Instructor Signups

Discussion in 'Free School' started by skip, Sep 20, 2007.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Good questions, some of which have already been answered in previous posts/threads.

There is NO TIME FRAME for classes. It's up to each instructor to decide when the class is over.

There are NO GRADES. So there is also NO STRESS. Students learn as much as they want, participate whenever they choose, going at their own pace.

As stated before, there are no certifications issued. This is knowledge and experience being shared, not graded, not certified, only transferrable from one human to another.

I'm really pushing the boundaries of the Free School concept, FREEING it from traditional teaching methods, competition, goals and rewards.

This is a non-competitive, cooperative educational environment.

I am for multiple instructors if they are willing to agree to a syllabus and course structure.

Instructors are free to play with the existing setup of the classes, exploring new ways of interaction if they choose.

So some might choose a more traditional approach of teacher and students, others can try a seminar approach, or invent something new!

Innovation is something desperately needed by our educational institutions. The Internet provides a resource better than any library or school. So we aren't going to limit ourselves by designing this school like traditional brick and mortar schools.

The only way I would consider "ranking" students is by the # of postings they have made in the school. So someone with say 100 posts would gain some new title, just like in the forums themselves. Like second level student.

The only reason for doing that is to indicate to other students and teachers that this person has been active in the School and is more knowledgeable about how it works than a newbie would. This would perhaps give their words a bit more weight than a newbies. Other than that, I don't see the advantage, because I don't acknowledge "levels" of education in the traditional sense.

Indeed if a teenager was very active in the school with lots of posts, should that person be viewed with more respect than a newbie who is 60 yrs old with tons of experience, maybe even a graduate degree?

So it's not good to judge ppl based on participation. However it IS good to encourage participation with some kind of reward for more posting as opposed to just "auditing" a class.

2. skip

As far as Peace Practices goes, I'm not sure what you mean by that, but I have been considering a course in Ahimsa, or non-violent Passive Resistance, based upon the teachings of Eastern religions, Gandhi & Martin Luther King Jr.

3. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

soo how do we start a class then?

4. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

Skip, I didn't see that stuff earlier-I just found it.

With Peace Practices, I mean just what you said. Along with Acts of Kindness-and mix in some psychology practices (i.e. creating logs/journals of ways you've contributed to making someone's day and they're reactions to your kindness).

Creating a different type of class is a good idea. I was going through the Iridology board and thought that was a really neat layout. There is no NEED to sign up, if you'd like to just browse. So our classes will just basically be broadening horizons in certain areas in a nontraditional sense. I like it!

I think people from this forum offer a lot to teach and learn. This is such an amazing idea!

5. skip

I'll write up something in another thread, as I'm still working on more info for instructors.

I'm going to start with only 2-3 classes at first to see how they fare, and what other features they might need.

I'm planning on creating a whole new module for the school, so I don't want us to get too attached to the current setup with many classes already using it if it is to be replaced or upgraded soon.

But every instructor needs to setup a syllabus describing their class and their experience/education/knowledge relevant to the subject they want to teach. Include any requirements or restrictions for the students.

I may elaborate some guidelines for all instructors, but I'm giving everything a lot of thought first so we don't put in place guidelines that limit us unnecessarily.

But for those who've never taught a class before, we should introduce some concepts that are traditional, and some that are not.

For example, instructors should be assigning tasks to students. It's not just about telling them facts that should be memorized. It's about pointing them in the right direction to find the facts themselves. Student research is a big part of the learning process.

We want interactivity not just with the instructor, but with the other students, and the greater community, virtual and real. So any exercises or assignments that require they do research, go out in the community and report back what they find are preferred if not essential to the Free School experience.

The Free School is open to new concepts in learning, or alternative ones that have been tried and succeeded.

So besides the content of a class, instructors need to decide upon the method of instruction for that class. All this should be spelled out in the intro to the class (the first post the instructor makes). This way students can decide if that's suitable to them.

6. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

Okay, wonderful. I'm ready to teach about sewing and crafts whenever you're ready. So I'll keep and eye out here.

7. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

Same here with creative writing. Maybe there should be a folder made for the arts and the crafts (creative minds) when the crafts class and writing class start

8. sublime94

sublime94 Banned

This all looks GREAT. Im verry interested to see how this works. Theres little I could teach, but theres plenty I can learn!

9. skip

I'm hoping by this weekend I'll have a new interface up where you can all suggest, signup and teach classes.

So those who've made suggestions here, can re-enter their suggestions and they will automatically be added to the official class list as suggested classes.

Then once enough students and an instructor have signed up, I'll create a forum for it and the class will start. Then everyone who signed up will get a PM telling them the class is starting.

