Who rides motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by abudman, Aug 5, 2004.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I think the Ossa was rated at 33 HP, but I had it bored out 3 over. Yeah it ripped.
    Montesa, MZ, CZ, Bultaco, Huskys, and those Jap bikes with the 8 speed high low range transmissions that had a lever on the top of the tranny that you hit with your heel to drop it into low range.

I worked at a Yamaha shop in the early 70's so I got to ride all the used bikes we'd take in as I was charged with refurbishing them. We had three guys in the summer months that did nothing but assemble new Yamahas 5 days a week, that's how many bikes were being sold, so we had a lot of trade ins.

I really liked the Hodaka Combat Wombat and Super Rat.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  2. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Cheers! Good times, man! My trail boss had a dual-range 5 speed, with the high/low selector under the shifter/front sprocket area. No way to change it on the fly; if it could have been done I'd have found a way! Couldn't access it from a riding position but I rigged something to try and found it wouldn't mesh unless the bike was stopped. I had a Hodaka 100 for a short stint. Not bad but I had to sell it. Parents sometimes don't allow kids to make the best decisions sometimes. hehe Nobody in my family rode, so they just didn't get it. But for like five years before getting my driver's license I'd ride every day. Had to be home for dinner with the family but otherwise riding while most kids were playing with balls. This was long before video games and such, of course.

I also was my own mechanic. I'd already learned a lot from fixing lawnmowers and then my Rupp mini-bike with a 5hp Tecumseh. Odd childhood, I know. But before i reached teens I'd ground valves and seats with the machine, honed cylinders, etc., at the local country machine shop where the elderly owner took to me. When I needed parts, I'd get my mom to take me to the dealership. Yeah, people wondered. Probably not every day a ten year old comes in, peruses a parts book, and gives the parts guy who couldn't find them the numbers to order.

I got to ride someone's big bore racing bike once as a young teen. It felt so amazing how that thing ripped! I don't remember exactly but it was a Husky or a Bultaco, 400 or 450. I do remember it was supposedly the fastest bike made then according to the owner. It barked.

I woulda loved to ride one of those sweet old bikes I saw in Cuba. I think this one guy woulda let me but I refrained from asking. They are very dear to those guys. Takes years' worth of their salary just to buy one. Almost like us buying a house. I knew I couldn't feel worse if something were to happen to it even if it were coincidental. But I did ride one guy's scooter who insisted. 50cc and tiny wheels just don't cut it though for me to feel safe on the road. Would be awesome to get back there on a real bike!

MeAgain likes this.
  3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Although I don't own a bike myself, I love those rally's.
    As an engineer, I have met some really interesting people who enjoy chatting about different aspects of their bikes.
    When my 5 year old son was with me, the guys loved him and took loads of photos of him sitting on their bikes.
    Anyone who thinks that bikers are rough morons should spend some time at one of these events.

4. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Exploring Mexico on bike is on my "bucket list". I expect to be off asphalt much of the time there. I want to get a new bike for it, a compromise between off-road capability/lightweight, and carrying capacity/roadworthiness. Currently thinking Tenere 700 or KTM 790.

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In '58, I had a old Triumph rigid frame.Was ok for my first bike. In '63, I had a Triumph TT 120, the first year the engine and trans were one unit. Eleven and a half to one compression ratio. 156 mph right out of the factory. At that point it was as fast as or faster than any bike extant. That was before the Japanese bikes got big. That sucker was fast. One time when I lived in Coalinga,California---there was a so-called hound and hare race outside of town and Steve Mcqueen and other members of his "group/club came to participate. During the race, a couple of his friends came over to me and informed me that Mcqueen had a flat on his bike and since it was exactly like mine--could they take the back wheel off so he could use it to get back in the race. I said sure, so they dismantled what they needed off my bike and put it on his. After the race, they put mine back together for me. It was funny watching the college girls scrambling to pick up his beer cans when he discarded them All and all--pretty fun day. I stopped riding when the fabled LEFT TURN GOT ME. You bikers know what I mean!

MeAgain likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I quit riding in "79 when my back got fucked up...

7. Daretobare

Daretobare Member

I no longer ride nor own one but do miss it. I always owned Goldwings. I have twice ridden around the country on different routes. Some with my wife on the back and logged many miles and states with friends. My biggest accomplishment was that I have actually ridden all lower 48 states, Mexico.. though just an in and out. And two provinces in Canada. I don't see ever getting Alaska or Hawaii but it's on the bucket list.

scratcho, MeAgain and GLENGLEN like this.
  8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I gave up dirt bikes after wrecking the Ossa for the millionth time and watching the blood run down my arm.

Wrecked one of my XS650s when I got rear ended by a kid with no driver's license or insurance, was high and drunk, and driving someone else's car. Fortunately I heard tires screeching and apparently jumped as soon as the bike was hit. Unfortunately I was hit by the next car behind the one that hit the bike.
    I woke up in the weeds and took a trip to the hospital. Nothing was broken but I had to sleep on my back for a month.

scratcho likes this.