Explore Morocco

Discussion in 'Africa' started by santamaria, Jan 30, 2008.

1. santamaria

santamaria Member

Just back from a week in Marrakech (me and my wife and 2 other members of our familly ), although three days were taken up with a trip to Merzouga and the desert. We stayed at Hotel Ali and found it cheap and cheerful with a brilliant location. No need for taxis to get to the Djeema and the Souks, just stroll out the door and there you are. We’ve posted a separate review of Ali for anyone considering staying there.
    We arrived in the morning off the Ryanair flight, We exchanged our money into Dirhams at the bank .
    I was ready for the inevitable culture shock but after 24 hours managed to feel familiar enough to do some serious exploration of the souks. Decided to follow advice not to buy on the first day so just spent the morning getting totally lost as I wandered around. Amazingly, you get quite familiar with the layout if you just keep exploring, every now and again coming into the same little market from a different direction and gradually building up a mental map like a rat in a maze!
    , the temperature was pretty high so a siesta was definitely in order most days.
    In the evening, after a hearty dinner on the roof terrace at Ali, I wandered round the Djeema taking in the variety of acts. I sat down for half an hour with one group of drummers and enjoyed listening and watching them work the crowd.
    After reading other reports here, I booked to go to the desert with Bari, Three days and two nights with one sleeping in the desert. The guide Bari and his friend Moha ( driver of 4x4) (- ask him he’ll explain ) was brilliant. Helpful in every way and explained all about places as we went along from Marrakech to Erg chebbi /Merzougan to exemplify in Ouarzazate ' Ait benhadou ' goerge todra and bouleman , Skoura ... and happy to tell you about anything you asked. The night in the desert was everything I hoped it would be, stars , silence, camels etc. although riding a camel proved to be rather more uncomfortable than I expected!
    Others had said it could be chilly at night, this proved to wrong when I went, though it was the middle of July. I was able to sleep comfortably in the open without any bedding or clothes.
    A truly wonderful experience. Back to Marrakech over the mountains for another couple of days of madness and music.
    I felt totally safe in Marrakech, even when I was hopelessly lost. People are friendly and helpful.
    We really thank you so much Bari for your trip in Morocco , i suggest for anyone who would like to travel to Morocco to contact Bari .
    <edit>
    Cheers

2. shinyhope

shinyhope Member

iam so glad u had nnice time in morrocco santa maria

but iam sorry that lot of western people imagine arabs as bloody

3. Cairo

Cairo Member

Morocco is one of the most amazing places on earth! You found the camels uncomortable, i have always found them quite comfortable. But yes, the desert is amazing, glad you had a good time. I miss it there.

4. Elmafio

Elmafio Member

i was born in CasaBlanca
    Morroco is amazing

5. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

I liked Morocco but found the people to be rather unbearable a lot of the time. The salespeople that is, which is a majority of the people. They are relentless (won't take SEVERAL No's for an answer) and even aggressive (got some threats in Tangier) in their sales tactics sometimes!

Than when you try to go off the beaten track, the same people that you rejected money wise tell you "that area is closed, tourist area there" as they point towards the souks or Old Medina center. No, tourist area has been explored, I want some quiet!!

The trip to the desert for me was worth it for many areas. Especially to escape the "hotels, hashish, store, restaurant" stream of offers. I did more than just the one night tourist thing and did lots of camel trekking deeper into the Sahara beyond the tourist tents. I would highly recommend that. It was peaceful. But even than, I could not escape the hounding 100%, haha. One Berber boy who randomly came up to me while I was taking a small walk, pointed to me and asked if my watch was a gift for him...Ummm, no, it was a gift for me from my gfs parents! I said in French. Haha.

Morocco is great but it takes patience. I think Marrakesh was better as far as hassles, not to bad in other words. Chefchouen was surprisingly okay as well as Fes. But this is where a lot of my frustration for Morocco comes in, Tangier is AWFUL!! Ugh, people there are terrible!!

6. kader1210

kader1210 Guest

helloooooooooooo morocco ^^

7. alfojr

alfojr Guest

Hi,
    how do I connect to Bari or have more info about the trip I'm planning to morocco this summer?? I would like to rent an RV or something else, do you know something??

8. ungovern

ungovern Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfR_HWMzgyc"]Kashmir - Led Zeppelin - YouTube
    Any place that can inspire a song like this must be worth a visit.

9. majdi33

majdi33 Guest

Morocco is with no doubt one of the most beautiful countries in the world. The best things I like in Morocco is the desert sand dunes, camel trekking, the Kasbah around Ouarzazate, berber vilages and imperial cities.

10. hixos1

hixos1 Guest

if you want a good place just go to morocco

i don't know if you visited rabat , its my city