Will the Nick Berg execution outrage the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by booshnoogs, May 12, 2004.

1. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Have you guys seen the videotaped beheading of Nick Berg? It's pretty gruesome. Do you guys think it will cause enough additional outrage in the U.S. to intensify the fighting that coalition soldiers are doing or will it weaken U.S. resolve?

Personally it upsets me off. I have a lot of trouble seeing a moral equivalance between the prison abuse and the beheading.

2. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

No shit it'll cause outrage, they freaking beheaded him, and it wasn't even swift. I doubt it's really reciprocation for the abuse scandals as much as it's the militants exploiting the situation to feed more fuel to the fire. The war's gonna get nastier, just hope it doesn't end up with Americans and Arabs going back and forth trying to one-up each other in mitigating brutal justice. The execution of the soldier was horrible but we've still got to avoid committing atrocities and show we'll never sink to their level. The only good I hope from this is maybe it will horrify those Arabs who are not extremists and realize what zealots the militants are. Though any Arab leader who is horrified will probably be too wary to publicly denounce it.

3. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

In a sense, I think we still have the moral high ground so to speak. The prison stuff was bad, don't get me wrong, but the US was already in the process of investigating it and trying to put a stop to it before CBS broke the story. Plus, as far as I know, the prison abuse didn't involve slowly and painfully killing anybody.

Somehow I don't expect the people who did the beheading to get investigated and court marshalled.

4. Mui

Mui Senior Member

who gives a fuck how a person dies? seriously... it doesnt matter how a person dies, but that they die... grusome this grusome that... this is a war... what do you expect?

5. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Does anyone have a link to the (complete) video? I haven't seen it because the pentagon-embedded US media has decided that it is far too disturbing for our delicate sensibilities. A quick web search failed to find anything, either...

6. Mui

Mui Senior Member

I really think that this whole thing is glamorized and used to drill support for the united states... people have been getting their heads chopped off for a long time... This is about as big of an issue as when an iraqi gets shot, or when an american gets shot... thats about it... Anyone who really thinks differently now because of the recent beheading must be insane... did anyone really think stuff like this was never going to happen? People are all for the war, until they realize all the shitty things that happen during a war...

7. Maverick

Maverick Banned

Lucifer, he wasn't a soldier. He was the owner of a telecommunication's company, he was trying to revive the radio broadcasting there. He was a civilian. They killed a civie, not a soldier.

And Mui, it does matter how a person dies. If they just shot him in the head, it wouldn't have been as bad. But they sawed off his head slowly. I haven't seen it, but I've heard on the news.

8. Mui

Mui Senior Member

how does it matter how a person dies? The fact is they are dead now... everything else is over with

9. LaughinWillow

LaughinWillow Member

Not to mention, all Americans sent to Iraq by the US government are there as a VIOLATION OF INTERNATIONAL LAW. Why are we expected to be more upset by this ONE incident when there are 10,000 Iraqi civilians dead - MANY of which died slow, horrible, painful, disgustingly gory deaths, I'm sure. But the people who slaughtered THOSE innocent people are HEROES? Fuck that stupid crap.

10. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

ellis this may work but for how long not sure as sites that host the file seem to be swamped or dossed http://www.evote.com/homepage/new_home.aspclick the thing at the right side of the screen thats says not for the faint hearted its a windows media file

11. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

hey EllisDTripp, if you find the video, could you post the the site where you got the video. likewise, i will do the same if i happen to find it. i've been looking for it too, practically all day. argh!

12. God

God Member

Yes, it will inflame the US, to send even more ignorant soldiers to Iraq to die. It sounds like a harsh thing to say, but perhaps the scum of the world needs to simply kill each other off.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

13. EllisDTripp

14. Mui

Mui Senior Member

holy fuck that video... i dont wanna watch it more than twice... i still think its no worse than being shot... altho it was a cruel death it wasnt that slow... they got the head off... he stopped screaming after a lil bit..
    definitely wasnt a saw

15. EllisDTripp

At the risk of being graphic, he would have stopped screaming as soon as the spinal cord or windpipe was severed....

16. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

I can't believe people want to watch the video. My advice is don't.

I have only seen the clip they saw fit to show on the news - the bit before the murder happens, and a few blurred-out stills from later on. That and knowing what happened was enough to make me feel sick.

Will it outrage the US? I certainly hope so. It outraged me. There is not one good thing to come out of this ill-advised invasion and occupation. Someone before said about the 10,000 Iraqi civilians "we" have killed. I am personally outraged and sickened by every one of those deaths, too.

17. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

still, americans look like the jackasses. the Arab nations have always done this for thousands of years. An eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth. If you steal, your hands are chopped off. Plus it is a war there, what do you think is going to happen?? The US has been a more moral nation, and to see soldiers taking incriminating photos, abusing iraqi prisoners and raping women is a little below the US standards (which was quite low to begin with).

18. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

it was a very gruesome video, but i still needed to see it. i don't like how the media can say what i can look at and what is good for people to view. but the video is very gruesome. almost made my mother sick, both my parents watched the whole video with me from beginning to finish. can't say that i did'nt warn them about what was going to happen either. but seeing it once is enough.

19. Changeyourlatitude

Changeyourlatitude Banned

Do you know who Lacy Peterson is? Why?

And, why do you know who she is and her unborn baby’s name?

Every city has hundreds of similar cases each year. So, why do you know a “non star’s” name? The press needs to fill talk or print space and time.

The number of soldiers killed in Iraq make “political statements” to be used as justification for staying or leaving. More people have been killed on the highways in the last 18 months in Puerto Rico than lost in Iraq? Where is the outrage?

Yes, the brutal killing of this guy is more public than the guy who had a similar fate in Pakistan. The video, like the video of the soldiers with the detainees sells. Grabs the audience like the picture of the naked girl at Mi Lei in Viet Nam.

Big mistake for the terrorist! Now we have people we can see in masks to hate directly! Stronger feelings will be formed than the ones held when we saw our countrymen and women doing wrong! They fucked up!

Changeyourlatitude

20. psychedelic_unclesam

psychedelic_unclesam Member

I agree. War is War, this video just captures the realities of war. Wake up and smell your tax dollars at work america.

Yes you.

And you.

And sadly, me.

We all make this possible.

I can find pictures of Iraqi civillians we have killed. Would you like to see them? I guaruntee there are many more dead civillians by our hands then by any Iraqi's.

Why did I watch it? I don't want to see it more than the once I did by the way . . . .

I watched it because I am curious of the reality of war.

I know that what gets to my senses and soul from this far away is rarely close to any truth.

I chose to bear the burden of awareness.

I chose to be aware of the reality of our world right now.

I chose to listen to the message: "IGNORANCE IS BLISS"

and step into reality, and out of the bliss of ignorance.

Honestly, that movie really hurt me deep. Not cuz he was american, cuz he was human.

The civilian's we kill in Iraq, and elsewhere, I've only seen still shots. Something about his screams touched my soul.

This is the world we have created, and I choose to be aware of it.