Morphine and Hiccups?

Discussion in 'Opiates' started by polecat, Mar 21, 2008.

1. polecat

polecat Weerd

A random topic I know, but does snorting morphine precipitate the hiccups? Because I've been noticing a connection between sniffing morphine and hiccuping.

Naturally I'm curious. And does anyone know some good cures for the hiccups? ;P

2. Verisimilitude

Verisimilitude Member

Hey P,

Surprisingly, I've experienced a similar effect for myself with most opiates... roughly a third of the time I use pills (not just ms contin but also oxycontin/ other tabs containing APAP) I end up with anoying ass hiccups that will continue seemingly indefinately.

What I do is either chew 4 extra strength Tums, or drink a couple shots of Pepto Bismol... this usually kicks the huccups unless I lay down in the next hour in which case they come back.

Good luck man,

-V

3. Twizz

Twizz Drug Conoisseur

Yeah I get chronic hiccups from Morphine too, I thought I was the only one.

I just hold my breath for as long as I can or take long, deep breaths. It doesn't help much though, probably for 15-30 minutes.

4. polecat

polecat Weerd

Well it's good to know I'm not alone. God they're annoying, especially when you're trying to have a conversation.

I guess it is only when I sniff, because I just slammed 40mg's, and I'm feeling fine with no pesky hiccups. :)

5. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

The government has mandated this new hiccup formula be added to all opiate pharmies by 2009. Currently on 30% have the new formula.

6. MagicSwhirlingShip

MagicSwhirlingShip Member

same especially w/ the ms

7. browntrout

browntrout Member

Hmm, kinda surprising that M could precipitate hiccups. Morphine exerts a powerful relaxation on the respiratory system. That includes the diaphragm, the muscle just below the lungs that triggers hiccups when it goes into spasms. In fact, that's one of the principle dangers of M: when you overdose on it, your diaphragm and lungs are relaxed to the point that you just stop breathing. Morphine should have the opposite effect of causing hiccups; it should prevent them.

8. Diesel911

Diesel911 Member

I seem to get a case of the hiccups from all opiates. Pharmacuetical opiates that is, especially when taking with beer. Beer + Percocet = Hiccup Hell

9. Shocbomb

Shocbomb Member

Yes I think alot of people get the hiccups as a side effect from all opiates.Its just like not being able to piss. I also get the hiccups sometimes when I am nice and high. I noticed I also get them from time to time now when taking my methadone.

10. ava

ava Member

great thread:) amazing that so many "hiccup" i couldn't stop the hiccups or burping last night...i managed too stop them by having a few cones i had no idea that it was so common

11. bats84

bats84 Member

This is my first time posting here. I also get VERY bad hiccups when taking oxy or morphine. Sometimes it's so bad it becomes painful. I'm really surprised so many people have experienced this. Anyone know what causes this?

12. st. stephen

st. stephen Senior Member

actually yes, and sometimes with oral. it gets bad for me over 100 m.g. if i take to much and end up gettin a morphine hangover the next day ill have em then too

13. Adamist

Adamist Member

Hmm, never experienced it.

14. THCsetmefree

THCsetmefree Member

I friend of mine took 30mg's of morphine the other day and had hickups for hours...we tried everything and they wouldnt stop...lol...that shit had me stumpted.

15. Joe Hippie

Joe Hippie Member

I get mad hiccups after getting high on benzos. SO annoying. I just hold my breath.

But, i know that 1 tablespoon with raspberry jam actually helps instant.

16. ZenStateOfMind

ZenStateOfMind Member

Tried various opiates and never had or heard of hiccups but when I do get them take a spoon full of sugar and eat it then very quickly down it with water. After that hiccups will be gone! Sometimes you may have to do it twice but it has always worked for me.

17. happydude_60

happydude_60 Senior Member

When I get hiccups I just hold my breath. Sometimes it takes several attempts, but it works. I think their cause from drugs and alcohol is not breathing in the right rhythm. When you hold your breath you kind of "reboot" everything. If that makes any sense, lol. Anyway, it works. So does drinking a little vinegar.

18. MuSHMuSHTRiP

MuSHMuSHTRiP Guest

I get hiccups almost everytime I do any opiates.

19. happydude_60

happydude_60 Senior Member

I've never gotten hiccups from opiates. Alcohol is a different story. But I don't do that much any more.

20. Morphodone37

Morphodone37 Members

Found the perfect solution for hiccups guys. I'll explain this as frankly as I can, for anyone looking for an answer.

This might be a few years late, but since I started taking Morphine for pain (insanely bad pain, like, I would shoot myself if a gun was anywhere near me bad) I get hiccups every day and they will NOT stop. 120mg - 240mg per day orally.

Since I'm also on Tramadol, this results in uncontrollable burping, I'm assuming the Tramadol HCL results in the release of Hydrogen which explains why it comes up so easily, since it's a light gas, but even without Trams, the Morphine I think is also an HCL preparation and will do the same thing, but because it relaxes the lungs/diaphragm it just somehow gets trapped. Again, this is pure speculation, I'm not a scientist so I don't know.

The trick I found is to make yourself gag. Gagging seems to "push" any air out of your stomach through your throat and clears whatever is there. It works EVERY SINGLE TIME. I used to hold my breath and that would work, but now it only gives 10 - 20 small burps and no relief from the hiccups.

Drinking loads of water would also work, but no longer, although I do find drinking a lot beforehand seems to prevent them more often than not, since opiates can leave you feeling thirsty or "dried out" and I always felt like this was my body's way of saying, "Drink something dumbass".

Start by mostly emptying your lungs (full lungs don't work as well) and stick something down your throat - a finger is fine, but nails can scratch your throat and cause a few days worth of sharp pain and discomfort. The best things are a Toothbrush (go brush your tongue at the back for a minute). If that doesn't work, try pushing a teaspoon there and you'll gag a lot more. Dry gagging doesn't work, you have to feel actual gas being pushed out. It can sometimes take a few minutes of continuous trying for it to work, but it always does eventually, the only problem is that people nearby will either think you're really sick or bulimic.

What I would say, though, is be careful not to choke or make yourself vomit, vomiting will obviously fix it guaranteed but it doesn't need to get to that stage. Just give it a try next time you have bad drug related hiccups and see what happens.