Led Zep or Sabbath?

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by gingerness, Jan 13, 2008.

1. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I don't really care about deep purple. I like the organ solo on Highway Star and Smoke on the water has a good riff, just a shame about the rest of the song. Beyond that I don't know their work.

Sabbath essentially invented Heavy Metal just with the first three chords on their first album. I know there's great monsterfuzz and other proto-metal, but nothing from before that track sounds as complete, as fully-formed in its metalness as that opener. So they get mad props for that.

Led Zep just have it musically, I think. What Bonham was doing on that drumkit just wasn't happening elsewhere in rock music. He was bringing in this jazz, funk and soul stuff and giving everything so much texture, throwing in triplets and following the guitar through the solos instead of locking in with the bass. Same can be said of JPJ, Page and Plant get all the glory but that rythmn section were the true innovators.

But I saw Sabbath live and they kicked it, so I'll go with them :D

2. Eric_J_76

Eric_J_76 Members

That is a difficult question to answer. Mostly because people's opinions are going to vary vastly. While I do have several Zeppelin records I would have to give the edge to Sabbath. There certainly isn't anything wrong with Deep Purple. Regarding Deep Purple I have been enjoying the song "Space Truckin'". (Smoke...Water, Highway Star, etc are all good songs in their own right).

3. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

What do you like best Apples or oranges ?

4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

All of my Love for:-

[​IMG]

5. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

6. JRGB17

JRGB17 Members

Black Sabbath. I do like a few Zeppelin songs though.