Favorite jazz guitarist

Discussion in 'Jazz' started by Any Color You Like, Nov 18, 2006.

1. jazzguitar205

jazzguitar205 Member

Then again, those guys weren't playing with two fingers. It's not always about technical ability. Debating over which guitarist is better is pointless anyhow, it's all a matter of taste.

2. pasta

pasta Member

Grant Green, especially the soul jazz stuff: Carryin' On, Green is Beautiful, Alive!, Live at the Lighthouse, Live at Club Mozambique.

3. Beckner420

Beckner420 troll

Have to say Lenny Brough... crazy.

4. Necroticism

Necroticism Member

Carlos Santana in his mid '70s fusion period
    John Mclaughlin
    Lenny Breau

5. whatshappenin23

whatshappenin23 Banned

to the guy who was questioning whether we know what classic jazz is...Im sorry, George Benson is a great player and I love a lot of his stuff, but RARELY is he a "jazz" player. His career is mostly soul and pop oriented. I gotta give it to my man wes, but PAT METHENY is my favorite player (and yes, he does have quite a repetoire of non jazz material as well, but shiiiet...) hands down. His time, phrasing, tone, compositions, creativity...GIMME A BREAK!!

6. zargana

zargana Member

ASIM CAN GÜNDÜZ..big and wonderful.....

7. Gloria

Gloria Member

Django Baker

8. Gloria

Gloria Member

Oh God, Django Reinhardt

9. Axis: Bold As Love

Axis: Bold As Love Member

For me, it is Martin Taylor. I saw im over Easter, and he was incredible; by far the most virtuosic guitarist ever. Then come Django Reinhardt, Joe Pass, Bireli Lagrene, and if you're including jazz fusion, Jeff Beck, Shawn Lane, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin.

10. mrshappy0

mrshappy0 Member

Django's unique sound just makes me feel good but i also love that Phat jazzy tone from George Benson. Im no jazz purist but i seem to perceive george benson as jazz guitarist, is he not?

11. OstrOsized

OstrOsized Member

John L. "Wes" Montgomery first of all, hands down. Pretty much every guitarist after his time that ever considered themselves a "Jazz player" owes Wes. Whenever I listen to Wes... Man, that is jazz guitar baby. Sure he's not the most "technical" but he was playing with his thumb for crying out loud. He didn't need "technicality" anyway, when almost all of his notes were perfect and swung. Then again, listen to his version of "Impressions" and tell me he doesn't burn. :cool:

I would say my next personal favorite is Pat Metheny. Sure not all of his stuff is "Jazz". But man, he sure can play jazz when he does it. Plus, he is a very good player and extremely creative not only in song writing but soloing as well. Great ideas and phrasing. I'm definitely really influenced by Pat in my playing.

John McLaughlin too... Man, if there was ever a player that had both amazing technical ability and very creative and artistic playing, it was John McLaughlin.

12. zillagod

zillagod Member

My fav is nowhere near the best player, but you did ask for fav and not who we think is the best, so I will say Russ Freeman of the Rippingtons. I just love his music, and he and Craig Chaquico did a great album together as well.

13. TributetoME

TributetoME Member

Scofield or McLaughlin

14. Ellis

Ellis Member

Django Reinhardt

15. PeaceColors33

PeaceColors33 Member

Wow, i can't beleive no one mentioned George Benson.. cmon people! hah

16. freepskeep

freepskeep Member

Wes Montgomery. His emotion and style are great. I've even picked up his thumb technique. Inspired me to play jazz really. Check out his live performance of yesterdays, I could listen to it on repeat for days. Also did a sweet collab with organist Jimmy Smith, another of my faves.
    Also, I second the George Benson comments.

17. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

him and Joe Pass :)

18. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

does larry correal count

19. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

I would definitely have to go with Frank Zappa. I do consider his work to be jazz.

20. freepskeep

freepskeep Member

Although he wrote quite a bit of jazz, I'm not sure if I'd feel right categorizing him as a "jazz guitarist". Either way, still a great player and a musical genius. Also wanna add Tal Farlow.