Internet child safety

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by neworder, Nov 30, 2006.

1. tojoey

tojoey Guest

yes it is more important to teach our kids the good and bad things that we use in the day to day life. They must be aware of using the Internet and they should learn more about the Internet. They can learn more things on Internet regarding the studies,entertainment,chatting and so on.

2. Psilo_Cybin

Psilo_Cybin Member

How old are the kids you are trying to keep 'internet' safe?
    To be completely honest my parents tried when i was younger, but it turns out i was more tech savvy then they could handle :)

3. SassyAtasha01

SassyAtasha01 Banned

Thank you for sharing this. :)

4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

The internet IS A BAD PLACE for sure,keepiung YOUNG ONES safe from predators is a VERY GOOD THING!!

5. yarapario

yarapario Village Elder

You say this with such conviction that I wonder if you have had some personal bad experience. While the dangers of inappropriate internet use are obvious there is great potenial for good as well. I hope that if you were harmed you are in a healing process. Please take care of you.

6. myhipshurt

myhipshurt Guest

To make the internet safe for Children is almost impossible these days. My daughter is 1 year old and she can operate an iphone 4. She can unlock it, move the screen, and hit angry birds and start playing! I'm like what the ?!?! So my best bet for internet safety is to just teach her right from wrong. Putting obvious restrictions on websites and the like will just make them more tempted to go there.

7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

The minds of children have not been compromised and filled with garbage so they can usually do things one might not think they can :)

I think by the time she is 3,she will be fully using the net @ this rate :)

8. roth2006

roth2006 Guest

No problem ! BTW if anyone needs any extra help with changing those settings I can tell you or post new links

[​IMG]

9. Toby Stanley

Toby Stanley Member

It is so possible to protect any child, now matter how talented (curious) they might be to "lock down" any computer system, safeguarding them from harm!

I did this a few weeks ago for the grand daughter of a good friend of my parents and just watching and listening to that little kid cry, simply brought to me knees! It was fixed so that it would never happen again, for she just wanted to do her homework on her laptop, a good little girl!

The original purpose of the ARPANet/MilNet, now called the "Internet" was to allow for the free unimpeded exchange of knowledge and I should know for my first account and email address was granted to me in 1979, helping to design network protocols!

What has this world become?

10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Hi Toby, And Welcome Back To The Forums, So How Long Do We

Have To Wait This Time Before Your...:spam:...Kicks In...[​IMG].?

Cheers Glen.

11. kingofthemoon1313

kingofthemoon1313 Member

Children should be set free to explore not held down by censorship.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

um no..

13. Colimon

Colimon Cheesus Christo

I find that these things are useless and will cause children to just go and do it somewhere else if they are unable to do it on your computer. I would go ahead and EDUCATE instead of blocking them out of so much that they'd want to see it.

14. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Way too many of today's teenagers have literally NO FUCKING CLUE about how to stay safe online, what hackers can really do and how easy they make it for someone smart, and slick with a keyboard can literally have them willingly volunteering their whole life story and get enough information in a matter of hours or less to steal their whole identity. And people like this would swear your a mind reader or something....no it's called social engineering kid I didn't know anything U didn't tell me :p

Sometimes you gotta scare them a little then they see but my intentions are good, some peoples not so much lol

You gotta show them what some people are capable of out there, just telling them about it is just gonna make them want to do these things more.

And computers are just too easy these days. You don't actually have to ever get ur hands dirty or type any shell commands kids probably don't even know about this or just think that's something really old computers had and u only see that in old movies lol

15. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Social engineering? Why no tbe just direct and get your answers to whatever questions you mght have.....as you're making it sound like social engineering is nothing more than a mind game....?

16. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I'm not asking questions here...the thread is about kids and the internet/kids staying safe online;)

You have to use the same or even more diligence online as u do IRL. It's a real place with real people but they might not always be who they say they are it's. Its not like you can see them...

See google for social engineering...I was about to say this isn't the thread for that but actually I guess it is as long as it does t take things off on a total tangent :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_(security)

From Wikipedia:
    There is much more on this topic but that is the gist of what that term means...Kevin Mitnick has a good (several really) books that cover the topic.

The one that comes to mind is the art of deception - by Kevin Mitnick

The art of seduction by Robert green discusses related tactics from a somewhat different angle, I have not read it thru and thru...used to have a PDF of that book years ago.

17. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I understand....no....you never know who you are really talking to on the internet....just be carefull, so I understand your message, finally...lol :)

18. FireWitch

FireWitch Member

You can also shell out a few extra bucks for Windows Professional and get group policy. With that you can lock their account down as much as you want. This is stuff like locking down the network panel, preventing downloads, and preventing them from deleting their browsing history. Check out your routers as well. They usually have a blacklist in them that lets you block sites. Hardware based blocking always trumps the software based net nanny type stuff. Lastly, get an app that reports to your smart phone exactly what they are doing online. There are several out there; so just look around to see which one that you like the best. And if you really want to be an asshole you can get a usb stick and run a program on Windows called syskey.exe. This will force your kids to need the stick to even boot up onto the logon screen. So they will only be able to get online while you are home.

19. FireWitch

FireWitch Member

Sadly just as many Adults seem to have the same problem.

20. iamjustme

iamjustme Wishful thinker HipForums Supporter

I was in civilian law enforcement that investigated online predators.
    NOOOO - I was not one of those entrapment posers that lure people in to ruin their lives.
    Far from it. My job was finding the identity of REAL predators that already committed crimes from complaints, usually distraught parents.
    Very difficult work, not difficult as in hard to do, difficult by what you see these motherf*ckers do. And having the paitience and skill to find them undetected.
    It makes be just furious seeing parents providing their children with smart phones.
    Big...big..BIG mistake. I seen way too much, way too often.

1 person likes this.