the politics of science

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by sentient, Dec 20, 2006.

1. sentient

sentient Senior Member

Why dont politicians all around the world setup new institutions through the U.N. where teams of scientists are handpicked and asked to join (loads of them all in one place so they can do their work better) so that the best of the best are then in the employmjent of everyonelse on the planet to solve things like global warming etc - problems to do with new safe fuels
    they could return science to its pure state with no political attachments and let the scientists do what they must to create a better world
    Its a bit chaotic the science world and no-one is really inventing much to save the planet

2. Leopold Plumtree

Leopold Plumtree Member

Politicians setting up institutions to depoliticize science?

I somehow doubt that would work. :)

3. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

why would you want politicians to select scientists?

the bush administration already does this in order to slow down scientific and environmental progress that threatens certain money-making industries. you simply pick a (crack-pot) scientist, pay him, and voila, you have a dissenting opinion (e.g. "global warming is not real") to the facts of good scientific research, while 99% of the other scientists are all saying "no, that person is not qualified to make these statements; in fact, no one in the scientific community gives him any respect because his theories and methodology go against the fundamental grounding of unbiased, properly-executed scientific research." worse yet, they get some "scientist" to find evidence contrary to decades of well-directed research: for example, "global warming is not a real problem because if you take a look at the average air temperatures in western european countries, you'll see that the temperatures are actually cooling." it's misguiding "scientific" claims like these that slow us down. the problem is that these crack-pots either don't know, or fail to consider, that global warming is a multifaceted threat. that is, europe WILL get cooler as many other parts of the world get warmer, due to disruptions in warm (salty) ocean currents. but this in no way contradicts the facts of global warming. it's all a messy smoke-screen. too bad the power of the scientific community doesn't trump the politicians. that's how it should be.

sorry.

4. sentient

sentient Senior Member

I agree actually with everything you said and yet I see I failed to explain my point properly
    I was really asking then - as a revision of my previous question
    If governments want to solve the problems that face the human race shouldnt they make funds available to the scientific world so that once the scientists organise between themselves who will be in charge of the project etc - then they set about choosing the best and most able thinkers to join in a project that will be funded by all the worlds governments and will cover such things as, clean fuel , global warming, industrial cleanups, etc. I was envisaging something whereby the politicians trust the scientists to apply their entire being in helping the world to find solutions to these things - a venture which is dictated by the science community itself and is left to its own devices but is funded by everyone in the world

5. Leopold Plumtree

Leopold Plumtree Member

Yes, if. I'm not convinced gov'ts really concern themselves much with that.

Also, there already are international scientific organizations.

6. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

i like the idea, sentient. we'd still have to somehow control for corruption (e.g. people getting paid off to misrepresent the truth). i wish the world could put humanity above profits....

7. sentient

sentient Senior Member

I really believe sience could get us out of the mess we created for ourselves but politics holds everything back. Unless someone in the science communities of the world can press a case for taking action on the issues that will wipe us out then we will all lose. I dont think the planets got much time left in which to find real solutions. perhaps there wont be a new years day 2107

8. Leopold Plumtree

Leopold Plumtree Member

Or get us in a greater mess. It goes both ways.

9. sentient

sentient Senior Member

no man its the politicians that dig the holes and science that provdes the shovel - Science should topple politics - let the scientists be the politicians too - they would know how to use the creations better

10. fexurbis

fexurbis Member

I don't believe you can take the politics (or the economics, for that matter) out of science, or that it was ever the case that science was in a "pure state." Even in primitive societies, if anthropology is any indication, blacksmiths have held significant status and liasons with tribal leaders. That because metallurgy was/is the most advanced science in said societies.

There are already scientific organs in the UN (I think), and that is the closest thing I can anticipate to what you're describing. I do believe however, much like what you're saying, that those organs could be given greater independence and that they might be made more efficient although not necessarily through centralization.

All human activities are infused with politics. We are political animals, as Aristotles has said.

Also, science has made significant discoveries in the past couple of decades. That is undeniable. A lot of solutions to environmental problems are already public knowledge, but in order to be implemented, those solutions need politics. That's the rub...

Global warming is a different issue because it is known that it would occur even without human intervention. It is a cycle that has been in place since the last Ice Age. Science certainly can't do anything about that.

11. sentient

sentient Senior Member

Something should be done at any rate to get the world out of its problems and it seems to me like the scientists and inventors have the best chance of getting a solution. The politicians are just interested in how much it costs and dont seem to realise that it wont cost anything in about 200 years time because everyone will be dead because of pollution etc etc etc. If they dont do something to put science and solutions to global problems at the top of the agenda we are all screwed. Even though I dont understand even a 1/5 of what scientists say I know I trust that they are the only ones who totally understand the problem and so are the best chance at solving it. They should have better funding and beter organisation. That way the very best could be highly paid to provide the world with solutions and a world authority on scientific matters. As long as they remained unbiased and incorruptible then it would work

12. fexurbis

fexurbis Member

I understand what you are saying and agree for the most part. Although I don't think scientist are incorruptible as all that. Remember that science is behind Hiroshima. Many scientists in the past have utilized much in the way of political muscle...

I also think that your prediction that everyone would be dead because of pollution in 200 years is alarmist. Scientists aren't saying that. The environmentalist lobby is...