Philosophy & Religon

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Valis_77, May 13, 2004.

1. Valis_77

Valis_77 Member

Do you think it's right that philosophy and religion are grouped together rather than having a seperate thred each?

To me philosophy is about questions, execpting that we may know very little, trying to expand the way you see "reality."

Religious forums are mostly filled with people with concrete fixed beliefs that they cling to for safety, tring to convince others and bickering. Once spirituality turns into religion there's no room for growth and questions.

2. un1ficat10n

un1ficat10n Member

I like the grouping. It creates dialog.

3. Valis_77

Valis_77 Member

Yeah, it does. But it's like putting the books and music forums together, or the dreams and psychedelics and saying that creates dialog.

They cross over but they're not the same subject.

Actually, I don't even believe my own argument here. I just got bored and felt the need to post something :)

4. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Feel they are inseparable.

Philosophers mostly turn to religion and seek for the truth.

With love..............Kumar.

5. the dauer

the dauer Member

Some religions encourage questions.

While I agree with you that most of the people in forums related to religion are overly concerned with the particulars of their own faiths, there are also others whose main concern is the spiritual. Placing spirituality in the context of religion allows for a communal experience of the Divine.

When a religion becomes stale and is nothing more than ritual for the sake of ritual, at that point it has lost its original intent and needs to find its way back.

Rituals help to give individuals a sense of belonging to something greater and, if carried out properly, should always be done so with a sense of the spiritual.

Aryeh Kaplan showed how many of the practices of Judaism are supposed to be done as meditations. This is the reason for prayer before eating. It is because the eating itself should be a sort of meditation, a sacred act, focusing on the textures and flavors, acknowledging and recognizing the Divine in the food that is also in all of creation.

Anyway, sorry. I tend to go way off topic. I guess you didn't really define what you meant by growth. Personal growth is certainly not absent in all religion and certainly not in the religion I have experienced. And questions and the like are encouraged. Just as some of Judaism can vary in this, I'm sure these aspects are found in other religions.

Dauer

And if you read a little Heschel you will realize that, at least in Judaism, the big thing is realizing what we can't ever possibly know, that is the big whys of existence and everything else. Awe is more essential than belief.

6. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

This is a good topic because its raises a question Ive had for years..

Whats the difference?

I can remember having a discussion with a Philosopy student in which he was covering Aristotle to Marx and I was discussing something about Kierkegaard and this led to Jesus and some parables...

"Whoa!" he stopped me .. "Hold on.. THAT is religion.. we were talking Philosopy!"

I guess I just fail to see such a clear line of distinction??

It probably worth mentioning that 'we' have been the ones to create 'Categories' as if this helps us.
    This will be in 'Existentialists' and that will be in the 'Gnostic' box and that guy was either a '....' or he was a '.....'

Well.. there ya have it

7. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

Well, sometimes I feel they should be separate, because they're not even close to being the same... yet perhaps that's being too clinic. It's all about people trying to answer some questions in life, after all.

8. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Hey, it's whatever you believe in...

9. Valis_77

Valis_77 Member

I like that.

10. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

Philosohpy asks the questions and religion makes an attempt to answer them.