1st day tomorrow

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by homeschoolmama, Aug 13, 2006.

1. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

We school year-round, so this is kind of a non-issue with us. There are 3 weeks off for each season rather than a 12-week long summer vacation. But tomorrow is our first day of school again.

I didn't think I would be that worked up about it, since I've been homeschooling both kiddies since birth. But this is the 1st year that I will have to send district paperwork in for both of them, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed now that it's down to the last couple hours. I still haven't heard back from the district, so at some point our entire routine will have to be turned on it's ear for therapy sessions for DS. Nobody's gonna like that, but there's little I can do. And the district STILL hasn't sent me their stupid packet that they insist I fill out instead of my just sending them my own letters of intent & such. UGH... they want me to fill out THEIR papers, but they refuse to send them to me!

Has anyone else schooled 2 grade-school kiddies at once? It took me 6-7 hours to school the two of them when my daughter was in kindergarten! Now that she's in 1st grade, I'm wondering if we'll have enough hours in the day to get through EVERYTHING for both of them. Last year we had them on a rotation... DS schooled while DD had freetime, and then I'd school DD while DS was working on homework. It worked alright & I was hoping to keep to that as much as possible. But any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    love,
    mom

2. Squirrel

Squirrel Member

Wait, a packet???

What state are you in? You might consider checking with HSLDA before you sign anything. I've heard some killer horror storeis about packets, and you might not have to sign them. School districts like to bully.

3. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

I'm in MN... it's nothing they've not got a right to expect, they just insist that everything comes back on their pre-printed letterhead rather than in whatever form I choose to type it out in. I've given them an ultimatum though, per MACHE... get those packets to me by Labor Day, or take whatever I send you.
    love,
    mom

4. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

in TN, we have two options, either homeschool through a church umbrella school or register with the government schools. I chose the first option, even though the law is so very unconstitutional, because I really don't want the government dictating when, how, and what I teach my children. We unschool, and I don't plan on changing a thing just because my oldest is now officially in kindergarten. But the day I registered her, I got all emotional, shaky, and teary-eyed anyway! If you think teaching two children is gonna be rough, how can anyone expect a teacher with a room full of kids to teach anyone anything? ;) You'll do just fine. Think about all the different ways of teaching the same subject to both kids at the same time. I've found that most things are more intimidating when you try to overthink it before doing it. That once you get started, it's really not as hard as you thought it would be. If you haven't, join a homeschool support group. They will have lots of experience and support to offer you!!