ron paul

Discussion in 'Activist Polls' started by ohmygod, Dec 10, 2007.

1. ohmygod

ohmygod Member

whos voting for him

me

thats

2. myCHAINisGUCCI

myCHAINisGUCCI Member

3. tommyb

tommyb Member

I have some problems with Paul. While his stance towards drugs is enlightened - this stance on personal responsibility for one's body does not seem to extend to a women's right to choose. He also plays into the myth that the free market can fix healthcare. He is decidedly anti-corporate, but he's too hands-off government for me. He seems like a cool guy though, and he does want to pull out of Iraq (always has). I like him the most of all the republicans, but I think I would vote for Obama before I vote for Paul - if I vote at all. It's becoming increasingly useless.

4. XBloodyNailPolishX

XBloodyNailPolishX Forgetful Philosopher

Even though I don't like that he's not pro-choice, i'm voting for him because of his overall views.

5. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

[​IMG]

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/2007/11/libertarians_against_ron_paul/

Ron Paul is a poor choice.

With Libertarianism our economy and those of others would collapse under the rape of big corporations. Environmental disaster and exploitation of workers would be inevitable.If you are really down with the pro choice, then you'd look at Dennis Kucinich as a candidate with a real platform.

6. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

Of all the turds in the toliet bowl, Ron Paul floats the highest with me. Mainly for his anti-Israeli stance and their involvement in our foreign policies.

x

7. tommyb

tommyb Member

His argument for lasse-faire economics would follow an elimination of corporate welfare and of the government pandering to special interest groups. Besides the obvious fallacy that he, as president, would actually be able to accomplish these lofty goals; I find it hard to believe that this alone would help redistribute wealth (which needs to happen). Without a minimum wage, no matter how untaxed one's earning power is, there is no way to stop exploitation by private individuals. Though I understand his perspective, and in a perfect world, we may be able to live without any government whatsoever. He's gota be my favorite republican. He's dead right about our foreign policy. It was amusing watching him try to explain the concept blowback at a recent republican debate, and all the other republicans implying he was saying that America caused 9/11. What a joke. When America takes actions, like backing dictators and putting military bases on holy land, of course people are going to take offense. Religion remains to be the one thing you shouldn't talk about at family gatherings, people just get pissed.

8. underground04

underground04 Member

what pro and anti paul people forget is congress. congress wouldn't let all the funcions of the federal government be snuffed out overnight. but i think we would end up out of other countries and not having corporate welfare. not to mention that there would be no national id or patriot act. one last thing, even if you arent voting for him, register as an independent if you have open primaries and vote for him, just to take votes away from the other fascists who are running for the republicans.

9. gillphish02

gillphish02 Member

I am totally excited about Ron Paul but even if you don't agree with all of his positions he is definatly the only one who will take a step in the right direction.

10. Charise

Charise Naked to the Cosmos

Paul's getting my vote. Of course I don't agree with him about everything-nobody's perfect. And even most of the things you don't agree with, as an above poster said, can't be changed without the approval of Congress, which isn't going to go along with most things he's in favor of anyway. Paul is honest, not part of the Establishment, and anti-war, just to mention a few good qualities he has.

And I just don't understand why so many people get so worked up over a candidate's stand on abortion. I'm against abortion, but regardless, there's nothing anyone can do about that issue anyway until the Supreme Court changes its rulings on the subject. Most Republicans are saying they're against abortion just to get votes-I think Paul is sincere about his stance (as he is about everything else, which is what makes him such a great candidate). As an obstetrician that's delivered thousands of babies, I can certainly understand how he feels the way he does.

And what's so terrible about laws that aren't permitted in the Constitution to be thrown out the window? If we went back to a few basic laws, instead of being strangled to death by the zillions of laws that we have today, what would be wrong with that? The government wouldn't be regulating every move we make-wow, that's terrible. That would take a little gettting used to.

11. XBloodyNailPolishX

XBloodyNailPolishX Forgetful Philosopher

I have to admit, I don't totally dislike Ron Paul - he is a pretty good guy, and if I had to sacrifice my right to an abortion for marijuanna to be completely decriminalized and perhaps legalized, I'd totally do it.

