your Fiber Arts soundtrack.....

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by cerridwen, Dec 4, 2006.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

What do you find yourself listening to while doing your knitting, sewing, batiking, crocheting, beading, or tie dying?

I'm getting myself into more involved patterns with knitting and crocheting, and television - even though I'm a dvd junkie - is too much of a distraction, but I do need some background noise.

I've found myself, lately, playing a lot of Nirvana and the Cure in the background, I dont know why but it makes for an excellent soundtrack to my yarn crafts....

2. Rue Takedo

Rue Takedo Member

For things that I'm churning out, like afghan blocks or dishcloths, I like techno/electronica. For more involved stuff, calmer music reminds me to take my time.

3. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

If I am working on basic projects that I don't really need a pattern for, like say a toque or scarf or granny squares I totally watch/listen/osmosis-ize tv. I do prefer to watch uncomplicated tv though.. so sometimes its memorized episodes of Buffy, sometimes its Oprah.

If I am working on an intarsia or fair isle project, I listen to my customized Yahoo radio station. Its nice because I don't have to change CDs, and it always plays something I like or can at least tolerate for 3 minutes!

4. knitin.chick

knitin.chick Members

I've been listening to Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" and a whole lot of Muddy Waters.
    I also like to listen to audio books while I knit. I just finished listening to "All Creatures Great and Small" by James Herriot and now I'm listening to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson.

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

such a wide spectrum of tunes, so cool! :) I've tried the audio book thing too, and being as simple minded as I am, those distract me too on more complicated items! But I do love the occasional audio book in the car during long drives (which I often do on the weekends!)...

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

for the dyes, it depends on the energy we need to put into them. Anything from Tool to classic SCI (97-99)
    I would weave to jam bands, too although I discovered pandora.com and I like working to it.

7. ConeyIslandOfTheMind

ConeyIslandOfTheMind Member

Pandora is the shit. I love it.

Folk music usually gets me knittin' real good. One song I've been putting on repeat lately is Kenny Loggins's "Danny's Song." Any Iron and Wine, or really anything to put me at ease.

8. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

I listen to either the Folk Roots station that I get on the TV, or I put on Keller Williams, Phish, Grateful Dead, Xavier Rudd, String Cheese, or New Riders of the Purple Sage. :D Once in a while I'll throw on some John Prine or somethin.

9. drumminmama

I wove a piece for Keller's wife Emily based on the colors Michael Everett used in a Telluride after party poster.

10. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

aghhh you've met them?!

lucky. :(

and.. the weaving thing :D that is *so* cool.

11. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I miss the days of seeing her hanging around the merchandise stand before Emma... but at least there's always Lou. :D

I've always wanted to further my sewing, but for some reason, Michael Franti can get me going along while doing necklacery. Lately, the golden album has been Keller & The Keels - Grass.

As well as just about any Hampton show by Phish... and I don't remember what date it is, but it was one of the longest sets that SCI ever played, at Higher Ground, I believe. For some reason I want to say it was at somewhere like high sierra or telluride... but I think it's higher ground.

12. fruit bat

fruit bat All dumplings are real.

Okay, I'm in a very Jens Lekman/Sufjan Stevens mood these days. :D

Just thought I'd revive this thread, purely because I like it. :D

13. Argiope aurantia

Argiope aurantia Member

Zombie and Cooper, baby.

14. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

pink floyd

15. SamanthaHazelEyes

SamanthaHazelEyes Member

I tend to listen to anything from Devendra Banhart's acoustic folk to random 60's music like The Beatles, Donovan, and Jefferson Airplane.

16. blisskiss

blisskiss Member

This is a great thread! I pop in the Grateful Dead movie dvd and crochet away. When I'm really in the groove I don't even notice someone talking to me or the phone ringing...

17. drumminmama

Bump from the past!

So, how have our soundtracks changed?
    I'm no longer with Paul, and he got the tunes in the divorce, so I'm definitely in the folkier vein these days.

18. HoneySuckleBlue

HoneySuckleBlue Cosmic Artist

Yay new ideas! Good thread :2thumbsup: When I am sewing I like flamenco music. The music is intricate and makes me want to go faster! Rodrigo y Gabriela are amazing. It is inspiring to listen to people that incredible at what they do. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_4uhY6i7zY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_4uhY6i7zY

...sorry about your divorce, but folkie is good!