Should voting be mandatory?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by yazzer, May 3, 2007.

1. J.C

J.C Member

Hell no, there are enough rules restricing our lives and telling us how to live as it is. Another won't help.

J.C

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Fuckinay.A 500 dollar fine would make almost everyone vote.It would then actually be representative.One person--one vote.Then we could see if the votes count or who steals an election.Paper ballots only.Maybe people would pay attention to what the elections are about.And all political speeches on C-span.Money out!!

3. crankyelbow

crankyelbow Makes Music

$500??!?!?!?!?

$20 is enough to "buy out" your vote IMO... why do politicians get off when they can hand you a $500 fine, because its $ in their pocket for simpy existing. Why are we paying the government to exist????? Are we not supposed to be paying for SERVICES RENDERED?????

4. crankyelbow

crankyelbow Makes Music

Exactly! Silence is not power, who came up with that nonsense????? And WHY is it accepted????? What sense does it make????

YES voting should be mandatory. Its not a "right" or a "choice"... as a member of this country you are required to take part in voting - you PAY for that membership, your voice *must* be heard!!!! If you don't want to vote, go live in another country... the american people have a voice... but the great majority are deaf mutes by choice.

Oddly enough I was thinking about this yesterday.

5. essenceofweez

essenceofweez Member

NO.

See South Park episode, Douche vs Turd Sandwich.

[​IMG]

6. mortes

mortes Senior Member

I've consciously made the choice to not stand up for anyone that isn't me. Isn't this shit supposed to be a democracy anyways?

7. WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods Member

Why would you not want to be on jury duty? You have a lot of power as a juror, though you will have to do a little research because they aren't going to actually tell you about it.

8. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

An important factor in the right to vote is the right not to vote. Once they take away your right to boycott the system, they've undermined the premise of democracy.

9. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I would never serve on a jury where I live because the courts are corrupt. They will never put me on a jury because when called I will swear to vote not guilty regardless of the circumstances. No prosecutor in his right mind would ever put me on a jury.

Besides, the county attorney (who is also the local prosecutor in local cases) despises me and has launched countless attacks against me and my family because we are lower class and he is a democrat elitist who publicly swore to rid Boyd county of lower class residents. So he has a conflict of interest with me and I have one with him. With that in mind I don't expect to get a jury summons anytime soon. But if they do, cty attorney Hedrick can assure himself of a vote against his side in the case.

10. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

nothing should be mandatory.

11. nldn

nldn Senior Member

As long as there is the option to turn up at the polling station and then not complete a ballot paper, that's fine by me. Those who genuinely don't wish to vote because of conscience or their chosen party/person not being on the ballot paper have therefore had their wishes respected.

12. raz5

raz5 زینب

13. Ztrain

Ztrain Member

I think democracy should be done away with and replaced with a gg alin like system

14. Maxwell95

Maxwell95 Member

what about dumbfucks who hit the crack pipe every day?

15. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Except for death and taxes.

16. jamaican_youth

jamaican_youth Senior Member

Even education?

17. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Perhaps you mean attendance? "You can lead a horse to water, but..."

18. jamaican_youth

jamaican_youth Senior Member

Mandatory, attendance, same thing.

19. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I think it should be mandatory that folk should have to get totally steaming drunk before they vote, it'd certainly make things a bit more interesting.

20. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Attendance is about ALL you can enforce or make mandatory, anything more such as learning requires personal effort which can be quite difficult if not impossible to make mandatory.

Voting should not be mandatory, especially when it's most often a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.