12. sarathustra

sarathustra Member

I don't like the idea of having to sacrifice anything, i want both abortions and weed. And i'm completely jaded with all presidential candidates of both parties. But i do think, Ron Paul is the best chance we have. I keep watching the government take away our freedoms and i think he's the least terrifying of all the candidates!

13. veroness

veroness There's only one :)

everday i seem to hear his name more and more which is a good thing. people are now starting to notice him. hes raised the most amount of money right now and doesnt accept soft money which is very honest. he seems like a vote not wasted. PA sucks cuz were closed ballot and i put down democrat so i have to change me voters reg to republican. :(

14. gillphish02

gillphish02 Member

Well you should hurry and change veroness. Most states you can go with Independent and not have to worry about it in the future. If you want the option of having abortions don't worry about Ron Paul taking it away. He feels this issue belongs in the hands of states. We must take a step in the right direction though, before our country gets too far off track.

15. Charise

When Ron Paul says that decisions belong in the hands of the staes he's right-in other words, bring back democracy, and end the federal government's dictatorship over the whole blasted country, especially 9 unelected members of the Supreme Court telling us what kind of laws the Congress and legislatures can pass (the Constitution nor any law ever gave the Supreme Court that right.)

The thing that really upsets me is that with all the common people that obviously support Ron Paul, the polls today showed that he was expected to come in in NINTH place in the Iowa Caucus-which doesn't surprise me at all. If he is ever going to have a chance to win, he needs to run as an INDEPENDENT (which is what he really is anyway!)-and put all his energies into winning that way! He honestly doesn't stand a chance in the Republican primaries-mainstream Republicans just ignore him, and keep voting for the people that are spouting the same old stale rhetoric. He ran as a Libertarian once-why can't he just jump the Republican ship now before it's too late, and really throw everything into a good Independent campaign?

Even Al Jazeera wrote a nice article about how much support he has on the internet right now- http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/EA3DD8A0-0DCD-4A69-9791-0DEFA7384AC8.htm -if he can have so much support among common folks, he could really get somewhere if his energies were directed the right way.

16. gillphish02

gillphish02 Member

I think his best chance is in the Rep party. People don't even think about voting ind. I have every year I have voted but most people think they are wasting there vote so they will vote for the lesser of two evils and perpetuate the problem with our system. I think he has a great shot at the Rep nomination, he really isn't saying anything different the Bush did in 2000 B4 he was brainwashed by the neo-cons. But thats another story. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by his finish tomorrow in Iowa and he has a great chance to win in NH. The revolution is gaining momentum! Don't pay attention to those polls the Mainstream media hype, they are flawed in many ways. 1. Most Ron Paul supporters are young and use a Cell phone primarily rather than land lines. 2. The people polled must have voted in primary last time when bush was clearly going to get the re-nom.

17. Charise

Well, you make good points about the polling process, and I hope you're right about his chances, but I still think he should have started out as an independent. I don't think Bush ever thought the way Ron Paul does. Some of the Repubs have spouted some rhetoric similar to Paul's, but Paul has always consistently voted and followed up on what he said-the other Repukeacrats never did.

18. Caspare007

Caspare007 Member

Didn't make a strong impression on Meet the Press, especially trying to explain why he puts in earmarks in bills for his district and then votes against them. I mean it takes a lot to get Tim Russert to laugh....

I'm also not a strong supporter of replacing the income tax with a 30% sales tax so that Bill Gates and I pay the same rate.

19. Charise

Yea, that's like the VAT tax that some European countries have. Well, don't worry, the income tax ain't going anywhere-I don't think that Congress would ever agree to it, and it might even take a Constitutional amendment. I'd like to see the income tax ended, but I'm not sure that's the solution. Anyway, it ain't gonna happen regardless, so there's no reason to fret over it.

20. GoBeatles520

GoBeatles520 Member

i dont like Ron Paul. i agree with some of his views but not most. I dont like republicans but i guess he's the best