who both knits AND crochets?

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by cerridwen, Jun 7, 2006.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

.... not many do both.... usually one or the other.

I've picked up on both... crochet is faster for me but I prefer the look of knit items...

2. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

I do both. But I am more a knitter.

3. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

i can do both, but knit far more than i crochet. I only crochet if I am working in the round, like hats and leg warmers.. everything else i knit.

4. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I do both, but prefer crochet.

I am also weird about it...I knit right-handed and crochet left-handed....(am left handed)

5. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

I'm left handed, but do both right handed... funny how us lefties are all so ambidextrious in our lives.

6. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

I learned how to knit, but I prefer to crochet. I find it's easier to pick up and put down for extended periods of time. :p

7. knitin.chick

knitin.chick Members

i do both knitting and crocheting and don't really know which i prefer....i really like them both.

8. Critter1223

Critter1223 Member

I am torn on which is really my favorite... I guess it depends what I am in the mood for, or an inspiration that leads me to either a knit or crochet project!:)

9. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I prefer crochet for that reason as well.... it's quicker, it's easier to undo to fix mistakes etc... but for some reason I just like the look of knit items better...

10. Faelwynn

Faelwynn Member

I can both knit and crochet, but I've been crocheting for many many years longer, and my knitting is still a bit sloppy xP

11. oshinn

oshinn Member

i do both. i go through stages. i prefer crochet because i have the attention span of an ashtray and i can get through a crochet project faster than a knitting project, but sometimes i just get the urge to knit. i find them both very soothing, no matter how frenetically i engage in them.

12. yugogypsy

yugogypsy Member

Try Knifty Knitter knitting looms, like giant spool knitting. You can also get long looms that you can either knit around and make wide tubes with for a double thickness blanket made in strips or knit back and forth to make flat pieces for a regular thickness blanket in strips.

Today, I'm using my Knit-A-Round-essentially the same as a Knifty Knitter, but a bit larger, to make a tea cozy.

I can only crochet in straight lines or granny squares, but if you do well in the round look on Crafttown.com for the "Juliet Cap" Pattern, very pretty and lacy cool for summer.

Lois

13. Alison Wonderland

Alison Wonderland Member

I do both! but I typically like to crochet more... but it really depends on what I'm making.

14. lolly_folly

lolly_folly Guest

they're both good for different things - crochet is quicker and better for making different shapes, but knitting is easier when you just want something to do with your hands.
    i intend to start spinning my own yarn soon, to get in touch more with the fibres i'm working with. :D

15. dynamohumm

dynamohumm Member

I can do both, but Im a much better knitter. If you give me a knit pattern I can follow it...but I need to be shown the stitches for a pattern in crochet

16. kquirt

kquirt Guest

i can do both pretty well, but i usually prefer to knit :)

i usually end up making hats and handwarmer thingers...

17. rubythroatedsparrow

rubythroatedsparrow Guest

I do both :) I like both for different reasons. I prefer knit for cozy winter jumpers and scarves. I like crochet for lots of other things like waistcoat type things, and various tops, and blankets! I find knitting takes up more time though, and I get really obsessed with wanting to finish the project so I end up knitting allll day.. :dizzy2:

18. HappyHardcoreHobbit

HappyHardcoreHobbit Member

I knit and crochet, both. I love them both very much. For smaller projects like amigurmi, I will crochet. For bigger projects like a purse or skirt, I will knit. I like to make things out of granny squares too, which I usually crochet.

Crocheting was much easier for me after I learned to knit. Holding the work was less awkward and I could do it on auto-pilot with ease. It's wonderful to know how to do both and incorporate both knitting and crochet into one project.

19. moonmamasgalaxy

moonmamasgalaxy Member

I do! I have too much time on my hands these days I guess. I crochet mostly, and usually not big projects any more. There was a time I knitted my childrens entire wardrobe!

20. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

im learning how to crochet.. i find it fiddly and hard and slow :(
    i can knit in straight lines.. also slow, but easier haha