21 Years in a 1973 Dodge Van

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by TwoDogs, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Hello TwoDogs.. Not a van question, but it was suggested by rollingalong that you know about solar stuff. I don't suppose you have any experience with Outback equipment? Running into difficulty programming our Mate to be able to charge batteries with the generator. Looking for anyone who might be able to see where we're going wrong.

2. TwoDogs

TwoDogs This space for rent. Lifetime Supporter

Still cutting. Still moving rocks. Still wondering whose brilliant idea this was.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  3. TwoDogs

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Running Horse likes this.
  4. TwoDogs

I don't have a clue what a Mate is, or how you program one. Sorry dude.

5. TwoDogs

I need to have the road passable (and wide enough) at all points in case I need to have my van towed to the top of the hill. We'll see about being able to do what I want to do. There are a myriad of regs. I'm now in a county that's over run by Californians looking to micro-manage EVERYONE'S life.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  6. TwoDogs

Hey dude. Great to be seen.

7. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Ha, no problem. Thanks for answering.

Awesome thread,btw

8. ThyTilx

ThyTilx Members

I'm thinking about doing this, what states are generally the best to hangout in? In city's where would you park for a night if you found yourself in one? How easy is it to find jobs so you have income just incase the vehicle starts having issues? Stupid questions but I want assurance so i have the courage to do it...

9. TwoDogs

Sorry if I sound grumpy, but...I am a grump. All those questions are already answered in this thread.

10. pollyhannahestherbriggs

pollyhannahestherbriggs Members

thats what I want to do with my life.

Time Out of Mind likes this.
  11. Varmint

Varmint Member

Get a job and save your money. Buy a van. Cargo vans are best these days. Some of the best advice you're ever gonna' get is on Bob Wells' forum: cheaprvliving.com and he has tons of info on his blog as well. Much of his stuff was moved to a youtube channel last time I checked a few years ago. Twodogs seems to have remembered why he enjoyed living like a hermit in his van. I don't blame him. This thread has been an inspiration to many while he was here. I hope he doesn't mind me jumping in here like this.

Cello Song likes this.
  12. TwoDogs

Of course I don't mind, I haven't been around much. Next month I'll have owned my property for three years and not a single one of my projects has been completed. Not one.

I now have a large family of birds that hang out with me. The family grows each year in size and species. Mostly Woodhouses Scrub Jays. They're raucous, intelligent and very entertaining. Juniper Titmice eat out of my hand.

Anyhoo...that's my big update.

13. TwoDogs

For those of you that like birds, I started a youtube channel a while back, mostly devoted to the birds that call my property home. It has over 100 short videos, and if you are interested, you can watch a new generation of scrub jays find their way in this world. You can see the society as it forms and watch the babies' personalities develop. You can watch "BigBoy" come into the van to steal dogfood while I'm lying on the bed with Skwert the dog. You can watch "Nellie," who was a nervous and neurotic female when she first showed up, find her self confidence and her place in society by developing a new skill. (Catching peanuts out of the air. Watch Nellie catch peanuts tossed 15 and 20 feet into the air.) I find it fascinating, I never knew just how smart these birds are.

It all started with a bag of bird seed, a hanging feeder made from the bottom of a gallon jug and some tiewraps and a single pair of Woodhouse's Scrub Jays. Believe me...it's progressed.

This is entitled, "Redneck Bird Feeder." It stars a Juniper Titmouse named Peanut and yours truly.

Mallyboppa and Tyrsonswood like this.
  14. Time Out of Mind

Time Out of Mind Members

No worries TwoDogs. They will get done when they get done. Quality work is never rushed!

15. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

That is a nice thread 21 years living in a dodge van ...haha found myself on page one
    Memories

16. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

Ohh wow I thought I posted this in a different thread that was writing about this thread

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  17. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Hey, speaking of 70's Mopar with 16.5" tires, can anyone suggest a good donor vehicle with 16"s & matching bolt pattern I could grab dually rims off of for a 78' Jamboree?