Tips for New Instructors

Discussion in 'Free School' started by skip, Oct 17, 2007.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Thanks for volunteering to teach a class at the Free School.

Once a class has at least three students signed up, it can be started, at the instructor's request (you can wait for more signups if you choose).

Are you ready to teach your class? First, you need to come up with a syllabus which you can post in your first thread. Let me know when you are ready and I'll create the forum.

There are few rules regarding the Free School, but anything that encourages interaction and feedback is welcomed.

You can explore new ways of imparting knowledge.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom! :)

NOTICE: All those who have signed up to teach classes must contact me for the class to start. If you don't contact me via PM, your class won't ever start!

2. indiehippyboy

indiehippyboy Member

I am ready with my syllabus. Please create a forum for me. Besides, I cannot use and read my private message section. Why? Please do something. Thank you.

3. skip

Please post your syllabus here. You are still a guest and thus are not allowed to PM until you reach member status. I suggest you also achieve member status before you teach your class. We have nothing else to go on regarding who you are or your qualifications to teach a class. Hopefully you've included that in your syllabus.

Thanks. :)

4. indiehippyboy

indiehippyboy Member

Hi thank you for the reply. Please tell me the step by step procedure to get the member status. Anyway, I want to introduce myself in my first class. I am from Calcutta,India. I am a boy of age 22 and a BS student of Calcutta University.
    My syllabus is now not very long. I shall post it to the students gradually. I want to teach the way of meditation acording to the way of Swami Vivekanada.The students may visit some websites like www.belurmath.org, www.sriramakrishna.org,www.udbodhan.org. Firstly, I'll teach them the methods of Pranayama and how to make the mind relaxed and how to make the mind and body pure. Please reply me soon.

5. skip

This would be a VERY cool class! I've studied the teachings of Vivekanada and Ramakrishna. I even got to stay briefly at a Ramakrishna center in India when I was there! :)

I would take this class myself! (if i can find the time...)

I would like to see the syllabus first because you need to post that up for new students. If you don't have it all together, then you'll need to post up an introduction to the teachings so people know what they're getting into.

By posting up a syllabus, it helps you keep the class & yourself organized, and aware of how much more there is to be taught. Otherwise students might leave early thinking they've seen everything.

Please think out your class and each lesson. That is the responsibility of the instructor, and it indicates your committment to teach those things.

Let me know when you are ready and there are sufficient students signed up. :)

Good luck with the class!

6. indiehippyboy

indiehippyboy Member

I am very sorry because I could not contact you for a long time. You are welcome in my class. My syllabus for the first month is ready here--
    1. The explanations of some selected Sholka of ShrimadBhagbadGita.
    2.Secrets of Concentration
    3.Life after death(If students are interested)
    Please let me know how can I start the class. Thank you.

7. indiehippyboy

indiehippyboy Member

Please publish this request of mine to my students. They should not leave the class unless the total syllabus is covered. They can ask me questions from here or by sending the e-mails to me.My e-mail address is pratul_bd@yahoo.com
    Thank you

8. indiehippyboy

indiehippyboy Member

How can I make my status Member?

9. indiehippyboy

indiehippyboy Member

This is the next topic of my class
    4.Will power
    5.Brief biography of Swami Vivekananda,Shri Ramakrishna and Shri Maa Sarada Sevi
    6.Briefly about Rajayoga
    Please rply me soon

10. skip

NOTICE: All those who have signed up to teach classes must contact me for the class to start. If you don't contact me via PM, your class won't ever start!

11. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

I can guess at some comments this may get, but if instructors would include a lesson number in the title of the posts, it would make it much easier when people are joining after a class has been running. With the various sorting options, including last reply, they can get confusing...

Just a thought....

12. skip

Good idea Tom! Some ppl have done that, but not all.

I'll be upgrading the Free School in the near future, so all suggestions are welcome! :)

13. eva6206213

eva6206213 Member

thank you for your sharing~

14. eva6206213

eva6206213 Member