Led Zep or Sabbath?

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by gingerness, Jan 13, 2008.

1. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

King Crimson (Schizoid Man) were arguably Metal before Sabbath. Mountain, The Sonics, if not they came damn close, shit, Helter Skelter could be Metal. Blue Cheer definetaly.

2. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

I really do know everything though :).

3. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

Unless that was a joke your wrong.

There wouldnt be 95 percent of the music today if it wasn't for those bands

4. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

From what you've said you actually know nothing....

Less than nothing actually. More like -5 out of 10 if it was a ranking on how much you know.

5. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

Uh, not true. Metal was already around, even in the mainstream, and even if there wasn't, teenagers would have emulated another style.

6. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

But they didnt.

And dont go telling me about all of the other bands that were there before Sabbath, other bands took Sabbath's style for a reason. it was influential at the time and still is today.

7. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

Sabbath didn't invent Metal...Get over it. I'm not denying that they've influenced a fair number of bands, but the stat you gave was ridiculous, and most Metal bands didn't draw their inspiration from Sabbath.

8. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

When did I say the created Metal? Thats what I'd like to know.

And when you stop putting words in my mouth, I'll have a real discusion with you.

(and yes I realize that the words are coming from my fingers not my mouth)

9. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

Sorry, multiple arguments. They account for 95% of music today? What about Jazz? Hip Hop? Folk? Britney Spears? They might account for a fair percentage of bands in the Metal/Hard Rock genre, but 95% of music today? Come on. Anway, I never said anything about those bands influence. So this is sort of pointless.

10. 46AND2JUSTAHEADOFME

46AND2JUSTAHEADOFME Member

zeppelin and sabbath are both truely great bands, but Im gonna have to give it to the ozzman for he is king.

11. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

Well I obviously meant in the rock genre. What are you an idiot?

Because if you seriously thought I meant they influenced rap artists then your obviously an idiot....

Well actually, I remember there was a rapper who rapped over crazy train (not sabbath but still ozzy) and Kid Rock rapped over Metallica's Sad But True.

So as you see Sabbath Influenced Metallica who influnced Kid Rock.

12. naturalbornthrilla

naturalbornthrilla Member

The bands are too different to compare really... but from a musicians standpoint Zepplin is probably at the top...

Deep Purple tends to be underrated or forgotten by the mainstream and Sabbath gets credit for Heavy Metal so... it all depends on what you like.

13. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

Ok, even in the rock genre. 20% is pushing it.

14. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

No it isn't man. They influenced bands, and those bands influenced other bands, and then those bands influenced other bands, and that cycle keeps repeating.

So if you take Sabbath out. Wich would mean the new wave of british heavy metal (a mix of the riffs of Sabbath with the speed and attitude of the ramones or sex pistols) would never have happened.

Then 80's glam metal never would have happened because they never would have seen the flair and style of Rob Halford Or Bruce Dickinson.

Wich would eliminate The big four (Metallica Slayer Anthrax and Megadeth).

Then Nu Metal wouldn't have happened taking out such bands as System of a Down, Lamb of God and Slipknot.

Now I know those are mainstream bands, but I'm just trying to give people who dont know as much as you and I might about this an idea of how Sabbath spawned a new breed of music.

15. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

If every Metal band was influenced by them it still wouldn't be 20%...

16. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

your right..... it would be %100.

im not talking about everykind of music. Why the hell would I compare Sabbath to 50 cent?

17. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

Here let me spell it out for you: The 3 bands mentioned have not influenced 20%, or even close, of rock music.

18. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

I dont mean little garage bands that won't ever get famous. I'm talking about bands that the average person would understand.

Damn I wish I wasn't this foolish when I was your age last year.

19. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

I'm 13 actually. Anyhoo, that's hardly clear in your post, and yes, I stand by what I said. Metal and other bands influenced by the three bands don't make up 20% of the rock genre, mainstream or otherwise.

20. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

Then your a pusslybitchasmotherfuckingcuntnslutwhoreshit