homophobia in dancehall

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by pichi, Mar 6, 2008.

1. pichi

pichi Member

i was jus wondering how people who listen to dancehall and reggae artists feel about the seriously homophobic lyrics??
    i personally love almost all reggae and dancehall, sizzla is my all time favourite artist, and as far as i'm concerned the darker the tune the better... but i dont agree with the homophobic lyrics evn tho tunes like nah apolagize are amoungst my fave...obviously that sounds wrong..that i can like a tune but disagree with it, but im sure other sizzla fans are not homophobic too..??
    it a weird one... what do you think???

2. mrtampe

mrtampe Member

it's just the laws of the most high and if man goes against that they are intorulbr

3. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

i love dancehall, but i'm not homophobic. just don't give a fuck either way.

4. mrchips

mrchips Member

Remember these artists come from a culture and country where homosexuality is ILLEGAL...so in their eyes they are completely justified singing about a illegal activity they do not support. Although i don't agree with their homophobia, i can objectively see where it is borne from.

5. DonBK

DonBK Member

While homosexuality is mentioned in biblical text, where has it ever said anything about Jah hating?

One Love!

6. Royaltramp

Royaltramp Member

A Rastafarian does not judge one for their sexuality, but homosexuality is yet another evolution caused by Babylon, and so it is not accepted in Rastafarian society except by a small few. It's unavoidable in today's society, and it is most definitely not a bad thing, but it is something that was not on this earth to begin with and so some may argue it is not natural.

Jah guide :)

7. DonBK

DonBK Member

To be more specific, no Rasta accepts homosexuality as being in context to Creation

One Love!

8. Revolver1966

Revolver1966 Member

I don't think it's fair to say that no rasta does, as you cannot speak for every person who is a rastafari. its the same deal with christianity, some chirstians are completely against it, while some are for it. It seems that younger generations are more tolerant as they have been raised in times where it is much more tolerated than past years. Doesn't this problem where homosexuas are not being treated equally strike a chord with those of a negro backround as they have been through the same thing. If anything I would think they would be more accepting and tolerant of it, as they can relate to the strive for equality for all people.

9. DonBK

DonBK Member

Ahoy Rev66 … In all fairness, if you think that there is an actual Rasta that views homosexuality as being in context to Creation, well, then your knowledge of Rasta is very limited.

I disagree completely, Christians manipulate biblical scriptures to be compatible with and to validate their own opinions.

What you are referring to is the continuous expanding indoctrination of the world's societies by Babylon.

The Biblical Scriptures are pretty clear about homosexuality being out of context to Creation. The issue regarding homosexuality is not one of political correctness, it is about Biblical correctness. To try to put racial prejudice and genocide into the same category as homosexual discrimination may be a political claim, but the same comparison has no validity in the Biblical sense.

One Love!

10. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

If Babylon teaches that homosexuality is acceptable while Rastas do not, then I'm supporting Babylon. I just lost a lot of respect for Rastas.

11. Brigante

Brigante Member

I have a son who is gay an for a time i was at war with Rasta beliefs an the Bible for saying that my son is already dead for his sin.
    I had a long discussion on a certain Rasta forum about some animals being naturaly gay an the derogatory term "Batty Bwoy" being prejudice an was no better than the 'N' word.

Anyway after a heated discussion with most of the Rasta forum against what i was saying an their explanation that Homosexuality was an abomination to my sons ancestors an the end of the family lineage as it stops at my sons decission to become gay an not carry on the family line through breeding?.... WTF,yeah! i know, the argument for that is full of holes IMHO, thats where the religion falls down for me in its rigid an unflexible stance.

I have come to the decision that if my son is to die(spiritualy) for his sexuality then i am right there with him an accept death too, as i cant abide with this unflexible aproach to something that is as natural as the animals that practice it too, plus being gay has the advantage of not overbreeding an perhaps is there for that reason to balance the species?
    I suspect that the real interpretation of the Bible scripture could mean that those who practice casual sex either hetero or gay are indulging in lustful self gratification which is also a sin according to scripture.

Alternatively if a couple, man an woman, man an man or woman an woman lay together in a Loving relationship instead of casual sex then is it not wrong? But thats not to say that casual sex is wrong, i mean the Bonobo's practice it all the time an dolphins enjoy sex for fun apparantly? as do many other species, but i would of thought that Jah would bless those that are bonded in love? Also the cultural conditioning of a country that has a huge AIDS epidemic must also weigh heavily in the attitude towards homosexuality?

I am still not 100% sure on all this an am in a battle within my mind as to what the scripture realy means, does God realy wanna kill my son for something that he was naturaly born to, an if so then what is the point for his existence? or have we misinterpreted what the true meaning of the scriptures realy is? If God is meant to be ALL forgiving an full of compassion how come my son is condemned to sprititual death along with all other gay men an women?

In indiginous cultures around the world gay people have been named in certain cultures as 'Two spirit people' an are regarded as healers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit
    http://bermudaradical.wordpress.com...d-sexual-variability-in-native-north-america/

12. MrLunatic

MrLunatic Member

With freedom of speech, people have the right to say what they believe, whether you agree with them or not, whether you find it offensive or not.

To control what people say, or can say, is censorship. And censorship is the death of free speech.

:juggle:

13. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I hate homophobia.I like some reggae and some aspects of Rasta culture are cool.In my part of town we have quite a lot of Rastas and I always find them peaceable.I understand why some cultures have a taboo against homosexuality,and some people have an aversion to it.But you have to live and let live.Homosexuality is part of human nature.Animals do it.The ancient Greeks did it and that was before the bible and Christianity.Maybe through dialogue and reasoning we can have a mature conversation and evolve.I'd love to hear a reggae song about gay love,for example,but the artist would probably get lynched.In today's world,for a man to love a man is a good thing.

14. Brigante

Brigante Member

Absolutely, an im not disputing that, an i have the freedom of speech to question the prejudice(imo) views that are condemning my son to spiritual death, One might say 'who am i to question' the authority of 'God' but instead of blindly accepting something that i dont understand or agree with i have to delve deeper, so im not against freedom of speach or what the scriptures say , rather i'm trying to understand the concept behind it regardless of it being right or wrong.

15. Brigante

Brigante Member

I agree, an i think its good to have a balance of men that are not all filled to the brim with testosterone an macho'ness, its good to see guys that are not afraid to embrace their feminine side, my son is a gentle lad an is a care worker who looks after the elderly an there are many gay guys who do this type of work, as i said above 'Two spirit people are considered as healers' in some indiginous cultures.

16. wabbey

wabbey Member

Homophobia is so dumb lol .

17. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Being immoral for hurt may sometimes get offended as "homophobia". We must blame who hurts and for what reason, at least reason we make the blame.:afro:

18. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

I actually stopped listening to that music because some of the songs I really liked had really hateful and small-minded lyrics. And forget the homophobia, have you gotten enough of the plain old vanilla mysogyny? These guys really love to hate women or hate to love women.