Should voting be mandatory?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by yazzer, May 3, 2007.

1. yazzer

yazzer Member

Think about this one carefully and objectively.

(Don't forget, something as simple as jury duty is mandatory in the US. Also, voting is compulsary in Australia.)

2. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

Oh, just think how the elections might turn out if it WAS mandatory.... Yea, might be a blessing.

You could have folks go door to door like the census people do.

And let convicted felons vote too! Please. And allow ALL prospective candidates to be in the debates on TV so people can really make informed decisions... And let people who registered independant vote for whoever they want in the primaries. And screw the electoral college.....

3. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

Remember, voting in America doesn't count. Not anywhere above a local level, at least.

Your vote for Congress or President goes nowhere. Elections of that scale are decided long, long before you ever toss your vote.

So no...I don't think it should be mandatory to go do something that doesn't matter. We have the -right- to vote, but we do not have to...it's a freedom we can choose to explore or not. Once you begin forcing someone to use that freedom, they aren't free anymore.

1 person likes this.
  4. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

I think so, yeah, but I think a lot of people would become disgruntled because they don't want to vote, so they'd just vote for whomever without actually caring about it, and that's never good.

5. mortes

mortes Senior Member

hell no. Voting does nothing anyways. You don't make the laws rich people do. I'll never vote for any american in this slave-state.

1 person likes this.
  6. myself

myself just me

no
    people should have the right to be neutral if they r sick of all candidates

1 person likes this.
  7. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

Definitely not. Apathetic people would throw everything off because they'd be forced to pick someone. If they know nothing about the issues and have no interest, they shouldn't have to give their 2 cents.

8. madlizard

madlizard Senior Member

nothing should be mandatory.

1 person likes this.
  9. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Exactly. As to jury duty how many high profile individuals do you ever see on a jury? Think they could pay them 5.00 a day? How mandatory is it for them? Mandatory only seems to apply to the little man.

10. gardener

Actually that might be a good thing!

11. gardener

So actually everyone is voting anyway.

12. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

We are told by the establishment how important it is to vote, which is the same establishment who gives us the candidates to vote for. Democracy is the smoke screen designed to keep the public complacent, and they will remain complacent as long as they believe in the sham called democracy and naively think their voice counts and that they have a choice.

It's when enough people wake up and realize that their vote DOESN'T count that something can possibly be done.

13. gardener

Democracy is not a smoke screen when enforced by the population by voting. Just how can those without a voice ever have any power. That's where your arguments lose me rat.

14. Namaste

Namaste Member

You should have to pass a test to vote. That would get rid of A LOT of voters.

15. gardener

That was tried after the civil war and found to be unconstitutional.

16. rebelfight420

rebelfight420 Banned

no we are a free society supposedly we should'nt be forced to do anything.

17. WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods Member

It should be mandatory only if we get the option of None of the Above. If None of the Above wins, all candidates lose and new ones run in a new election. Continue until someone actually wins.

But seriously, how would you even go about forcing everyone to vote?

18. Catfish

Catfish Member

The best way to get a higher turnout on election day would be to put a "None of the above" spot on the ballot.

19. gardener

Ever seen Richard Pryor's movie Brewster's Millions, you should rent it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088850/

20. floydianslip6

floydianslip6 Senior Member

This is very true. Moreover, jury duty isn't mandatory, you get signed up for jury duty by participating a combination of government processes. One of those is registering to vote. It's your trade off with society, you vote, you go to jury duty. Granted most of the processes people go through without realizing it, though personally I have never been called for jury duty since I played my cards right in what I participate in.

if voting were made mandatory, the next logical step in our current society would be madating which vote you cast.