Magnetism power

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by INSANEPOOKIE, Dec 15, 2006.

1. INSANEPOOKIE

INSANEPOOKIE Prancing Dragon

How much would you guess it'd cost to create a strong enough magnetic field to hold the body weight of a semi average person?

Would the electricity from a standard outlet have enough juice to create an electromagnetic field to perform this action?

I've always had this idea floating around in my head to create a ping pong sized table that could levitate heavier items for fun and that esclated into the idea of hovering a human on a piece of metal of some sort. Then back in the olden days when Back to the Future 2 came out I saw the concept that I wanted to create in the movies. I imagine creating a strong electomagnet flooring would be a tad more plausable than creating a hover board from the movie ;)

2. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

Depends on how you go about it.Though the answer is expensive whatever way you do it. You can get novelty toys that has magnets above and below an object and some ferromagnetic material attached to the object, all aligned tot eh object will float. Though to extend this to a human you'd need quite big magnets. Probably rare earth ones I guess, or a big electromagnet, though whether you could supply the current I don't know, im guessing not. The other way is diamagnetic levitation, which would levitate a person without a metal sheet. Though for this you would need many Tesla of field and this would almost require superconducting magnets the cost would be well too much I imagine.

3. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Are you talking about the standard 120 volt AC system in your house?
    I'd say if so, then, No. That juice won't be enough.
    But, I read somewhere, that some scientist is working on a Gravity drive system for aircraft and later, MAYBE... A spacegoing ship?

4. Airfern1313

Airfern1313 Member

I remember seeing something on discovery or history channel about this kind of stuff. They floated a frog using really strong magnets because the way water reacts to magnets (and how many animals are made up of so much water)

5. INSANEPOOKIE

INSANEPOOKIE Prancing Dragon

Thanks for the information. My ideas of making air hockey type games with some form of electromagnet sounds like it'll need to sit on the back burner. From what I had researched it did seem a bit spendy to make anything with a large constant magnetic force.

They need to hurry up with those railguns from RIFTs.

6. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

The thing with the frogs is diamagnetic levitation, pretty much anything can be made to respond magnetically under the right conditions. This is a big misconception simply because ferromagnetic effects in things like Iron are so much stronger you never notice the rest. Really you wont see much in non-ferromagnetic materials without the very strong magnetic field we can now generate anyway.

7. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

8. sentient

sentient Senior Member

we got 240V in Britain

hey I saw a documentary where this guy wrapped a copper wire around some doughnut shaped metal (about 200 times) then plugged it into the mains supply and it levitated above his desk - it was a demo of what the USA military were trying with antigravity