chemistry sets

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by sentient, Dec 27, 2006.

1. sentient

sentient Senior Member

When I was young I had a chemistry set and used to go to the chemists and get chemicals with really bizzarre names - that I'm absolutely certain would be illegal now. Truth is I havent even seen a chemistry set in the shops for 10 years at least. I asked a chemist the other week if kids come into his shop asking for chemicals and he said they just cant do it anymore.
    How are kids supposed to learn at home - I dont get why theyre not allowed to make some of the mistakes I made. Ok admittedly I nearly set fire to the kitchen ceiling a few times when it all went wrong and exploded but that was all part of growing up.

I used to be able to get all sorts of sodiums and permanganates and whatnots - wheres the adventure gone?

Also does anyone know of a list of exactly what chemicals you are allowed to buy from a British chemists shop?

2. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Between insurance companies, lawsuits, and government regulations, almost everything that would help interest a kid in chemistry has been legislated right out of chemistry sets.

Fears about drug manufacture and bombmaking have pretty much eliminated the ability of kids to buy any chems from a drugstore or hardware store either, at least here in the USA. Lots of good discussion here:

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/01/0649208

For a GREAT read on how home chemistry in the UK used to be, and reflections on the current situation, I highly recommend the book "Uncle Tungsten" by Oliver Sacks.

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I had an amazing chemistry set as a kid. All kinds of poisons, an alcohol burner, glass ware, a scale, test tubes with that cool holder, those test tube holder metal things. You could make really cool stuff with it.

I went looking for one for Sage (my 7 year old, who likes this kind of stuff) and all I found was "The Safest Chemistry Set Made." OK, that is NOT what I want. I'm not going to let her eat it, and she can mix vinegar and baking powder, without spending hundreds of dollars.

Ellis, do you think we could get one from overseas? Or even Canada?

4. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

My little one is a few years too young for a chemistry set, but I have heard good things about this one:

http://www.thamesandkosmos.com/products/chem/c30002.html

, as well as their other science toys. A German product, but with decent distribution in the USA. The chemical list actually looks similar to what I remember from the sets I had as a kid.

5. sentient

sentient Senior Member

Thanks for all the info Ellis - I'm just a big kid really and would love to do a few chemistry experiments but I know what the reaction would be at the chemist if I started asking for wierdo ingredients. HA HA HA actually I was going to get one as a pressie for someone

Best thing I did with chemicals was make a chemical garden.
    and blow things up and make different coloured flames.
    I also went through a phase of trying to make THE smelliest stink bombs ever
    and managed it !
    Actually I was about 13 then and we dropped these home made stink bombs on the bus and crushed the test tubes they were in - then we got off the bus and it drove off about 90 yards down the road and stopped then everyone (about 100 kids and a few adults) jumped off - somehow the driver knew it was us and as we walked past he shouted and chased us for ages - hmmm all a long time ago now