Find your Sub-Forum

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by knottybaja, Feb 18, 2007.

1. knottybaja

knottybaja Member

I see a lot of specific threads that deal with topics that we have whole sub-forums for. please check out the other forums and personal forums before putting everything in the hippies section. not trying to be a jerk, but those other forums are dying.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

3. A.B.E.

A.B.E. Member

This may be important to use sub forums , but sometimes I want responses from the particular family of people on HIppies forum. I have browsed these sub-forums, and the group posting is completely different, so I sometimes choose Hipppies forum Community because I know the posters, and are interested in what they have to say.

Also after you take all the sub forum catagories into account, all there is to post on Hippies is "Are you a Hippy, When did you become a Hippie, Does a hippy have long hair, Do you like to wear flowers in your hair, Do all hippies flash others the peace sign.? " etc.

And if you, drumminmama, lock a thread on dreadlocks, or meditation, then why don't you lock a music thread or political or environmental threads that appear on Hippies Forum. I have always wondered about the criteria.......

4. ALLY0UN33DISL0V3

ALLY0UN33DISL0V3 Member

It's been such a long time.....(ha! Boston)

I don't know where my old thread whent :(
    WTF?
    What happened to the youngins?
    I am going through hippie withdralws :(

5. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Don't worry those other forums are NOT dying. Quite the opposite in fact! :)

But yes if you have something specific and you're not just wanting responses from the regulars in this forum, then you should put it where it belongs.

And EVERYONE should browse our list of forums, cause otherwise you'll never know what you're missing. Your next friend or lover could be waiting for you in another forum.... ;)

6. skip

Different mods have different forums they mod...OBVIOUSLY!

Gee we only have like 30 or so mods on here.

7. 10000 lighr years

10000 lighr years Member

hey well i sort of hear you.espically the particular part of people,i have a hard time and i should,aligning with the flow of the younger,my times where much more i dont know,not superior but more uh well less less less,now i know.i am stupid. i do stupid stuff,like feel the wind flow and myself with it,i degress.

8. A.B.E.

A.B.E. Member

I sometimes just sit around and try to think of some new provocative thread starters, and I always run into the problem of the possibility that many that I could come up with might be "moved" or "closed", (due to subject matter) and I must say this makes me limited to what I and others can come up with for HIPPIES FORUM.

The other day I felt like discussing with some of the people I knew on Hippies Community about what their favorite flower was. Immediately I wondered if some moderator was going to move my thread to "Gardening". They didn't, but one can never be sure.

I want to get to know the posters on Hippies Community better, and get a more well rounded profile, and so might want to discuss many things that there is also a seperate forum for. I think many people just can't think of anything to start a thread for on Hippies Community, because they know it fits into some other forum catagory. Theres a chance this forum can get boring, if all you can think of is more "hippie" criteria.

I would like to feel that anything goes on Hippies Community as long as you don't get fanatic, and if you want to start 100 threads about your favorite movies, then you would have the interest and courtesy anyway to go to the "Movies" forum.

So, whats the policy here.? If I start a thread on yoga, would you move me to "yoga and meditation" ? Maybe I don't want to discuss yoga with the proficient experts, maybe I want to let my casual acquaintances at "Hippies" talk about stretching and related subjects.

There was a thread that someone started about Dreads, and within 5 posts, it was closed. Should this new member have gone directly to Body Modifications.? He wanted to post it in the community he hoped to relate to. Maybe he didn't even wish to post anywhere else but Hippies Community.

Lately I have been putting some reference to Hippies Community in the title or text to indicate the preferred forum. Oh well just some thoughts.

I love Hip Forums. Hip Forums loves me.

9. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

There are a few mini-communities here such as "Random Thoughts" and "The Whiners" in which practically anything that isn't spam (or that doesn't break the rules) goes. You can blend into these communities, which are wonderful... but, are long well established and have way too many inside jokes and member connections in them for one to integrate into them quickly.

The "Hippies" forum isn't as much of a community because it gets lots and lots of random traffic. Some threads here truly do not belong (per example, there's a thread about Xbox gamer IDs or some crap like that on the first page right now), but I would say that, out of my personal experience, most thread that have something to do with "Hippie" won't be moved unless there's a big subforum for the subject (Per example, dread threads are much better off at the Knotty Know How forum because there is a strong, big community there and a lot of the questions which people ask about dreads are already answered there in Sticky threads and just random posts... at most an easy search.

I think the "Hippie" forum is doing alright, lots of good discussion here... I would actually like to see it moderated a tad more heavily in order to cut completely random topics that have nothing to do with the forum name out of it.

10. Kiwi_Toast

Kiwi_Toast Member

Right on.
    I love the Hippie Forum for what it is because
    there can be different topics within it.

Annd, I also think its somewhat disrespectful and sudden
    if a topic is moved without the posters say on it, ya dig?

It's important to share thoughts and opinions on certain things
    with the people who you feel more comfortable with.
    Threads should only be moved it it really seems necessessary.
    (such as if the post number is way high..
    or it seems to be too off topic, etc.)

11. Steve Green

Steve Green Member

I always try to find the right forum to post my threads in, but I couldn't find gardening...

12. skip

Under Forum Options Menu there's "Find Forum", just enter your keyword and it'll find all related forums. :)

13. 52~unknown~52

52~unknown~52 Member

i feel that as long as your in the general area, you should be alright... i do try hard to post properly though....

14. dougwild

dougwild Guest

Shucks I thought this was a hook up page.....you know the find your 'ub' forum? peace and love peace and love lol

15. Psychedelic Nature

Psychedelic Nature Member

yp i aggre with the OP