15 rosemary to it with a big glob of aloe and it worked grewat