which one?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Fractual_, May 16, 2004.

1. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

is more important?

the intention of your act, or the way it is taken/results?

2. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

The intention for me.The results are secondary.Though i would love that to be looked at in a good way but my first thoughts should be on the intention.Say like cleaning up trash in the parks.The intention of cleaning is my first thought and intention.The outcome should be last.Just my view.

3. know1nozme

know1nozme High Plains Drifter

I agree with pritam. You cannot truly predict the way that others will interperet your actions. Ultimately, it is yourself whom you must satisfy. As for whether or not your actions had the results you intended... that is what the learning process is all about.

4. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

That's a tricky one.

I think it is our intentions that define our karmas for the most part, however as the old saying goes "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I think that it is pretty equal.

Blessings

Sebbi

5. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

The result.

A) Intentions can never really be proved
    B) It's all well and good having intentions but you have to act on them or they are completely pointless.

Taken from a non religious perspective. I do sort of believe in karma, but only in the sense your actions will come back to haunt you (e.g America sold weapons to Iraq and now they are being attacked with said weapons)

TTFN

Sage

6. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

Neither, or both.

I might intend to save someone and kill them instead. So, intention is not enough here.

Or, I might intend to kill someone and save them accidentally. I wouldn't deserve to be praised. Intention counts here.

As I said before, it's either both or neither.

7. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i think intention is more important.

it is tricky, many times i have had bad intentions and ended up resulting in good things.

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Member

Intentions are irrelevant. Results are the only thing that are quantifiable, therefore, are the only things of importance.

9. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

often results are blown out of proportion though...
    and turn the persons intent into something it totally wasnt.. where it then becomes a word game.

it depends who your dealing with though, some people look what people mean what they say, and some people immediatley feel a certain way when they hear something and go with that.

10. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Are you then saying that, for example that someone goes out to shoot and kill someone, misses and in some obscure way that will probably only work in a film but still works hypothetically, saves a hospital or an orphanage or something. Would they still deserve praise, because of their life saving actions.

Blessings

Sebbi

11. sky_pink

So a person wants to cause others harm, but unintentionally saves them instead... this person would deserve praise, while another failed while trying to help another?

12. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

intent is more real i think.

it is what you MEANT to do... it determines ultimatley, if you were trying to do good, or bad, or if you are being a good person or a bad one.

13. sky_pink

Yes, but you can do a lot of bad with the best of intentions. Every year, children die or are harmed just because their parents don't notice something, or don't stop to think. You think their intentions excuse them?

14. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

both must be looked at differently. If you kill someone with good intentions does that make it good? On the other hand, if you mean to do something bad but the results end up good, does that make everything fine?

You must take into consideration that we has humans are capable of making decisions where the intentions are good and the outcome is equally good. The use of both is more effective than just one.

In other words, you must look at both parts of a situation not just one.

May you be granted Good Luck on your journey of life. :)

-Peace

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Member

I was unaware we were talking about praise.

16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Member

How do we become aware of "intentions"? Usually by the results. If not by the results, then by statements by the agent about their intent. In either scenario, intentions are secondary to either results or statements about intentions; they are never primary and, therefore, are less important.

17. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

one has to wonder if the parents had such a lack of awareness, did they really have good intentions???

sure you can do some bad with good intentions, but if you are aware and play the game right, it is rare it will turn out that way.

How do we become aware of "intentions"? Usually by the results. If not by the results, then by statements by the agent about their intent. In either scenario, intentions are secondary to either results or statements about intentions; they are never primary and, therefore, are less important.

we become aware of intentions by being honest with our brothers and sisters! thats how!

18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Member

Then we are in agreement.

19. sky_pink

We were, kind of. The whole point of the conversation was to decide whether one is to be judged by their intentions or actions and results. Indirectly, this implies praise and, I don't know, punishment. In a very crude form, of course, but I assume everyone understands the point.

20. sky_pink

By the way, I think we need to talk about intentions as if it was possible to know them perfectly. This is a theoretical discussion, after all.