Led Zep or Sabbath?

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by gingerness, Jan 13, 2008.

1. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

are you into seventies rock at all? or, now i see your name, do you regard them as overrated because you are more into seventies prog? which actually is a totally different genre that was not as influental on heavy metal as hard rock was.

BTW i like sabbath the most because they sound the filthiest to me

2. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

I like plenty of 70's rock. I think they're overrated because they're really just not that good. They all have annoying vocalists, more concerned than they need to be with virtuosity guitarists, horrible lyricists, and finally they're all overtly commercial bands marketed at testosterone-high teenagers.

3. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

None of those bands pretended to be metal.

Pretty much a stupid post overall.

4. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

Psuedo doesn't mean they pretended to be Metal. It means the same thing as proto or faux.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Pseudo does not have the same meaning as proto. So how can they be fake metal if it was around before metal? Perhaps metalbands are all pseudo-Sabbath, Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin then. :tongue:

6. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

Not exactly. But close enough. Anyway, there are quite few Metal bands around before Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple.

7. Asmodean

Depends on what you call metal. I sometimes let the line between hard rock and early heavy metal be as vague as it is. That's because a lot of the early bands that are by some considered to be metal have a really groovy rock vibe to it (like the three in this topic), so I can't really see those as metal. Proto-metal is a fitting definition to them though. But it isn't such a big deal as some people make of it ;)

8. dthpod9

dthpod9 Member

black sabbath i love sabbath but led zepplins good 2

9. trapjaw

trapjaw Member

Um, some examples? sorry dude, I don't think you actually know what you're talking about.

Nobody before had done anything like what Black Sabbath did when they released their first album. Whatever musical label you want to attach to it (proto metal, heavy metal, whatever, who cares), it was groundbreaking, revolutionary music which steered rock in an entirely new direction.

In fact I'm gonna go listen to some 'Sabbath right now. [​IMG]

10. Asmodean

Well, Blue Cheer came close. And Cream and Bakerloo. Jimi Hendrix could be pretty heavy live as well.

11. gingerness

gingerness Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Personally id say Sabbath were the first metal band, Iommis guitar style was then copied by generations to come. I wouldnt even say Zep and Purple were metal anyway, more blues rock or plain old heavy rock.

Oh and proggyman i remember thinking i knew everything about music when i was 14, youll learn. Im still learning every day, only last week i discovered Uriah Heep, how have this band avoided me for so long?!

12. xrikuxthexendx

xrikuxthexendx Member

Sabbath all the way. Zep owns, especially with Jimmy's solos and playing, but Sabbath takes it to the top. This is the "Heavy Metal" section. Zep is not HEAVY metal.

13. schraubattack

schraubattack Member

Major Doucheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

14. xrikuxthexendx

xrikuxthexendx Member

Seriously, he is a Major Dooooooooouuuccchhheee-a-holic!

15. schraubattack

schraubattack Member

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Dawg

16. xrikuxthexendx

xrikuxthexendx Member

I play a mean bass.

17. schraubattack

schraubattack Member

Me play mean drum

18. xrikuxthexendx

xrikuxthexendx Member

Toco muy buen guitarra.

19. schraubattack

schraubattack Member

Mamma Jammas

20. xrikuxthexendx

xrikuxthexendx Member

Let's break it down with some bad mamma jammas. Mamma Jammas® is a copyrighted trademark of Point Blank Inc. and may not be used without awesomeness...ness. Tots of the Montar, waddup kidz?¿¡