It will be much easier to deal with than scrolling thru threads looking for interesting classes, then having to find all those who said they were interested and inform them that its starting.

I am setting up an "audit" status where someone can audit a class without participating. This way we get a better idea of how many ppl are actually benefiting even if they never participate.

10. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

I don't even know where to start! As I was reading through the ideas my head started spinning thinking of things I could teach. Life and higher education have given me a broad range if knowledge so narrowing it down is difficult.

Here are a few ideas I had:

Erotic Writing

Exploring Cultures Around the World

How to Research Online

Photography

My "credentials"

I wrote for a monthly publication for over 5 years that was strictly adult erotica

I am working on a dual Masters degree in psychology and anthroplogy (almost done!)

I have had pictures published in 2 books (scenic photography is my favorite)

I have a lot of life experience!!! Being a wife and mother will do that ;)

I have insomnia so I am always looking for new ways to occupy my time. :) You can get a lot done when you don't sleep ;)

11. skip

OK, the new interface is now ready. Everyone who posted up their class ideas must now enter them into the new system.

To see all the new options available please visit the Free School Homepage.

You can explore our Class List where you can signup for any you like. You can also Suggest A Class if you don't see what you're looking for! Have a look at our Student List to see who is taking which classes.

Please note: you must signup for a class before you will appear in the student list.

We welcome your feedback and suggestions for improvement. Please report any bugs to Skip.

Enjoy!

12. SariaMew456

SariaMew456 Member

I have a suggested class, if I may...

I don't know much about much, but I do read often and actively - in that I try to engage my brain when I read. So I would like to lead a class on the Appreciation/Application of Literature.

I have almost finished three years of high school, and I've been sorely disappointed by the way literature is generally taught. So instead of telling students "Read pages X to Xty by Friday, mark all the instances of this theme and write a paper by Monday", this class would be more along the lines of open discussion. There are no "wrong answers" in the discussion, students will give their own views on symbolism and theme (if either exists in the text), and they will also be encouraged to relate the book to other books, movies, TV shows, current events, or events in their everyday lives. "Assignments" will be given, not like essays, but in terms of introspection or social interaction, and bringing those experiences back to discussion, sharing what they learned and how it related to the text (or not, as the case may be). There won't be due dates, obviously, so discussions will be organized by sections or chapters. I will pick the books, whether "recognized classics" or not, but anyone who feels up to it can lead discussions for another book of their choice.

Basically the point of the class is to get people to read/appreciate books that they wouldn't have otherwise, or learn to like books that high school made them hate.

Would anybody be interested in taking a class like that?

EDIT: Was typing this for a while so I didn't see the Free School link that was posted. I'll move my ramblings there.
    EDIT EDIT: Uh... the "suggest a class" function isn't working for me. Help?

13. skip

Hi Saria, what error do you get when you suggest a class (it may be fixed now, try again)...

14. skip

No, but a summary would be nice. Enough for a student to decide whether to take it.

15. SariaMew456

SariaMew456 Member

Every time I enter my suggestion, the next page is a database error...

16. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I don't know if this is a good idea or not for a free school class, but I can teach an easy knitting course on knitting up a pair of cabled wrist warmers. Anyone who wants to learn how to knit, or who already knows but want to improve and/or learn how to knit cables, this is an easy enough project to do.

My experience: I've been knitting since I was 8, and anyone who frequents the Fashion & Crafts forum knows also that I run my own business selling knitting supplies, so I've got a good leg in it.

It's a small enough project to introduce anyone to knitting cables, and requres only 1 ball of yarn and a pair of knitting needles.

Also, it's a good project to have knit up in time to give as december-holiday gifts.

17. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

I have more than 3 ppl signed up for my class 'Basic Machine Sewing' and am ready to start! :) I have a syllabus written up

18. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

I would LOVE to teach a class on behavior modification. This can be used to change your own behaviors or the behaviors of others. I'm almost a special education teacher. I graduate this year. I plan to go to grad school for abnormal psychology.

19. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

I don't know what I want to teach....
    Can I teach makeup? Or maybe how to go from an ugly duckling to a swan.
    I love doing makeovers. I'm such a fashionista.

Oh and can we get someone to teach a spelling class cause I really need to learn to spell!

By the way, I know I'm retarded!

20. potential_trouble

potential_trouble Member

I want to teach biology.
    I'm a junior in high school, currently taking Bio II AP and making the highest grade in the class by far. So I think by teaching this class it will also help my own studies as well as that of others. I have a syllabus planned and all kinds of neat ideas...hehe