How do I explain race to my youngest?

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by aloneinabigbadworld, Nov 3, 2007.

1. aloneinabigbadworld

aloneinabigbadworld Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

In England (which is where I'm from originally), most ethnic minorities are based in the cities, so it was rare to meet them in the countryside, which is where I lived with my family lived most of their lives. The result of this is that while we brought our kids up to view the races as equals, it wasn't much more than an academic issue. In their last school in England, for example, only one of the of 1000 students at the school was black.

My youngest child has just started school and goes to a school that has a much larger African-American population. As I was walking home with her on Friday, she asked, out of nowhere, why her two best friends were black. I explained that just like we'd come from England so I could work, their Grandparents Grandparents Grandparents had probably come from Africa to work on farms in the area hundreds of years ago.

She bought this idea, but to me it sounds a little lame if I'm honest. Does anyone have a better explanation?

2. chuckf2000

chuckf2000 Member

Explain to her babylon? Maybe not.

You could explain that people are different all over the world and America is a great melting pot (I think we're using 'salad bowl' now) because it is made up of all races.

The races are different because in their particular part of the world, they developed different traits than others in other parts of the world. These traits were handed down from generation to generation until we see what we have now.

Kinda lame too huh? Oh well, good luck dude.

3. 3littlebirds

3littlebirds Member

Personally...I think "coming from africa to work on farms" doesn't sound right. It's a little too vague. I would tell her the truth, about slavery. I don't see how the truth of history could hurt her.

4. chuckf2000

chuckf2000 Member

I don't think it's necessary to go too far into the why they are here. She only asked why her friends a black. She didn't ask how did they get here.

Although I surely am not against telling her the truth. I would be careful that it doesn't send her into overload.

Maybe all she needs to know right now is that apart from skin, eyes and hair color, their are not differences between them you her.

5. Allonym

Allonym cheesecake slut

they have different ancestors who had differently pigmented skin to deal with the light better. thats all.

6. DirtyVibe

DirtyVibe Member

Tell her the truth. They're made out of chocolate.

7. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

LMAO again. I try not to like him but I just keep laughing.

8. Confucius lol

Confucius lol Member

lmfao! no, Mexicans are chocolate, black ppl are dark chocolate. xD

9. Sunshine Designs

Sunshine Designs Member

Put it in a form she can understand. Maybe compare it to different types of dogs. All dogs are the same on the inside, but have different color fur. Maybe that will help her understand without putting any negative thoughts like blacks are the same.

Hope it works out for you.

Sarah

10. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

LIke Elmo & Woopie. Hey but the only race is the Human Race.

11. chuckf2000

chuckf2000 Member

Awesome. That just about tells it on her level.

12. trucknorris

trucknorris Banned

Well, you say, look here, NASCAR is circle and oval track racing and NHRA is drag racing! BAHA is desert and INDY is open wheel Grand Prix style! That should do it!

13. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Ask to listen to ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhAzslxnqOo
    and then ask her what she thinks it means - You may find that she knows more than you realise