would you leave for a year to live somewhere else?

Discussion in 'Travel Polls' started by cerridwen, Aug 9, 2007.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

If given the opportunity, would you leave where you live for a whole year to spend somewhere else? And if you could, where would you go?

I have a fairly adventurous spirit, so I love the idea of being gone and experiencing another culture or way of life for a year... although I doubt my husband would! ;) But I would spend a year living in either Tibet or Iceland, I think either of those places would be just awesome.

2. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

YES!!

thought should come as no surprise coming from me, seeing as I don't usually stay in 1 spot long anyways.
    Seeing as my brother is in the military, him & his family got to live in Iceland for 3 years...unfortunately that base is now closed.
    Personally I have looked into getting a job in Asia which usually is for a year.

3. sanja_serbia

sanja_serbia Senior Member

Of course I would!...I'm actually hoping to get into some kind of student exchange program, I've heard stories from my friends who managed to go to France and Germany that way....I don't think I could move to some other country for ever, but I would like to spend a few months somewhere else......(Any country would be ok for me because anywhere you go you can learn much)

4. emsterino

emsterino Member

Yep yep!! I would do it in a heartbeat

5. Stu147

Stu147 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

When I was 19yrs old I went to live in Jakarta, Indonesia, for almost a year. And it was the best time of my life. So I would definitely do it again!

If I could choose the destination I would probably choose somewhere like the Philippines or Thailand. Or Kiev, which is my current fave destination in Europe. ;)

6. redyelruc

redyelruc The Yard Man

Why not?

I have lived somewhere else for the past 11 or so years. England(4years), Spain(1year), Italy(2), Australia(1.5) and now Thailand(1). Mixed up in here are 6 months here and 3 months there along with many other short trips.

You only live once.

7. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I can definately recommend to spend some time in other places. I travel quite a bit myself, although I do not really want to spend a year in one place. The charm of being away is the travelling itself.

I doubt you can stay in Tibet for a year though. You will need a Chinese visa for that and if you say you will stay in Tibet you certainly will not get it.
    There are many ways around that though and Tibet is definately worth a visit. Lhasa and Shigatse are wonderful cities, although there is not much to do really. Unless you like watching the pilgrims for a year. ;)

8. icclerach

icclerach Member

i am planning on going to new zealand at some point to live for a while - just saving the money now. i have just came back from travelling around australia for 6 months. Has anyone else been to new zealand? Can you recommend anywhere?

9. yarapario

yarapario Village Elder

Living elsewhere enriches life. I lived for a year in Iquitos, Peru on the bank of the Amazon River. Incredible experience, I'll do it again as soon as I can

10. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Yeah, I've got up and left a few times before actually :)

And it's weird because I'm thinking of moving to Wales for a year before uni starts.

11. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

I would love to as long as my family would be coming too, I would be willing to open a map and throw a dart and go wherever it landed.......

12. Burnt

Burnt Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Without a second thought, I'd head up to the mountains

13. Fedora

Fedora Member

I think I would enjoy living in the Highlands of Scotland or Ireland. If anyone has ever been there or lives there now you have to post some pictures for me to see to entice my dreams. Peace and Love!!!

14. aloneinabigbadworld

aloneinabigbadworld Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I moved to Texas (from the UK) with 3 kids 4 years ago, which was an experience, and from Texas to North Carolina 6 months ago (her 2 sisters are now at university).

15. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

you bet your sweet ass i would!

where would i go? how much time you got???? where wouldn't i go.....

16. chickenchoker

chickenchoker Member

I like to leave for the winter. I stayed in Costa Rica and Thailand for 6 months each. I'm not sure if I could quite do a whole year but if I was really enjoying myself it wouldn't be a problem. It just seems like after 5-6 months I'm ready to be home for a few.

17. hippy i am

hippy i am poppy seed bagels

London, for sure.

18. TrvlHip

TrvlHip Member

depends where i would love to live in New York for a year. Or even in a different country like France or Italy.

19. MaryJane69

MaryJane69 Member

yes, i would in a heartbeat if i didnt have my bf to leave behind. i still havent convinced him to shed these responsibilites and pack up and just go go go

20. MellowMike

MellowMike Member

I could easily spend years traveling from place to place if I had the means of doing so. I think I'd have the inclination to hike across the planet, given time and money.[​IMG]